To oil or not to oil?

Db

Guest
Hi

In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and seriously considering running
with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant. Figure it may cut down on the amount of **** that
collects even with frequent cleaning. Anyone done this? Any thoughts? Thanks

Dennis

db wrote:

> In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and seriously considering running
> with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant.

The sequaking will drive you, and those around you, crazy.

Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>> In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and seriously considering running
>> with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant.
>
> The sequaking will drive you, and those around you, crazy.

You'll also wear out your chain and freewheel very quickly, assuming it doesn't seize and
self-destruct on its own.

A shy Briton wrote:

> In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and seriously considering running
> with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant. Figure it may cut down on the amount of **** that
> collects even with frequent cleaning. Anyone done this? Any thoughts?

I think you're on to something here! My car has been burning a lot of oil lately, making lots of
blue smoke. The mechanic says I need an expensive ring job, but I think he's just greedy.

Maybe I'll try your approach, just remove the sump plug and drain all of the oil out. That should
stop the smoking...

Carapace Completed Umber Riadh, Saudi Arabia
| "Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, | it might be, and if it were so, it would
| be; | but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" | --Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass" |

I've been trying some new stuff over the past few years. Boeshield T-9 works pretty well in this
regard. Been running it on my rain bike (it rains a lot here in Seattle) for two years now,
forsaking my old standby of White Lightening that did squeak after 1-2 rain rides. No measurable
chain-stretch in that period, and I typically put 5-6k miles on this bike every year. Chain stays
really clean for a good long period (much cleaner than WL), with no re-application. Bummer is, that
once it does get dirty (about 3-4 months), you must clean drive-train completely and re-apply. I
tried wiping chain down and re-applying, what a mess!

-pete

"db" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and
seriously
> considering running with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant.
Figure
> it may cut down on the amount of **** that collects even with frequent cleaning. Anyone done this?
> Any thoughts? Thanks
>
> Dennis

RE/
> a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant. Figure it may cut down on the amount of **** that
> collects even with frequent cleaning. Anyone done this? Any thoughts?

A wax-based lube like White Lightening will accomplish the essentially that and lubricate it pretty
well. Needed a refresh after riding in the rain, but generally I liked it.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I think you're on to something here! My car has been burning a lot of oil lately, making lots of
> blue smoke. The mechanic says I need an expensive ring job, but I think he's just greedy.
>
> Maybe I'll try your approach, just remove the sump plug and drain all of the oil out. That should
> stop the smoking...

Is it a slant-six? If so go ahead, it'll be fine.

dl

: A shy Briton wrote:
:
:> In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and seriously considering running
:> with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant. Figure it may cut down on the amount of ****
:> that collects even with frequent cleaning. Anyone done this? Any thoughts?

: I think you're on to something here! My car has been burning a lot of oil lately, making lots of
: blue smoke. The mechanic says I need an expensive ring job, but I think he's just greedy.

: Maybe I'll try your approach, just remove the sump plug and drain all of the oil out. That should
: stop the smoking...

Reminds me of the time - in another life - when a fellow bike mechanic thought that it would be a
good idea to assemble a Honda 450 engine without oiling components as he proceeded. He didn't like
all that smoke when they first started up. Me either.

But the smoke is necessary, because the electric starter couldn't turn the engine over, nor could
the kick starter get the damn thing to rotate even the slightest millimetre. The whole show was
locked solid, and that was just from friction (????). This was a not a rebore, where extra drag is
usually anticipated, just a reassembly.

The only solution was to remove the spark plugs and squirt some engine oil in the bores - hey,
that must be why it's called engine oil! We waited ten minutes or so for the oil to work its
magic, replaced the plugs and voila!, when the smoke cleared the engine ran like a sewing
machine on steroids. I can't imagine the rapid wear that took place on the cams while the oil
pressure built up.

The owner of the bike shop wasn't too happy and called the mechanic an idiot. He left a few weeks
later because I don't think he was really cut out for that sort of work.

Which brings me to the chain. It isn't a major life diverting activity to wipe a chain once a week
or so - takes less than 5 minutes. Oil is good and necessary for metal to metal contact.

Cheerz, Lynzz

Capt Bike-<< I think you're on to something here! My car has been burning a lot of oil lately,
making lots of blue smoke. The mechanic says I need an expensive ring job, but I think he's just
greedy. >><BR><BR>

If my '73 VeeDub stops leaking oil, it means there isn't any left in there!!!

OK

My theory goes that you are running a hard metal (steel chain) against a soft alloy with a lubricant
that with enough viscosity to prevent 'flying off' will also hold particles of road grit. Even with
regular cleaning, the grit will collect again within a few days of riding and it acts as a very
effective abrasive, hence my thoughts on running the chain dry. I have recently tried the wax
ceramic type lubricants used on motorcycle chains and they appear to offer reasonable lubrication
without holding onto as much road grit but, being intended for the sealed o-ring type motorcycle
chain (and expensive) I wasn't too sure if I was just throwing good money away.

Regards

Dennis "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Capt Bike-<< I think you're on to something here! My car has been burning
> lot of oil lately, making lots of blue smoke. The mechanic says I need an expensive ring job, but
> I think he's just greedy. >><BR><BR>
>
> If my '73 VeeDub stops leaking oil, it means there isn't any left in
there!!!

"db" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> In the process of re-building my road bike after a re-painting and
seriously
> considering running with a dry chain instead of the usual lubricant.
Figure
> it may cut down on the amount of **** that collects even with frequent cleaning. Anyone done this?
> Any thoughts?

Go with White Lightning. Wipe-down and reapply after rain rides (takes 2 minutes). It's not cheap;
but it works very well and is quite convenient.

I've heard that chainsaw bar oil mixed with a fast-drying solvent is the best bike chainlube; but
you'll have to clean it often to keep the grit out.

Chains are cheap. Buy several, and swap 'em when they start to stretch. Problem solved.

Barry

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:27:17 +0100, "db" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My theory goes that you are running a hard metal (steel chain) against a soft alloy

That would be hard metal against hard metal, namely steel chain parts against steel chain parts.
Chain lubing isn't about the cog/chain interface.

Jasper