To Rebuild a PT SL wheel or Not? Is it causing the wobble?

allenpg

Jul 6, 2004
I have a PT SL Open Pro wheel straight from Saris, which I'm sure was machine made. It has about 2200 miles on it. Back in August, I had a spoke pop loose and also noticed the nuts on one side of the hub had come loose (non-drive). I replaced the spoke and tightened the nuts to Saris specs with my torque wrench. In truing and dishing the wheel, I noticed the spoke tension to be pretty high on the driveside (about 140 kgf). The Park Tool spoke tension spreadsheet is attached.

As I've ridden the bike since, I've noticed a slight wobble in the rear that doesn't feel entirely stable (especially when turning at higher speeds). The wheel is dished and trued, but was wondering if the spoke tension might have something to do with it. I've experience the wobble on 2 different bikes with the wheel and don't notice it with a different rear wheel.

The Powertap appears to be providing accurate readings when comparing similar rides before and after the spoke/axle issue.

Should I be looking for anything else with the PT wheel? I'm about 155 lbs and a Cat 4 racer.

I'm tempted to rebuild this wheel as I've built 3 wheels this year (including a couple of Zipps) that have turned out great.

Any advice out there on what to do? Thanks!

-Pete

P.S. I've cross posting this on roadbikereview.com in the Wheels/Tires forum.

allenpg said:
As I've ridden the bike since, I've noticed a slight wobble in the rear that doesn't feel entirely stable (especially when turning at higher speeds). The wheel is dished and trued, but was wondering if the spoke tension might have something to do with it. I've experience the wobble on 2 different bikes with the wheel and don't notice it with a different rear wheel.
Wether the wheel is dished and trued, laterally and vertically, and the spokes are tensioned to ~140 / 80 kg, the wheel should not have any wobble. Instead, I'd check that the tyre is properly mounted and doesn't have any bumps.

sidewind said:
Wether the wheel is dished and trued, laterally and vertically, and the spokes are tensioned to ~140 / 80 kg, the wheel should not have any wobble. Instead, I'd check that the tyre is properly mounted and doesn't have any bumps.

Have you ruled out loose hub bearing cones?

tigermilk said:
Or worn cones, but that wouldn't be so much of a wobble as freeplay.

Actually, the hub uses cartridge bearings. Based on the results so far, I might just send it back to Saris once the snow settles in.

Thanks!