To clip or not to clip?

Ben

New Member
Mar 13, 2003
Bent riders,

So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.

Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.

Thanks,
Ben

On 4 Apr 2003 02:30:22 +0950, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

>So, do you use clips or clipless pedals?

Speedplay X clipless.

>I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was starting from a slight incline and my foot was
>clipped into my pedal.

Welcome to the club.

>Share your wisdom with me.

Practice makes perfect.

-- Robert, 24" Vision Saber

I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was starting from a slight incline and my foot was
clipped into my pedal. Ben,

Good question!! To reduce startup problems,I have trained myself to do the following:

1. Always unclip both sides at stops.
2.Always down shift to lower gear at stops. 3 start up inclipped, with pedals under my arch.

There is no denying that start up is harder on a bent. Allow for that with the new habits.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

> Bent riders,
>
> So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
> starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.
>
> Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.

I generally do not clip in until I am underway. The only 'events' that I have experienced have been
after stopping and these have been few.

I believe that some restraining device to keep the feet on the pedals is necessary for safety on a
recumbent especially a SWB.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

I beat that one...I think I'm going into shock shortly. I just tried to ride up a garage ramp and
2/3 of the way up one foot came off the pedal and when I hit the brakes to stop going backwards I
turned the front wheels and came down the ramp with the bent sideways. I cannot go to emergency
cause this SARS epidemic has shut down all the friggin hospitals. I am okay except about 4 x 2
inches of skin peeled back from my wrist and it burns like hell...this one hand tying is cool.

So far, took aspirin, washed area with cold water, covered area with polysporin, added large gauze
pad and wrapped with adhesive tape. Anyone have any other advice for this...like Ice or Heat? can
never remember which is better. Ironic that I did this on a tadpole after deciding 2 wheelers were
too dangerous...given my chaotic riding style...seems I was wrong...ouch.

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 02:30:22 +0950, Ben wrote:

> Bent riders,
>
> So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
> starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.

I used to do that even without clipless pedals. E.g. in front of a line of traffic, trying to
start away when the lights changed. Funnily, I haven't had that sort of accident since going
clipless, though.

> Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.

People enjoy the pain of others. Think how many people's days you lightened - so long as your
injuries are superficial.

How long have you been riding; what do you ride, and what style pedals do you use?

Kit

> Thanks, Ben

I am a believer in clipless pedals for recumbents. (How does one clip into a clipless pedal?). What
happened to you has surely happened to the rest of us at one time or another. We can only hope there
were no witnesses. If not, then hopefully it was only a small gathering of people you don't know and
will never see again.

Clipless pedals keep your feet on the pedals which is important on a recumbent to avoid leg suck.
That's when a foot comes off a pedal and hits the ground causing your leg to be sucked under the
bike. You don't want that to ever happen to anybody.

By the way, how is the cleat retention set on you pedals? I keep mine on the low side for an easy
out in emergencies.

skip

news:[email protected]...

Ben wrote:
> So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
> starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.

Speedplay Frogs

> Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.

I've never fallen down due to clipless pedals, though I've had a few close calls. In emergency
situations I've found that I unclip without even thinking about it. Last weekend I was riding along
at about 20 MPH and enjoying the scenery (one problem with bents, looking around too much) and
drifted off the side of the road! Somehow during the inevitable crash I managed to not only unclip,
but end up standing in front of the bike... answered the big "what if..." question. :)

Kit, and others,

I didn't realize I'd become a member of such an elite club! Apparently, I need to be thankful it wasn't worse than it was.

I'm just getting used to my new Burley Canto. I'm using Shimano SPD pedals; the one's with the clips on one side and the flat surface on the other side. I usually opt for versatility.

I only scrapped and bruised my elbow. I was just beginning to push off with my left foot--up an incline--lost mometum and just laid down on my left side. I felt stupid, but my foot just would not come out of the clip.

I'm going to follow all the advice. First, I'm going to adjust the clip. Second, I'm going to unclip both feet at every stop. Third, I will only reclip once I'm under way.

