To get there and back makes it a good ride!

Sep 10, 2009
I am 232 lbs, 5' 11", age 62. Recently retired, I ride an on road 22 mile round trip 3 times a week as weather permits. I ride a 3 speed 26" X 1 3/8" tires with Ape hanger bars. I also ride a single speed converted from a mountain bike with raised handlebars. I was a long haul trucker for the last six years. I don't have a target weight in mind but will let nature take it's course. I also have an exercise machine for rainy days.

51.50 said:
I am 232 lbs, 5' 11", age 62. Recently retired, I ride an on road 22 mile round trip 3 times a week as weather permits. I ride a 3 speed 26" X 1 3/8" tires with Ape hanger bars. I also ride a single speed converted from a mountain bike with raised handlebars. I was a long haul trucker for the last six years. I don't have a target weight in mind but will let nature take it's course. I also have an exercise machine for rainy days.

Have at it and keep it up.

You're the same height as me and a few years ago I was above 225lb. Now the weight varies around between mid 170s and 180s. There more left to come off for sure... but that's more dependant on weening myself off the beers. :p

Have fun riding the bike... but I'd at least stick a front brake on the single speed bikes, especially the blue one. The old 'face on asphalt' trick isn't the best way to stop - brake(s) are much more elegant and a less painful way to stop.

=1 ON THE BRAKES, US HEAVIER GUYS HIT THE PAVEMENT HARD WHEN WE GO DOWN!!

sorry didn't mean to shout:)

51.50 said:
Target weights are overrated, really.

I started doing some serious riding this year - 5'9", was 235 when I started, got myself down around 215. Ideally I'd like to hit about 180, but at 215 I looked great and felt great. THAT is more important than some arbitrary number.

way to get started! I'm 5' 10" 222lb, 230 2 months ago when started riding. Its more about how I feel and how the clothes fit than the number on the scale though. I'm riding 3-4 times a week, 13-22 miles each ride depending on the trail I'm on. Now its cold and the weather is reducing the number of rides. If I could decrease the eating, more pounds would come off too.

rawhite1969 said:
If I could decrease the eating, more pounds would come off too.
Well, of COURSE you'd lose weight faster if you ate less (and in my case, gave up the barley pops).....but what fun would that be? :cool: