TO DYE OR NOT TO DYE

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Ayurved & you

    To dye or not to dye

    By Dr R. Vatsyayan The Tribune Wednesday, June 2, 2004

    Graying of hair is no longer a problem of the 40-plus
    generation only. People much younger in age, including school-
    going children, complain to have grey hair. A large number
    of them use hair dyes much before they reach
    30. Once used , these dyes fast turn the remaining
    black hair into grey ones, and the person is left
    with no other choice than to use them for the rest
    of one’s life.

    Though greying of hair is generally considered a sign of old
    age, its early onset never makes a person to qualify for it.
    Modern medicine believes that hair turning grey is just one
    of those mysteries that we have yet to solve. Ancient
    ayurvedic texts, while calling it "palitya", mention a
    number of conditions which prompt its early onset. Apart
    from the heredity factor, adoption of a diet which is
    excessively salty, sour and pungent in taste leading to the
    vitiation of "pitta" and "vata", psychological upheavals and
    mental stress associated with a wrong working schedule and
    certain chronic ailments like sinusitis have been given as
    the reasons for the early onset of greying.

    The lure of looking young by changing the hair colour is as
    old as the problem of greying of hair is. In the present era
    when more and more dyes are in vogue, the decision of
    changing the hair colour has become more complicated because
    some studies have linked colouring with an increased risk of
    contacting certain cancers. To make matters more confusing,
    other studies do not support those findings. Consumers are
    often on their own consequently, when deciding whether hair
    dyes are safe or not.

    Several studies have broadly tried to pinpoint the risks of
    various health problems among the users of chemical hair
    dyes. These include short-term side-effects like allergic
    reactions, dermatitis, eczema, and small episodes of visual
    disturbances and headache associated with nausea and
    vomiting. Researchers are busy finding the long-term effects
    of hair dyes. The failure in reaching any conclusion only
    supports the doubt that many of these dyes are not only
    carcinogenic but can also start degenerative diseases like
    cataract quite early.

    Most of the hair dyes sold in the market carry a brochure
    indicating certain precautions. Whereas old dye users are
    advised to adopt moderation, new recruits should use good
    judgment to delay to opt for it. One should never dye the
    eyebrows and eyelashes as an allergic reaction to dye can
    result in serious damage to the eyes. The less hair dye used
    over a lifetime, the less likely it is for a person getting
    exposed to its side-effects. Persons looking for a herbal
    hair dye should be aware of fact that pure henna is green in
    colour and the various preparations sold as "kali mehandi"
    are nothing but chemical dyes.

    Ayurved views that in the case of untimely greying of hair,
    it is best to opt for an early treatment. Of many medicines
    prescribed in ancient texts to arrest greying, amla and
    bhringraj are considered the best. Ayurvedic physicians put
    a lot of trust on "amlaki rasayan", a fortified form of amla
    made by stirring its dried powder in its fresh juice.
    Similarly, various oils prepared by boiling other herbs,
    including these two, in sesame oil are given to massage the
    scalp. "Saptamrit lauha" is another classic medicine which
    shows good results in younger patients complaining of
    greying of hair.

    The treatment of grey hair is successful only if the patient
    gives due attention to his diet and daily schedule and
    avoids mental stress. If he is suffering from chronic and
    recurrent cold and sinusitis, adequate treatment should be
    given to cure it.

    - The writer is a Ludhiana-based ayurvedic consultant

    More at: http://www.tribuneindia.com

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Tags:

  2. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    "Dr. Jai Maharaj" wrote:

    > Several studies have broadly tried to pinpoint the risks
    > of various health problems among the users of chemical
    > hair dyes. These include short-term side-effects like
    > allergic reactions, dermatitis, eczema, and small episodes
    > of visual disturbances and headache associated with nausea
    > and vomiting. Researchers are busy finding the long-term
    > effects of hair dyes. The failure in reaching any
    > conclusion only supports the doubt that many of these dyes
    > are not only carcinogenic but can also start degenerative
    > diseases like cataract quite early.

    You mean like this person?

    http://www.geocities.com/naturopathicmafia/mafia.jpg

    Does mental deterioration count as a degenerative disease?