To clip or not to clip?

I use Power Grips (in Winters only), but I thought I'd add something about them no one mentioned.
When your foot is "strapped in", more of your foot (the bottom of your foot) is on the pedal. When
you use cleats the area on the pedal is more forward on the sole of your foot. In some cases people
have problems using ONLY cleats and I thought, Shimano makes a pedal that will accept Power Grips on
one side and cleats on the other side...although silly looking, it might not be a bad idea to
alternate between the 2 foot holding systems...for those who have foot problems....just a thought.
"Ron W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> On 4 Apr 2003 02:30:22 +0950, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Bent riders,
> >
> >So, do you use clips or clipless pedals? I just rolled my bent over yesterday because I was
> >starting from a slight incline and my foot was clipped into my pedal.
> >
> >Share your wisdom with me. That hurt (my ego too) and I don't want to do that again if possible.
> >
> >Thanks, Ben
>

> Does anyone in the group have experience with the POWER GRIP strap system??? I"m a new bent rider,
> and never thought about this leg suck thing. What situations seem to lend themselves to this
> accident? Thanx in advance. RON W

"Ron W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone in the group have experience with the POWER GRIP strap system??? I"m a new bent rider,
> and never thought about this leg suck thing. What situations seem to lend themselves to this
> accident? Thanx in advance. RON W

You might want to do an arbr google search on power grips. Some like them some don't. I've used them
on a mtb and thought they were ok but harder to get out of than clipless if you are wearing lugged
mtb shoes. The lugs would tend to catch on the rat trap pedal while I was pulling back to get out of
the power grip preventing a quick and easy exit. And as far as I know, power grips only fit rat trap
pedals. If I loosened the grips to make removal easy then they less able to keep my foot on the
pedal. I prefer clipless spd's.

My near leg suck event occurred while I was spinning furiously down a steep hill. Silly me on maybe
my second ride wanted to see if my new recumbent was stable over 40mph. My foot came off the pedal
and hit the ground, but fortunately didn't get sucked under. The bike (Ryan Vanguard) was
destabilized to its absurd limits, but it somehow managed recover and straightened up. I went
immediately home, changed underwear, and drove to the LBS to get a set of spd's. The experience made
an immediate clipless for recumbents believer out of me.

skip

Markku Poysti wrote:
> I have "always" used toe clips and straps. People usually don't like them, perhaps they look
> old-fashioned or something... If the straps are set loose enough, you can get foot on the ground
> instantly to prevent falling.

If the straps are that loose, then the benefits of the retention system are mostly lost. I
ocassionally use clips and straps, and don't keep them extremely tight, but I've still found that
I've had more "almost fell" incidents with those than with clipless pedals! I find one of the
biggest benefits of clipless systems is their predictability during release!

PS: Rain soaked shoes and straps don't play well...

-Rex

ST <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am old enough to have used (survived) the straps, used as intended on my old DF. With a thick
> metal cleat on the shoe (or deep rubber ridge on the sole). The cleat had a transverse slot into
> which fit into the edge of the pedal. Then the strap was pulled tight to lock in. Releasing
> entailed whacking the buckle to the outside on the upstroke. Now that was excitement! So the new
> clipless pedals are absolutely wonderful.
>
> I mention this only to query why folks would bother to use the straps loose. Most of the
> advantages of firm attachment to the pedal are lost: ability to pull BACK while the opposite leg
> pushes forward (for me the most significant advantage), ability to spin and stay attached to the
> pedal, and not have the leg drop down (suck). Occasional ankling, and other muscle
> distributions/configurations are possible, to make for a much more efficient pedalling action.
>
> But simultaneously pulling back makes for makes for a much more efficient stroke, and markedly
> lessens the forces on the knees, especially on hills. Obviously, with fast spinning the forces are
> greatly decreased anyway.
>
> Sonny
>
> > I have "always" used toe clips and straps. People usually don't like them, perhaps they look
> > old-fashioned or something... If the straps are set loose enough, you can get foot on the ground
> > instantly to prevent falling.

Remember nailed on cleats and leather Binda straps!The so called good old days,No I don't want to go
back!!! Von:Rans Screamer and V-REX (It;s not what you ride but that you ride)

>I mention this only to query why folks would bother to use the straps loose. Most of the advantages
>of firm attachment to the pedal are lost: ability to pull BACK while the opposite leg pushes
>forward (for me the most significant advantage), ability to spin and stay attached to the pedal,
>and not have the leg drop down (suck). Occasional ankling, and other muscle
>distributions/configurations are possible, to make for a much more efficient pedalling action.

I'm riding a Vision R42 (20/26 and lately 26/26), so maybe the pedals are not high enough to cause
feet slipping from the pedals. At least this has only happened once, when i was demonstrating riding
down stairs (i had suspension then). Even then my foot did not go down much, i just rode the rest of
the stairs with one foot in the air...

My feet are all the time in about 45 degrees angle on the pedals.

When riding on ice i have learned to instinctively put one foot down when front wheel begins to
slide. (this is harder to do with 26/26 version, because the seat is rather high).

The clips and straps just keep the feet in correct place on the pedal. I don't believe in the pedal
pulling thing.