Titanium seatposts - advice/experiences?

armchair_spacem

Oct 19, 2003
I need a new seatpost (currently on a **** single-bolt ritchey that slips, no matter what I try). I'm considering an American Classic titanium for the (reputed) ride quality, the lengths it's available in - frame is steel semi-compact, and the AC clamop has about the right setback. Campag ti posts are too short (and probably too light). Any thoughts? I'm about 240lb - so should I consider Ti or just suck it up and buy a setback Thomson?:confused:

Originally posted by armchair_spacem
I need a new seatpost (currently on a **** single-bolt ritchey that slips, no matter what I try). I'm considering an American Classic titanium for the (reputed) ride quality, the lengths it's available in - frame is steel semi-compact, and the AC clamop has about the right setback. Campag ti posts are too short (and probably too light). Any thoughts? I'm about 240lb - so should I consider Ti or just suck it up and buy a setback Thomson?:confused:
I have used AC aluminum and ti posts for years without a single problem. I love the simplicity in the design. My weight has fluctuated over those years, 180-220, never had the seat clamp come loose. I do have a Control Tech post on my cross bike, but the design is overkill.

Originally posted by armchair_spacem
I would not waste my money on a Ti post for the 'comfort' factor. Your heft suggest somethng 'sturdy' not fashionable.

I have a Syncros Ti seatpost that I have used for approx. 10 yrs and love it. (Mainly because of it's dual bolt adjustment design like Thompson is using). I agree the 'ride/comfort' factor is a little over exagerated... My new bike due in Dec. will be coming with a Thompson seatpost (been told they're almost bullet proof). and FWIW that's what I would recommend. (As has been mentioned before here, ride quality can be more directly influenced by tyre size and inflation of same). ;)

Originally posted by Cipher
I have a Syncros Ti seatpost that I have used for approx. 10 yrs and love it. (Mainly because of it's dual bolt adjustment design like Thompson is using). I agree the 'ride/comfort' factor is a little over exagerated... My new bike due in Dec. will be coming with a Thompson seatpost (been told they're almost bullet proof). and FWIW that's what I would recommend. (As has been mentioned before here, ride quality can be more directly influenced by tyre size and inflation of same). ;)

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Cipher

Thomson gets a lot of respect around here also for strength and quality. Agree tires and inflation are going to be more critical to ride than the seatpost material. A vibration-dampening seat would probably make a noticeable difference, but I've never tried one. The SI Prolink looks interesting.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Thomson gets a lot of respect around here also for strength and quality. Agree tires and inflation are going to be more critical to ride than the seatpost material. A vibration-dampening seat would probably make a noticeable difference, but I've never tried one. The SI Prolink looks interesting.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I currently have SI Turbomatic quattro (the non-gel one) on my roadie, with the vibration-damping elastomers - it DOES suck up LOTS of road vibe compared to the many other non-elastomer saddles I've ridden on. HIGHLY recommended and especially popular with the big blokes around here. Same system as the prolink (I think).
I've managed to get my hands on a pre-loved AC aluminium post, which i've ridden on twice and like so far. I was looking for even more vibe damping if I could get it, without going to a carbon post (which would surely end in tears), hence my interest in titanium for it's reputed strength and damping properties (Boudreaux old mate - if you took a look at my bike you would NOT be calling me a fashion victim - remember that old Johhny Cash song "One piece at a time"??. );)

I have a TI American Classic seatpost on my Merlin Agilis comapact frame and I love it. I had surgery this winter on 2 herniated disks and I was riding again in early spring with not too much problem. I tried a Thomson (with no setback) to try and move forward a little (for the aero position) while preparing for an Ironman triathlon this summer and my back started to hurt with the Thomson. I put the AC back on and moved the seat forward a little and never had the back problems again. The only reason for the pain that I can think of is the seatpost being stiffer. Now I know this is an extreme case but I want every piece of comfort that I can get otherwise I may not be able to ride if the back acts up anymore. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I am only 165lbs so the Thomson might be better for your weight.

If you run a compact frame a Ti seatpost does make a differance. It is not a fashion statement. The more post showing the more a Ti post can absorb road shock

Aluminum = titanium = carbon. All the same in a seatpost. NO WAY can you feel a difference. I'd LOVE to give everyone who thinks there's a difference a blind test. Take it from me, I own a $200 carbon post. Ain't no diff.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. There is a differance between an Al post and a Ti post when used on a compact frame or mountain bike.

Originally posted by Aztec
Aluminum = titanium = carbon. All the same in a seatpost. NO WAY can you feel a difference. I'd LOVE to give everyone who thinks there's a difference a blind test. Take it from me, I own a $200 carbon post. Ain't no diff.

Just because you can't feel the difference doesn't mean it is not there. I am sure that a few years ago I would not have felt the difference between the posts but ever since my back was injured the Al post has caused pain and the Ti post has not. I am not saying that as soon as I get on the bike it feels different but after a 60-100 mile ride I have pain with one and not the other. I've had similar experiences with Metal Matrix frames from Specialized (mid 90's) or putting on stiff sidewall tires like Armadillos. It isn't something you feel right away, it is what you DON'T feel after hours of riding.