to buy or not to buy...

TrekCyclerChic

Dec 13, 2004
ok, so I'm a roadie, have been for a while. I went on a few mtn bike rides and love it as much as road riding, almost. despite the cars I think i'll still have less blood on a road bike than a mtn bike. anyways, I have a friend who wants me to buy his old mtn bike, now that he just bought a yeti (damn him). he wants $400 for it, and it's a deal. But I am going back to school in a a month and a half and won't have room to take it with me, if i also take my rd bike, which I don't leave behind. So... the question is do i buy the bike (yes money is tight) or take the money to get the aero bars I've really wanted for a while. After school this year, I will be relocating to either NYC or the Peace corps. so i'd be using it for max of a year, even if i did take it to school. the other downfall is that my friend selling it to me doesn't have a schedule that works with mine to ride together, and I don't have many (any) other mtn biking friends.

not sure what to do.

any oppinions??

Diana

If money is tight, you won't have room for the bike at school, and you're relocating after school.......I'd say don't buy the bike.:( Maybe you could sneek in a few more rides before school starts and analyze the situation again.

well IF you do get the bike, you dont really need to ride with someone to have fun...i started out riding with friends to know were to go and stuff but then as i started to have a different schedule and drift apart from them i went out on my own...and on your own is just as nice because you get total silence while riding and you can take it at your own pace...BUT if you are riding to get in shape then you want to ride with a friend, because it naturally makes you push your self harder to show-off i guess you could say

~Scott

TrekCyclerChic said:
ok, so I'm a roadie, have been for a while. I went on a few mtn bike rides and love it as much as road riding, almost. despite the cars I think i'll still have less blood on a road bike than a mtn bike. anyways, I have a friend who wants me to buy his old mtn bike, now that he just bought a yeti (damn him). he wants $400 for it, and it's a deal. But I am going back to school in a a month and a half and won't have room to take it with me, if i also take my rd bike, which I don't leave behind. So... the question is do i buy the bike (yes money is tight) or take the money to get the aero bars I've really wanted for a while. After school this year, I will be relocating to either NYC or the Peace corps. so i'd be using it for max of a year, even if i did take it to school. the other downfall is that my friend selling it to me doesn't have a schedule that works with mine to ride together, and I don't have many (any) other mtn biking friends.

not sure what to do.

any oppinions??

Diana
This really is a no brainer...If you spend most of your time on the road bike and $400 is alot of money and you can afford to spend that money on anything other than essentials then get the bars...You can always borrow the mountain bike... :D