But, from what you brothers are saying, it's nearly inevitable that it will happen again anyhow.

Helmets all around!!!!!
Ben

Originally posted by Kit Wolf
On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 02:30:22 +0950, Ben wrote:

> Bent riders,
>
> So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
> starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.

I used to do that even without clipless pedals. E.g. in front of a line of traffic, trying to
start away when the lights changed. Funnily, I haven't had that sort of accident since going
clipless, though.

> Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.

People enjoy the pain of others. Think how many people's days you lightened - so long as your
injuries are superficial.

How long have you been riding; what do you ride, and what style pedals do you use?

Kit

> Thanks, Ben

>So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
>starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.

I have "always" used toe clips and straps. People usually don't like them, perhaps they look
old-fashioned or something... If the straps are set loose enough, you can get foot on the ground
instantly to prevent falling.

There are huge advantages to clipping in. But...

1. I keep the tension loose so that I can pull out during a panic. (multi-release cleats would help even more)

2. I use high quality Shimano pedals because they are so smooth PD-M747. (Entry and exit)

3. I use double-sided pedals to make clipping in easier.

4. I always downshift (way down) when I come to a stop.

5. I unclip both feet if conditions warrant.

6. I always start up with one shoe clipped in (makes it easy to position crank too)

I've panicked several times, but have always been able to pull out (lucky me). Keeping the tension loose enough is really the key.

>> So, do you use clips or clipless pedals?

I use Lake mtn bike shoes with spd's on shimano 515 pedals.

> I am a believer in clipless pedals for recumbents.

I also.

> What happened to you has surely happened to the rest of us at one time or another.

Yes, it is still in the future for me but I am confident it is there.

> Clipless pedals keep your feet on the pedals which is important on a recumbent to avoid leg suck.

Last time it did that was on a Honda quad, in Baja, a 250R. I think I put a foot down, then ran over
it with the rear wheel. Alls I know fer sure is that suddenly I wuz face down on the sand dune, the
quad jumping up and down on top of me, my full-face helmet forced into dirt so far I had dirt pushed
into my nose and mouth.

> By the way, how is the cleat retention set on you pedals? I keep mine on the low side for an easy
> out in emergencies.

I wiped out about six months ago and my ankle acts like it will take a year or two to heal. I landed
on it sideways at speed. The grass stains are still on the shoe. It was because my pedal came
un-clipped on a corner at high speed and rpm. I hit a curb and went a$$ over teakettle. Now days I
test my tension at LOW speed by trying to pull the shoe out. I have a trust issue, I know. I cranked
up the tension on the pedals to give me a secure feeling. Next time when I go down and twist an
ankle off I may regret this.

> > Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I
> don't want to do that again if possible.

Oh, it's always possible to do that again! :)

My wisdom is like Robert Stevahn's... "Practice makes perfect."

I just took it ever so carefully, practiced un-clipping and stopping (neuro-muscular training?)
enough times that un-clipping became intrinsically linked with stopping.

I spin purdy fast.. I wuz doing way over 100 rpm when I crashed. I gotta have the spds for
confidence. Also it lowers fatigue by allowing my muscles to only worry about supplying motive
force, I don't need to expend energy keeping my foot in the toe-clips as I used to do.

skip wrote:
> ... Clipless pedals keep your feet on the pedals which is important on a recumbent to avoid leg
> suck. That's when a foot comes off a pedal and hits the ground causing your leg to be sucked under
> the bike. You don't want that to ever happen to anybody....

Even those who refuse to believe in the inherent moral goodness of free markets? ;)

Didn't hurt 1/10th as much as suffering a leg suck incident! I always unclipped both feet coming
into a stop and took off unclipped though I was usually in after the first stroke. Now I ride a
trike, never a problem! :)

> skip wrote:
> > ... Clipless pedals keep your feet on the pedals which is important on a recumbent to avoid leg
> > suck. That's when a foot comes off a pedal and hits the ground causing your leg to be sucked
> > under the bike. You don't want that to ever happen to anybody....
>
> Even those who refuse to believe in the inherent moral goodness of free markets? ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Leg suck is a very ugly thing - so no exceptions.

