To give way or not to give way

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by OzCableguy, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    Intersection below (cnr of Keong & Albany Ck Rds if anyone knows the area)
    has traffic lights at the stop line, but the stop line itself conspicuously
    does not extend across the bike lane making it seem like bikes do not need
    to stop at a red light here. Could this be the case?

    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |______________________
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    <----- Traffic entering
    | | | |
    | | | |__________Stop
    Line___________________________________________
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | | |
    | |
    | | ^ | |
    | |
    | | | | |
    | |
    | | | | |
    | |
    | | | | |
    | |
    | | Bike | |
    | |

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    OzCableguy wrote:

    > Intersection below (cnr of Keong & Albany Ck Rds if anyone knows the area)
    > has traffic lights at the stop line, but the stop line itself conspicuously
    > does not extend across the bike lane making it seem like bikes do not need
    > to stop at a red light here. Could this be the case?

    <snip diagram>

    I know that intersection, and there's also a similar situation at one
    spot along Samford Rd, as you head in towards the city, just past the
    rail crossing - although I'm not sure if it's a marked bike lane there.

    I was taught the following: Regardless of whether there's a stop line,
    you have to stop. The stop line present at red lights and stop signs is
    a redundancy.

    I haven't looked it up to check.

    Tam

  3. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    Hmmm... ascii diagram was a disaster. Let's try again.
    In this image - http://members.optushome.com.au/apickford/drive/I-044.JPG
    Bike lane is on the left of the blue car.
    The stop line does not extend across the bike lane.
    When the blue car has a red light, must bikes in the bike lane also stop?
    (I've always assumed they do but don't want to look like a dill if I
    encounter other cyclists there one day).

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com
    "OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Intersection below (cnr of Keong & Albany Ck Rds if anyone knows the area)
    > has traffic lights at the stop line, but the stop line itself
    > conspicuously does not extend across the bike lane making it seem like
    > bikes do not need to stop at a red light here. Could this be the case?
    > www.ozcableguy.com
    > www.oztechnologies.com

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Intersection below (cnr of Keong & Albany Ck Rds if anyone knows the area)
    > has traffic lights at the stop line, but the stop line itself
    > conspicuously does not extend across the bike lane making it seem like
    > bikes do not need to stop at a red light here. Could this be the case?

    I'm fairly sure that signs and signals are what you have to pay attention
    to. Lines are advisory only.

  5. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm fairly sure that signs and signals are what you have to pay attention
    > to. Lines are advisory only.

    Agreed. And, although with this type of intersection it'd be fairly safe to
    ride through, I reckon it'd still seriously spook the cars turning right and
    cause confusion. I shall continue to stop.

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-27, OzCableguy (aka Bruce)

    > "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I'm fairly sure that signs and signals are what you have to pay attention
    >> to. Lines are advisory only.

    > Agreed. And, although with this type of intersection it'd be fairly safe to
    > ride through, I reckon it'd still seriously spook the cars turning right and
    > cause confusion. I shall continue to stop.

    There was brief discussion at BBUG one night about asking council to
    allow cyclists a green signal at all times at such a T intersection.
    One point I didn't think of at the time, is cyclists coming in from
    the stem of the T: where would they go? Straight into the cyclist
    coming through their private green light?

    --
    TimC
    You must realize that the computer has it in for you. The irrefutable

  7. On 2006-04-27, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
    > There was brief discussion at BBUG one night about asking council to
    > allow cyclists a green signal at all times at such a T intersection.
    > One point I didn't think of at the time, is cyclists coming in from
    > the stem of the T: where would they go? Straight into the cyclist
    > coming through their private green light?

    Well, one would *hope* that a cyclist would have the sense and the
    knowledge to look out for other cyclists, and to merge safely with any
    cycling traffic that might be on the main street.

  8. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I haven't looked it up but the general rule is that if there isn't a line on the road, on a red light or stop sign, vehicle (incl bike) has to stop before entering the intersection which is generally interpreted as meaning stop at the property line.

    SteveA

  9. Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OzCableguy wrote:
    > >
    > > Intersection below (cnr of Keong & Albany Ck Rds if anyone knows the area)
    > > has traffic lights at the stop line, but the stop line itself conspicuously
    > > does not extend across the bike lane making it seem like bikes do not need
    > > to stop at a red light here. Could this be the case?

    > <snip diagram>
    >
    > I know that intersection, and there's also a similar situation at one
    > spot along Samford Rd, as you head in towards the city, just past the
    > rail crossing - although I'm not sure if it's a marked bike lane there.
    >
    > I was taught the following: Regardless of whether there's a stop line,
    > you have to stop. The stop line present at red lights and stop signs is
    > a redundancy.
    >
    > I haven't looked it up to check.
    >
    > Tam

    I always thought that it was the other way around. You have to stop at a
    solid white stop bar regardless of whether there is a stop sign or not.
    The sign can easily be damaged or destroyed but the paint on the road
    will withstand much more treatment. So it is the main indicator of what
    to do.

    Exactly the same thing exists in Mackay on the corner of Rockleigh and
    Nebo Rds. I asked about it at the council traffic committee and the
    local constable said that he never stopped for the lights there when
    cycling.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  10. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    Stuart Lamble wrote:
    > On 2006-04-27, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > There was brief discussion at BBUG one night about asking council to
    > > allow cyclists a green signal at all times at such a T intersection.
    > > One point I didn't think of at the time, is cyclists coming in from
    > > the stem of the T: where would they go? Straight into the cyclist
    > > coming through their private green light?

    > Well, one would *hope* that a cyclist would have the sense and the
    > knowledge to look out for other cyclists, and to merge safely with any
    > cycling traffic that might be on the main street.

    I think this is exactly why one must stop at the red light. You can't
    forget that cyclists coming through the green light correctly expect to
    have right of way. Why should they be looking out for people running
    the red (other than for the self-preservation aspect)?

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    If i saw 3 cars THOSE colours i wouldnt give way! I'd be too busy RAFLMAO!!! :D:D:D