Tmj

bryanquinn

Jan 19, 2004
Hi all,
My TMJ has flared it's ugly head and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good natural way of dealing with this?
TIA,
BQ

Originally posted by bryanquinn
Hi all,
My TMJ has flared it's ugly head and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good natural way of dealing with this?
TIA,
BQ

Do you mean tibular mandibular joint disorder? I probably misspelled that... If so, any reason you don't want to see your doctor/dentist about it?

Originally posted by brightgarden
Do you mean tibular mandibular joint disorder? I probably misspelled that... If so, any reason you don't want to see your doctor/dentist about it?

LOI, or lack of insurance. LOL

LOI, or lack of insurance. LOL

Not to mention the fact that they normally put you on prednazone to relieve the swelling, and that stuff is bad news.

i was going to say that if you can afford it anyhow, it's worth it. I had TMJ about 10 years ago, did not have to go on steroids at all.

Just got fitted for a mouthpiece. At that time, tmj wasn't covered by any insurance, so it was all out of pocket for me (or on credit card, as it was). I cursed it at the time, but I'm glad I did something about it. My jaw and the cartilage was pretty badly damaged, and I only went in when I finally couldn't open my mouth very wide. I still use a mouthpiece, although now it's for keeping my teeth from grinding together. But since my jaw is re-aligned, the grind-prevention mouthpiece does the job of both (keeps jaw aligned as well).

Only time I ever had to go on prednazone was for a seriously bad case of poison ivy (just got clipless pedals and went on a single-track). bad idea...

Hi all,
TIA,
BQ

Heat.

I had a problem once and the dentist had me try to get rid of it myself first. I managed to do it with heat 4-5 times a day. Get one of those microwave heat packs or the like and wrap it in a damp towel. Also take an relaxer like asprin or whatever you choose. It took me about a week of being careful what I did and ate and lots of the mentioned heat, but it went away, and I've never had any more trouble.