To many steels

shokhead1

Mar 16, 2003
Looking to get a steel road bike.Whats the best or the differences between them all,853,cloumbus foco,slx,on and on.Looked at the fuji roubaix pro,marin verona,LeMond buenoe aires,specialized co mo comp,cervelo super prodigy,masi speciale premio and at supergo,a scattante with reynolds 853,all ultegra inc the cassette and crankset where they go cheap sometimes,for $1099.

from personal experience, I'd say that the 2003 version of Dedacciai EOM 16.5KET is the best steel tubing available. It gives a wonderfully smooth ride, yet is stiff when needed. It builds into a 1450 gram frame which can be lowered in weight by adding carbon stays to around 1300 grams, less than a lot of alu, Ti and carbon frames. All the tubes are oversize but the walls are very thin. Another good steel set up I've used is Columbus UltraFoco. It is a bit heavier than EOM, but the cost is less. Until the new EOM came along, UltraFoco was the best around.

Neil, London, UK.
www.billato.com

you must think that no matter the tube( reynolds or columbus are very good) but the quality of the frame.tig welded or lugs,paint.quality etc.geometry(classic mostly or sloping,short chain-stays)),right size according to your body take also the opinion of someone expert.
Concider that the steel frames are the better choice you have to do!!!!
Bravo smart boy!!!

Nearly impossible to answer your question online. There is so much to say.

Basicly all those tubesets are different. Different gauges and mixes.

Not to mention different brands and different builders.

It all depends on what you are using it for.

You have the classic tubesets like SLX, new age like EOM and lightweight tubesets like Foco.

Best to call knowledgeable shops to ask for more in depth
description or builders.

P.S. Feel free to call me so I can explain.

Was fishing around and found this thread from last year.
I'm interested in finding out more about the tubing on a steel frame I've recently bought. I've searched all over the web and found nothing. It's an Olmo frame with Columbus tubing, but neither Olmo nor Columbus's websites have much info. There is plenty of interesting stuff out there on frames in general, but I'm looking for specifcs on Columbus Aelle tubing....any ideas?
By the way, the bike shop where I got it didn't know much either. It was gathering dust in a corner, marked down from €350 to €99! I thought it'd be rude not to ;)

Tonto said:
I'm interested in finding out more about the tubing on a steel frame I've recently bought. I've searched all over the web and found nothing. It's an Olmo frame with Columbus tubing, but neither Olmo nor Columbus's websites have much info. There is plenty of interesting stuff out there on frames in general, but I'm looking for specifcs on Columbus Aelle tubing....any ideas?
By the way, the bike shop where I got it didn't know much either. It was gathering dust in a corner, marked down from €350 to €99! I thought it'd be rude not to ;)
It's older stuff,possibly now out of print.Possibly bottom of the barrel in the columbus lineup. Plain chrome manganese.Straight gage,acording to a blurb I have and possibly seamed.I had a Lugged and brazed Pinarello built with it. Decent enough,but low end, and heavy.

Aelle is the lowest stuff sold. Basicly many frames used 3 tubes Aelle and the rear triangle just CroMo.

Tubeset is not nearly as nice as say Thron. Companies will not have now as Aelle is really not used anymore.

Tonto said:

If you take EVERYTHING off the frame, then weigh, it will provide more clues.

I assume it doesn't have a Columbus sticker on the steat tube?

Thanks very much for the responses.

Boudreaux, that sounds fair enough, 'decent' is good for me :eek:
It's for recreational stuff and I'm putting a Mirage groupset on it, which I reckon is in keeping with the quality of the frame.

Nutbag, it does have a Columbus sticker on the downtube which says:
Columbus...Tubi Trifilati Speciali...Aelle...Acciaio CrMN...Tre Tubi

I've already added the headset and bottom bracket and I amn't taking them out just to weigh it....but I can tell you that with the forks, headset and bottom bracket (standard Campag Mirage) it weighs 2.9kg's.

shokhead1 said:
Looking to get a steel road bike.Whats the best or the differences between them all,853,cloumbus foco,slx,on and on.Looked at the fuji roubaix pro,marin verona,LeMond buenoe aires,specialized co mo comp,cervelo super prodigy,masi speciale premio and at supergo,a scattante with reynolds 853,all ultegra inc the cassette and crankset where they go cheap sometimes,for $1099.

I would say that the nicest steel frames that I have seen are Scapin. Don't know where you are from and if you can find 'em. Check them out at www.scapin.com . I would kill family members to get my hands on an S8. :eek:

For the time being, I can only dream...

Powerful Pete said:
I would say that the nicest steel frames that I have seen are Scapin. Don't know where you are from and if you can find 'em. Check them out at www.scapin.com . I would kill family members to get my hands on an S8. :eek:

For the time being, I can only dream...

This thread was started quite a while ago, and I'm pretty sure Shokhead bought an 853 Fuji, and likes it. :)

shokhead1 said:

Not sure what your budget is but have you considered custom lugged steel frames; i.e. http://www.vanillabicycles.com or http://www.rivbike.com ?

Tonto said:
Thanks very much for the responses.
Nutbag, it does have a Columbus sticker on the downtube which says:
Columbus...Tubi Trifilati Speciali...Aelle...Acciaio CrMN...Tre Tubi

I've already added the headset and bottom bracket and I amn't taking them out just to weigh it....but I can tell you that with the forks, headset and bottom bracket (standard Campag Mirage) it weighs 2.9kg's.

Sorry, I should've noticed you wrote "Aelle" on your original post.

I've seen a couple of old Aelle frames at my 2nd hand shop, and I thought they were kind of heavy, but if you subtract about 250g for the BB, 110g for the head-set, and 700 or 800g for the forks (steel, I assume), it sounds reasonably light for an old Columbus frame. :)

nutbag said:
Sorry, I should've noticed you wrote "Aelle" on your original post.

I've seen a couple of old Aelle frames at my 2nd hand shop, and I thought they were kind of heavy, but if you subtract about 250g for the BB, 110g for the head-set, and 700 or 800g for the forks (steel, I assume), it sounds reasonably light for an old Columbus frame. :)

Actually, now that I think more about it, that 2.9kg was with the forks (steel) and HS only...still not too bad I guess. But thanks for the background info.