To all DuraAce bottom bracket users

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
does any1 know how often to send it for servicing? and i wasjust wondering if its ok to spray lubricants like teflon plus and gt85 thru the outside into the little opening ?

Time between service is going to vary greatly depending on riding conditions. Dry, clean roads and low to moderate mileage might put you on a yearly schedule whereas wet or dirty conditions or high mileage could neccessitate an every other month service schedule.

I would recommend you buy one of the popular bicycle maintenance manuals. Overhauling and adjusting a bottom bracket is so much easier than I thought it would be.

I'm assuming you're talking about putting oil into the bb shell through the cable guide screw hole on the bottom of the shell? Don't do it. The oil could thin the grease on the bearings making them more susceptible to washing out and wearing down. Just take that screw out after a wet ride to drain any water in the bb shell, but don't put anything in.

hmmmz no actuallywhat i meant was spraying the lubricant thru the crank "round" circumference which looks like theres an opening ? not too sure though

if you've got a DA bb, you've got an complicated, over-engineered piece of ****. everyone I've ever seen needs constant adjustment and usually squeaks most of the time.

a one-piece ultegra bb is much better. screw it in, ride it 10,000 miles, pay $40 and put in another. no maintenance needed.

Weighing in at 177 grams, I don't mind a little adjustment once in a while with the Dura Ace BB

>"I don't mind a little adjustment once in a while with the Dura Ace BB".
However, most mechanics would suggest maintenance much more often than "once in a while" for the DA BB. Hence, unless you are a pro who has a mechanic to do it for you most days, the vast majority of riders would be better off with the Ultegra BB.