Titanium vs. Carbon-Fiber

A simple $15 torque key sold by Ritchey makes torquing CF components with 4mm fixing bolts and a 5Nm torque spec almost fool proof. The tool is small enough that it can go in a medium to large under seat bag. Doesn't eliminate the need for a torque wrench, but addresses many cockpit adjustments - especially for Ritchey products.

Not sure I buy the "oblivious end user" argument. I'm a newbie (2 seasons) and I know enough to use carbon grip and pay close attention to torque specs. Anyone who has read anything about carbon frames would have to be blind not to read of care and use warnings ... among the risk-to-life-and-limb warnings that permeate the Internet. Even the most mechanically disinclined usually hunts for some product comparison and validation of decision before buying. Inevitably that is when they will trip over this debate.

Why carbon forks on Ti frames ? If Ti is so good why not do the fork in Ti as well. Cost ?
Just curious.

Titanium is a great, strong and light material however carbon fiber is better. Yes it is easier to damage, just don't be a fool and be carefull.

know go out and get that carbon bike and enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted by cankiwi6 .

Why carbon forks on Ti frames ? If Ti is so good why not do the fork in Ti as well. Cost ?
Just curious.
CF forks are also found on steel and on aluminium frames, there must be some good technical reason. I know for example that a steel fork will damage an ALU frame in the long run, so you have to be careful when mixing materials on the bike construction.

Originally Posted by vspa .

Quote: Originally Posted by cankiwi6 .

Just curious.
CF forks are also found on steel and on aluminium frames, [COLOR= #ff0000]there must be some good technical reason.[/COLOR] I know for example that a steel fork will damage an ALU frame in the long run, so you have to be careful when mixing materials on the bike construction.

There is Carbon works like a dampener and takes the buzz out of road. Now image the whole bike made of carbon. That is one of the reasons Carbon is the best frame material.

Believe the only reason CF forks are preferred is that they can provide the necessary stiffness to ensure good handling and the strength margin desired at a much lower weight than any other material. As anyone with a good older steel bike knows, steel forks steer and ride well....they're just heavy.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Copied and pasted from Wikipedia.
Titanium alloys specific stiffnesses are also usually not as good as other materials such as aluminium alloys and carbon fiber, so it is used less for structures which require high rigidity

HMMMM....
Posted on this thread a while back. This is most likely the reason for the carbon forks.

Have to agree with MMMhills. Only explanation that makes sense to me. My Ti bike has carbon forks, seat post and bars.

for a PRO guy sprinting at 70 kph super extra rigidity makes sense. For me i chosed Ti because i wanted long long life for my investment, only because i couldn't find a good steel frame to buy.
btw now that im getting into good shape i did try some sprints with it, not bad sensations at all !

Originally Posted by MMMhills .

Quote: Originally Posted by vspa .

Just curious.
CF forks are also found on steel and on aluminium frames, [COLOR= #ff0000]there must be some good technical reason.[/COLOR] I know for example that a steel fork will damage an ALU frame in the long run, so you have to be careful when mixing materials on the bike construction.

There is Carbon works like a dampener and takes the buzz out of road. Now image the whole bike made of carbon. That is one of the reasons Carbon is the best frame material.

I can tell you never rode a TI bike. There are a lot of people who don't like CF bikes because they feel dead. Also carbon fiber will provide a stiffer ride. While it would mute high frequency vibration pretty well, it will not absorb bigger bumps as well. Titanium will give a softer ride, but won't be as stiff as carbon fiber. But there is racing ti on the market that uses large tubes that's every stiff as CF. Ti has been recognized as having the most comfortable ride of any frame material. And TI has the advantage of lasting a lifetime and much more abusable then CF, a simple chain mis-shift can screw up CF but not do anything to steel except remove some paint. One needs to note that there are no CF touring bikes, there's a reason, they won't hold up to the rigors of touring. BUT maybe someday someone will make a CF touring bike that will hold up.

I have steel and AL bikes and I much prefer steel. I've test rode many CF bikes and never found one that I liked because the road feel was numbing, or dead like, I didn't feel connected to the road, the road feedback was limited and they seemed twitchy. I'm currently in the market for a TI bike because I've test rode those before and really like the way they feel, and as another poster said, I too will not pay thousands of dollars for something only to have it last a 10 years so, I want it to last a lifetime like one of my steel bikes that has over 150,000 miles on it and is 27 years old, the best purchase I've ever made.

For someone to make a blank statement that one material is the best is living in a very shallow world. You have tourers out there that will tell you steel is the best, you have racers that still swear by AL and CF, you have others swear by TI. So it gets pretty well jumbled up in the real world. [SIZE= 12px]There are not any bad materials, only poor applications. This is definitely true with bike design and, when done well, both titanium, steel, and carbon fiber are excellent materials to be considering[/SIZE]

In the end your not right nor wrong...but neither am I, we're just different and like different things.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Quote: Originally Posted by MMMhills .

Quote: Originally Posted by vspa .

Just curious.

I can tell you never rode a TI bike. There are a lot of people who don't like CF bikes because they feel dead. Also carbon fiber will provide a stiffer ride. While it would mute high frequency vibration pretty well, it will not absorb bigger bumps as well. Titanium will give a softer ride, but won't be as stiff as carbon fiber. But there is racing ti on the market that uses large tubes that's every stiff as CF. Ti has been recognized as having the most comfortable ride of any frame material. And TI has the advantage of lasting a lifetime and much more abusable then CF, a simple chain mis-shift can screw up CF but not do anything to steel except remove some paint. One needs to note that there are no CF touring bikes, there's a reason, they won't hold up to the rigors of touring. BUT maybe someday someone will make a CF touring bike that will hold up.

I have steel and AL bikes and I much prefer steel. I've test rode many CF bikes and never found one that I liked because the road feel was numbing, or dead like, I didn't feel connected to the road, the road feedback was limited and they seemed twitchy. I'm currently in the market for a TI bike because I've test rode those before and really like the way they feel, and as another poster said, I too will not pay thousands of dollars for something only to have it last a 10 years so, I want it to last a lifetime like one of my steel bikes that has over 150,000 miles on it and is 27 years old, the best purchase I've ever made.

For someone to make a blank statement that one material is the best is living in a very shallow world. You have tourers out there that will tell you steel is the best, you have racers that still swear by AL and CF, you have others swear by TI. So it gets pretty well jumbled up in the real world. [SIZE= 12px]There are not any bad materials, only poor applications. This is definitely true with bike design and, when done well, both titanium, steel, and carbon fiber are excellent materials to be considering[/SIZE]

In the end your not right nor wrong...but neither am I, we're just different and like different things.

Well put. We all need to keep in mind when selecting a frame that our expectations of performance does not exceed the limitations of the materials.