To ride or not to ride, that is the question

tech.racer

Dec 21, 2003
I've just been comparing the health problems i've had to that of my family who do not much in the way of anything resembling physical activity and I'm beginning to wonder if it would be better to not train at all. The amount of ****ling problems i have/had. Unfortunately i enjoy fitness and giving it up is not an option but it does make me wonder about all the hype regarding fitness. All in moderation i suppose.

Originally posted by tech.racer
I've just been comparing the health problems i've had to that of my family who do not much in the way of anything resembling physical activity and I'm beginning to wonder if it would be better to not train at all. The amount of ****ling problems i have/had. Unfortunately i enjoy fitness and giving it up is not an option but it does make me wonder about all the hype regarding fitness. All in moderation i suppose.

It might help if we knew what kind of health problems you're talking about.

Originally posted by tech.racer

Sounds like you've just started an exercise program and are trying to overdo it, expecting some quick results. Aches and pains shouldn't be necessary if you're training smart and stretching enough. You need rest and recovery days to go with the training....that's when you get stronger. Just make fitness a part of your life from now on, so there's no need to rush.

Besides, a few minor aches and pains from exercise are nothing compared to the major health risks that sedentary people face.

Certainly sympathise - spent last part of last season getting sick avery 4 weeks after racing hard. A good 3 week period of rest (no riding at all) and good eating has cleared it up and have been trouble free to date since new year.

Originally posted by peterwright
Certainly sympathise - spent last part of last season getting sick avery 4 weeks after racing hard. A good 3 week period of rest (no riding at all) and good eating has cleared it up and have been trouble free to date since new year.

I had the same problem for years with cronic sinus and a low-grade infection that would keep popping up every 3-4 weeks. I don't race, but mine also seemed clearly related to the weekly training diary. Dr labeled it "allegic sinusitus", but nothing he prescribed worked except decongestants. I think overtraining (riding too hard, too often) must weaken the immune system.

Recently read the Lance Armstrong Performance Plan book. It states he does an "easy week" of recovery rides (2-3 hours at below 60% HR) after each 3 weeks of hard training, in order to recover fully and prepare for the next round of hard going.