To grease or not to grease?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease them?

    Tags:

  2. Simonb wrote:
    > Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease them?

    IIRC one should grease the bolts, but not the cranks themselves (assuming
    they're square taper jobs).

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    >> Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease
    >> them?

    > IIRC one should grease the bolts, but not the cranks themselves
    > (assuming they're square taper jobs).

    They're not square, they're splined. So I should grease them.

  4. Tim Izod

    Tim Izod Guest

    Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    > > Crank bolts. Did I read somewhere that it's best /not/ to grease them?

    > IIRC one should grease the bolts, but not the cranks themselves (assuming
    > they're square taper jobs).

    > --

    Having had the pain of dealing with seized cranks and bolts I
    took to adding a spot of grease to both before applying the torque
    wrench. Pretty much all of the grease on the taper seems to be
    squelched out by the time the torque wrench tells me I've put enough
    tightening effort in and possibly the same happens with the bolts.

    A groups.google.com search of rec.bicycles.tech will find as
    many opinions as you could wish for both for and against grease.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html may be of interest
    & Sheldon Brown proably has advice on the issue on his site.

    --
    Tim.

  5. Simonb wrote:

    > They're not square, they're splined. So I should grease them.

    The last set of splined cranks I had actually in a box, as opposed to fitted
    to a bike when I bought it, had some green greasy gloop on the splines, so
    if it's good enough for Shimano...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. wheelsgoround

    wheelsgoround New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2003

    Crank bolts: grease
    Square tapers: clean both surfaces with solvent; DO NOT GREASE
    Splines: grease

    Ian

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  8. wheelsgoround

    wheelsgoround New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2003
    Fair enough. Jobst has his views on this matter. John Barnett says don't grease the spindle flats and I'll carry on working to the Barnett method (unless I see first hand evidence that it is wrong) :)

    Anyway, SimonB has his answer.

    Ian

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    wheelsgoround wrote:

    >> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

    > Fair enough. Jobst has his views on this matter. John Barnett says
    > don't grease the spindle flats and I'll carry on working to the
    > Barnett method (unless I see first hand evidence that it is wrong)
    > :)

    That's also fair enough and is what Shimano and Campagnolo advise!
    However, I'll carry on greasing as that method has worked best and
    perfectly for me so far.

    ~PB

  10. burt

    burt Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wheelsgoround wrote:
    >
    > >> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

    > > Fair enough. Jobst has his views on this matter. John Barnett says
    > > don't grease the spindle flats and I'll carry on working to the
    > > Barnett method (unless I see first hand evidence that it is wrong)
    > > :)

    > That's also fair enough and is what Shimano and Campagnolo advise!
    > However, I'll carry on greasing as that method has worked best and
    > perfectly for me so far.

    Likewise, I always grease. Having seen cranks "welded" onto spindles, and
    never having had a problem with greasing them, I'm carrying on doing so. At
    least I know I'll be able to get them off again.