Titanium vs. Carbon Fiber

Roy Rogers

Sep 25, 2006
I would really like to hear from everyone on the differences in the two frame materials. I currently ride an aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat stays. I don't race and doubt that I will. Riding is mainly long rides, supported tours.

Carbon fiber is both lighter and stiffer than titanium. Carbon fiber's ride quality is very dead and muted. Titanium rides similar to steal, and is more durable than carbon fiber.

I personally believe that carbon fiber is the ultimate material for bicycles. Titanium is somewhat out of date and will probably not be around for much longer.

The other important factor is price range. If you have an idea of what price range I could give you some specific recomendations. Also what type of riding do you do?

You can start with this thread below and there are about a dozen others. Carbon vs whatever probably ranks about third on the "beat a dead horse" scale on this forum.
Just to add a note carbon frames vary just like other frame materials do.

http://cyclingforums.com/t361058.html

As other posters said, it is a subject that generates a lot of strong opinions.

Carbon is the future, but I think that we are still on the bleeding edge in terms of development.

Titanium is a known commodity, in the traditional alloy (3.2V) the tubing and welds are great by top manufacturers like Litespeed. The 6.4V utilized in the Ghisallo is superlight but the manufacture is a bit different.

I test road a lot of carbon bikes and spend a lot of time on fat tube aluminum (cannondale), almost 20 years. In my view, the Ti bikes (3.2V) being made by the better manufacturers today are superb for recreational cyclists. If you go down on a new Ti bike, it will be completely unharmed. Most of us will crash if we ride enough miles. The frame requires little maintenance beyond soap and water. Geometry and fit are huge factors for comfort, but I have yet to hear someone complain about the comfort of their Ti bike. Aluminum ride quality is hugely dependent on geometry. The old 2.8 first generation Cannondale was a stiff unforgiving bike.

muraski20 said:
Carbon fiber is both lighter and stiffer than titanium. Carbon fiber's ride quality is very dead and muted. Titanium rides similar to steal, and is more durable than carbon fiber.

I personally believe that carbon fiber is the ultimate material for bicycles. Titanium is somewhat out of date and will probably not be around for much longer.

Are you serious? or are you just trying to get us all started on this stuff.

Mish said:
Are you serious? or are you just trying to get us all started on this stuff.
I was wondering the same thing...I think there's a few pretty good Ti fab shops that'll disagree.