Titanium vs Carbon vs Aluminium

Garry Lee

Guest
my friend mick lehane and i were hit by a car last week. i sustained a
severed extensor index finger tendon and three fractured fingers as my
hand went through windscreen. mick was thrown on the road and was
badly shaken. my bike (an aluminium trek mtb, roadised) which struck
the car amidships looks ok. mick is fine but his airborne titanium
frame folded and snapped. his richie carbon forks and wheel are fine.
i'll be off cycling for up to three months. am typing one handed,
hence no caps

http://www.pbase.com/gearoidmuar/image/85095874/original.jpg

On Sep 6, 4:07 am, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> my friend mick lehane and i were hit by a car last week. i sustained a
> severed extensor index finger tendon and three fractured fingers as my
> hand went through windscreen. mick was thrown on the road and was
> badly shaken. my bike (an aluminium trek mtb, roadised) which struck
> the car amidships looks ok. mick is fine but his airborne titanium
> frame folded and snapped. his richie carbon forks and wheel are fine.
> i'll be off cycling for up to three months. am typing one handed,
> hence no caps
>
> http://www.pbase.com/gearoidmuar/image/85095874/original.jpg

That weld on the downtube/headtube looks pretty strong!

On Sep 5, 11:07 am, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> mick is fine but his airborne titanium
> frame folded and snapped. his richie carbon forks and wheel are fine.

I still wouldn't try to reuse the fork.

Sorry to hear you're sidelined. Good luck with your recovery!

On Sep 5, 10:24 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 5, 11:07 am, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > mick is fine but his airborne titanium
> > frame folded and snapped. his richie carbon forks and wheel are fine.

> I still wouldn't try to reuse the fork.
>
> Sorry to hear you're sidelined. Good luck with your recovery!

thanks. have decided to walk off 20lb weight during lay-off. 5lb gone
already!!! always take advantage of a disadvantage

On Sep 5, 11:24 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> I still wouldn't try to reuse the fork.

First thought.
Very, very sorry to hear about the mishap.

Second.
Don't let him trust that fork.

Third.
The title seems rather inappropriate.

Happy and speedy recovery to you two.

Sergio
Pisa

On Sep 5, 1:07 pm, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> my friend mick lehane and i were hit by a car last week. i sustained a
> severed extensor index finger tendon and three fractured fingers as my
> hand went through windscreen. mick was thrown on the road and was
> badly shaken. my bike (an aluminium trek mtb, roadised) which struck
> the car amidships looks ok. mick is fine but his airborne titanium
> frame folded and snapped. his richie carbon forks and wheel are fine.
> i'll be off cycling for up to three months. am typing one handed,
> hence no caps
>
> http://www.pbase.com/gearoidmuar/image/85095874/original.jpg

How did a motor vehicle come to impinge on your personal riding space?

Was there an investigation? Was "fault" found?

If such a finding was favorable to you and your riding companion, you
need to get a lawyer, quickly.

Insurance companies in such cases (don't let them fool you!) write
checks for new bikes and take all the old parts to sell for salvage.

IOW, let someone who is willing to risk their life riding heavily
crashed components do so. That for sure will not be your fault <g>.

Loss of work, medical bills, pain and suffering should also be
compensated.

Nothing wrong with a good 'ol civil suit, either, or at least a trip
to small claims court, if the MV driver screwed up OR deliberately hit
you.

Witnesses? --D-y

Foolish young driver parked on country road attempted to do U turn as
we were passing her. Also on a continuous white line and 15 metres
from a bend!! We had noticed no-one in car, Her insurance company have
accepted full liability. The police intend to prosecute her. A third
friend who is an insurance man was riding behind and gave a good
account to the police. But the position of the car across the road was
all the evidence the police needed.

Thanks Sergio. In six weeks the others are starting a tour in pisa!!!
but i won't be able to ride for maybe 12 weeks

On 6 Set, 19:39, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Sergio. In six weeks the others are starting a tour in pisa!!!
> but i won't be able to ride for maybe 12 weeks

A tour pendente in Pisa?
Come along and we'll fix you.
Rather, we can straighten up you too.

Sergio
Pisa

In article <[email protected]>,
Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

> my friend mick lehane and i were hit by a car last week. i sustained
> a severed extensor index finger tendon and three fractured fingers as
> my hand went through windscreen. mick was thrown on the road and was
> badly shaken. my bike (an aluminium trek mtb, roadised) which struck
> the car amidships looks ok. mick is fine but his airborne titanium
> frame folded and snapped. his richie carbon forks and wheel are fine.
> i'll be off cycling for up to three months. am typing one handed,
> hence no caps
>
> http://www.pbase.com/gearoidmuar/image/85095874/original.jpg

Wow, that sucks! I hope that you heal up well and soon!

On 6 Set, 19:38, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Foolish young driver parked on country road attempted to do U turn

Over there most people do U turns clockwise.
Just stupid, that's what it is.
Nobody's fault, really.

Sergio
Pisa

garry i am glad that you are ok

peter

news:[email protected]...

sergio wrote:

> Just stupid, that's what it is.
> Nobody's fault, really.

I don't know that I would say that. From the description the driver
really should have looked for traffic before trying such a stunt, or
driven forward a bit to where it might be safe to turn around. Sounds
like her fault to me.

--

David L. Johnson

Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and Excellence.