By the way when I was in school I was taught a free market was basically the sum total at any given
time of the voluntary choices that families and individuals made by their voluntary cooperation and
trade. The market has no personality, morality or immorality, goodness or badness. It is what it is
at any point in time - the sum of voluntary choices of those voluntarily participating. They seem to
be teaching something quite different these days.

Surely you must treasure the freedom this country gives you to speak out on whatever it is you have
chosen to refuse to believe.

skip

I learned to ride clipless mountain biking. My first pedals came with instructions that were
photocopied so often, they were illegible. So...naturally, thinking I was setting tension at it's
loosest (and having no patience), I set it at its tightest. LOTS of Arte Johnson tumbles on that
first ride, usually as I caught up to the pack as they waited for stragglers. They made more stops
that day, just to see the show, I'm sure. On a bent, I can't picture not being clipped in,
especially for climbing. I unclip both to stop, but then clip on in while stopped, clip the other in
after one or two spins when I take off.

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bent riders,
>
> So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
> starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.
>
> Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.
>
> Thanks, Ben

On 4 Apr 2003 02:30:22 +0950, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bent riders,
>
>So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
>starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.
>
>Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.
>
>Thanks, Ben

Does anyone in the group have experience with the POWER GRIP strap system??? I"m a new bent rider,
and never thought about this leg suck thing. What situations seem to lend themselves to this
accident? Thanx in advance. RON W

I am old enough to have used (survived) the straps, used as intended on my old DF. With a thick
metal cleat on the shoe (or deep rubber ridge on the sole). The cleat had a transverse slot into
which fit into the edge of the pedal. Then the strap was pulled tight to lock in. Releasing entailed
whacking the buckle to the outside on the upstroke. Now that was excitement! So the new clipless
pedals are absolutely wonderful.

I mention this only to query why folks would bother to use the straps loose. Most of the advantages
of firm attachment to the pedal are lost: ability to pull BACK while the opposite leg pushes forward
(for me the most significant advantage), ability to spin and stay attached to the pedal, and not
have the leg drop down (suck). Occasional ankling, and other muscle distributions/configurations are
possible, to make for a much more efficient pedalling action.

But simultaneously pulling back makes for makes for a much more efficient stroke, and markedly
lessens the forces on the knees, especially on hills. Obviously, with fast spinning the forces are
greatly decreased anyway.

Sonny

> I have "always" used toe clips and straps. People usually don't like them, perhaps they look
> old-fashioned or something... If the straps are set loose enough, you can get foot on the ground
> instantly to prevent falling.

> Does anyone in the group have experience with the POWER GRIP strap system??? I"m a new bent rider,
> and never thought about this leg suck thing. What situations seem to lend themselves to this
> accident?

In a pedaling situation where you are horizontal, it is possible for the foot to follow gravity down
to the road below. Places likely to cause that are R/R tracks, Potholes and just being inattentive.
SPDs and other pedal systems allow the foot to hang on the pedal while the leg is horizontal Power
grips use a twisting motion to cinch the foot onto the pedal. Some have found this pinching of the
foot uncomfortable others prefer them over pedal systems.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was starting from a slight incline and my foot was
> clipped into my pedal. Ben,
>
> Good question!! To reduce startup problems,I have trained myself to do the following:
>
> 1. Always unclip both sides at stops.
> 2.Always down shift to lower gear at stops. 3 start up inclipped, with pedals under my arch.
>
> There is no denying that start up is harder on a bent. Allow for that with the new habits.
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

Excellent advise Tom, I agree with your procedure, however I have one thing to add: Starting off
unclipped, particularly through busy intersections is helped in my opinion by using a pedal that
provides a large platform. Some of the clipless pedals have small slippery platforms that do not
inspire confidence during this procedure. My favorite is the new Time Contol Z pedal (designed for
downhill MTB fans), although the traditional rattrap one side with SPD and one side without work
fine as well.

Gene (BikeE NX, Burley Taiko )