TK was exactly right. OT

On Jun 28, 10:19 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

[long post snipped]

Malawi's problem, as is true for several other countries in sub-
Saharan Africa, was an increase in agricultural intensity that meant
the land could not be left fallow. The short term solution is
decidedly non-market: it's government subsidies. As it is, Malawi is
in a slightly better situation than several of its neighbors, whose
problems won't be as easily addressed. BTW, the EU and US subsidize
land banking. If that land is taken out of fallow and put back into
production, what do you think the long term consequences are going to
be for soil fertility?

Twice recently you've laid the blame for problems in developing
countries to poor government. Stop being so Instapundit shallow.

Howard Kveck wrote:
> There is another factor: people in those countries have imported corn
> and other
> foodstuffs from the US because the price is lower than buying locally
> grown stuff. The reason the price for US produced goods like these is
> because of subsidies the US producers get. Local farmers can't afford to
> compete, hence they go under.

Another problem is use of subsidence farming instead of modern
agricultural techniques. Zimbabwe, for example, is one of the
most fertile countries in the region and before the Mugabe
land grab commercial farms produced enough food to feed the
country with plenty of capacity left over to grow their chief
export crop tobacco. Since the farm land were confiscated
the agricultural sector has completely collapsed and
Zimbabwe now relies on food handouts from the UN and NGOs.

ST wrote:
> Have you read any of the links that show how much energy it takes to make
> the biofuels we manufacture that were PUSHED into quick production to
> answer globalwarming scares!

The main factor driving ethanol from corn production is the current oil
price.

Bret wrote:
> You seem to be saying that growers have a moral obligation to produce food
> no matter the market forces involved. Why do you hate market forces? How
> many children could be fed with the corn used to produce the high fructose
> corn syrup that you consume Stevie?

Are we sure this really is Stevie and not a SchwartzSoft clone. I
mean he uses assbag but THE CAPITALS HAVE DISAPPEARED.