Titanium vs Carbon Fiber

StoshZ

Dec 29, 2012
What are the pros and cons of Titanium vs Carbon Fiber road bikes.
I am 5' 9" and 190 lbs and I have been looking on Bikes Direct.

i think the titanium bike would be more durable. It is hard to say without evaluating the geometry and construction of a frame, i'd say that generally: titanium flexes a lot and a has a smooth rebound, where as carbon can be stiffer with a more snappy feel. I would say that in 2012, manufacturers have greater control tuning ride characteristics using carbon. both are great materials. i just purchased my first carbon frame a few weeks ago, and its taking me a while to trust its integrity. something makes me nervous about vehicles made of fabric and glue.

I have some back issues and was just wondering which would be easier on it.

Originally Posted by StoshZ .

I have some back issues and was just wondering which would be easier on it.
That has far more to do with the specific bike, its geometry and things like the wheels and tires you ride (and how much pressure you put in those tires) than the frame material itself. There are very compliant CF frames and very stiff titanium frames and the opposite ends of the spectrum as well.

daveryanwyoming said:
That has far more to do with the specific bike, its geometry and things like the wheels and tires you ride (and how much pressure you put in those tires) than the frame material itself. There are very compliant CF frames and very stiff titanium frames and the opposite ends of the spectrum as well.
Yup. You can't really compare bikes just by material since there are things in bike design that are much important. The most important characteristics of a bike are: the bike fit; the handling of the bike; the ride quality; and how the bike appeals to you. The best way to suss out those things is to to start test riding bikes. Do you currently ride? If so, what do you ride? Some things you can look for in a bike that will make for less stress on your back will be a bike with a longish wheelbase and longish chainstays. Those tend to soften the response of the rear of the bike to bumps. They also tend to make a bike more stable and less nervous, all else being equal. You might also look for a bike that has a "comfort" fit, i.e. a bike with shorter top tube and a taller head tube. Those things will tend to put in a more upright position which may help your back. I say may because it sometimes works. Two of the biggest factors in comfort and bump absorption are tire size and inflation pressure. Larger tires--i.e., wider tires--can be run at lower pressures and thus can absorb bumps and vibrations better than a skinnier tire pumped up to a higher pressure. If you want an example of a bike with a comfort fit, take a look at the Specialized Roubaix. I'm not suggesting you buy it but rather look at it's geometry compared to, say, a Specialized Tarmac. You can compare that Roubaix geometry to the bikes from Bikes Direct about which you are asking. As for Bikes Direct bikes, they're generally well regarded. They come with pretty high spec components for their price. If they have a weakness it's that they sometimes (possibly often) require some adjustment after the bike arrives. That adjustment done by a local bike shop won't cost much, so you'd still be getting a deal. The one thing you can't know about a Bikes Direct bike before it arrives is how it rides (handling and comfort).