General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

tj's cioppino part 2

Started by Teri · · Last activity · 3 posts · 306 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 March 2005
Last activity
24 March 2005
Original author
Teri
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
306
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I, too, have a jar of the TJ Cioppino sauce in my cupboard - and have some
    even more basic questions about using it. Do I put the seaford in it raw
    and just simmer it cooked? For how long do I simmer? If i use frozen raw
    seafood (like shrimp) - should I defrost it first? I need really step by
    step directions. Thanks.
    Teri

  2. Teri said:

    I, too, have a jar of the TJ Cioppino sauce in my cupboard - and have some
    even more basic questions about using it. Do I put the seaford in it raw
    and just simmer it cooked? For how long do I simmer? If i use frozen raw
    seafood (like shrimp) - should I defrost it first? I need really step by
    step directions. Thanks.

    Since I used to do this all the time, I'll jump in. Frozen first.
    With TJ's complete frozen meal the fish and sauce are in seperate
    packs and frozen solid. You bring the sauce to a full boil and
    then toss in all the frozen seafood at once. Bring back to a low
    boil and stirring about once a min, cook for between 7-8 mins,
    depending how fast your stove gets the now chilled sauce back up to
    temp. This will get the shrimp, fish, and scallops cooked without
    overcooking the mussels, which tend to go from not-cooked-enough to
    overcooked/tough very quickly. If you include mussels, they are the
    key, the ones to watch. With no mussels, and using unfrozen, I'd say
    go by the shrimp, 5-6 mins max. Make sure fish is cut in pieces no bigger
    than the shrimp. Top with a good parmesan or pecarino and enjoy.

    nb

  3. Teri said:

    I, too, have a jar of the TJ Cioppino sauce in my cupboard - and have
    some even more basic questions about using it. Do I put the seaford
    in it raw and just simmer it cooked? For how long do I simmer? If i
    use frozen raw seafood (like shrimp) - should I defrost it first? I
    need really step by step directions. Thanks.
    Teri

    It's hard to be specific without knowing what you plan to put in it,
    but yes, the basic idea is to cook the seafood by simmering it in the
    broth. You want it all cooked, but none of it overcooked, so you start
    with the item that will take the longest to cook and finish with the
    item that takes the least time to cook. Bear in mind that each time
    you put something new in the liquid will be cooled. Obviously, if the
    item is frozen it will take longer to cook but it probably doesn't
    matter whether you do that, or thaw it separately. The exception would
    be thick chunks of fish. Those you would want to thaw slowly
    beforehand, else the outside would get overcooked before the frozen
    center was thawed. If you have the time to plan it all ahead, my
    preference would be to thaw everything slowly and then cook it, as I
    think you might have better control over consistency that way.

    Some care will be rewarded but it's not something to stress over. It's
    still a seafood stew, not a plate of Dover sole that has to be cooked
    and plated within seconds of perfection. If it's good, people will
    have seconds and the second helping will be more cooked than the first,
    won't it? No big deal.

    We don't eat grated cheese with it, but if you like it, why not? -aem

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.