To ride or not to ride....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ACP, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. ACP

    ACP New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2003
    Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...

    How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning into the breeze!!)

    I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the rain.. :confused:

    Tags:

  2. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows the difference!!) I also blame Carl the Coach - if I can swap a session with another during that week, and avoid the weather SWEET! but if not, I grit my teeth, girt my loins and just get on with it, with the mantra "What doesnt kill me..."

    O.. I also have a trainer........... ;)

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "ACP" <[email protected]
    > Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
    > window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
    >
    > How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of
    > the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to
    > return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning
    > into the breeze!!)
    >
    > I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
    > rain.. :confused:

    I used to watch the forecasts and if I heard rain or looked out
    the window and it was looking grey I'd sleep in. I've since learned
    that weather forecasts are total crap and that even if it is looking
    grey or even raining when I leave, it's not often that you get soaked.
    If it's a 4hr+ ride on a weekend I might delay my departure if it's
    heavy rain, but commutes these days I wake, change and leave.
    If you look out the window before changing.. all hope is lost.
    Just ride!

    hippy

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "warrwych" <[email protected]
    > ACP Wrote:
    > > I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
    > > rain.. :confused:

    > I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am
    > up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows
    > the difference!!) I also blame Carl the Coach - if I can swap a session
    > with another during that week, and avoid the weather SWEET! but if not,
    > I grit my teeth, girt my loins and just get on with it, with the mantra
    > "What doesnt kill me..."

    What exactly is involved in 'girting one's loins'??

    hippy :)

  5. Dej

    Dej Guest

    "ACP" <[email protected]om> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
    > window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
    >
    > How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of
    > the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to
    > return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning
    > into the breeze!!)
    >
    > I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
    > rain.. :confused:
    >

    > --
    > ACP

    ahh ive just been riding regardless of rain etc.
    i rode in the ATB 2003 where i got soaked and frozen for hours so riding
    12kms to work in the rain aint so bad:)

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 at 22:35 GMT, warrwych (aka Bruce)

    > ACP Wrote:
    >> I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
    >> rain.. :confused:

    > I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am
    > up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows

    You're lucky. My ones just sit on my stomach, neck, or legs, or under
    my arms. And when I stir, they move to under my arms. There is no way
    I can get up then. Stupid cats and their mind control rays.

    Conclusion to my thesis -- "It is trivial to show that it is
    clearly obvious that this is not woofly."

  7. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 at 22:35 GMT, warrwych (aka Bruce)

    > ACP Wrote:
    >> I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
    >> rain.. :confused:

    > I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am
    > up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows

    You're lucky. My ones just sit on my stomach, neck, or legs, or under
    my arms. And when I stir, they move to under my arms. There is no way
    I can get up then. Stupid cats and their mind control rays.

    Conclusion to my thesis -- "It is trivial to show that it is
    clearly obvious that this is not woofly."

  8. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    I'll demonstrate next sat am training session :p

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    ACP wrote:

    > Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
    > window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
    >
    > How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of
    > the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to
    > return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning
    > into the breeze!!)
    >
    > I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
    > rain.. :confused:
    >
    > --
    > ACP

    My coach told me that riding in the rain would make me tough for
    ironman. I've ridden 4-6 hours in driving rain and wind where I couldn't
    get the speed up at all. Did it make me tough? Ummm, it made me prefer
    running...

    I don't mind riding in the rain but I accept that I'm not going to go so
    fast, because of all the hazards - drivers who seem even more stupid
    than normal, braking distances, wet white lines on the road, corners...

    I used to do all my wet weather training at the local army barracks,
    because the speed limit is lower and people tend to drive more carefully
    and be on the lookout for sportsfans out in the wet.

  10. >>>>> "ACP" == ACP <[email protected]> writes:

    ACP> Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look
    ACP> out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the
    ACP> doona and sleep...

    It's a no brainer for me, it takes about the same time for me to cycle
    in as it does to catch the train; less time when you factor in the
    stuffing around getting showered etc which always takes about 3 times
    the time it takes me at work.

    What I suffer from is when the day gets past ten hours. I get a real
    case of can't be arsedness and convince myself that I'm too tired and
    catch the train. Guaranteed lethargy that evening and a horrible train
    ride in the next morning so why do I do it?

    I came *this close* to falling in to the same trap last night, we're
    talking just about walked out the door. Fortunately I had a rare case
    of will power and as a result had a pretty awesome ride home; swapping
    tows with this guy I hooked up with on St Kilda Road who was way fitter
    than me. One of the Bayside Bandidos apparently :)

    And as a result had a hard yakka ride in this morning :)
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  11. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    If I get up with the intention of riding to work, I don't have a choice. Riding is my fastest commute option so I don't have time for anything else. Bastard ride this afternoon from Kew to Footscray. Who ordered that bloody westerly?

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]
    > If I get up with the intention of riding to work, I don't have a
    > choice. Riding is my fastest commute option so I don't have time for
    > anything else. Bastard ride this afternoon from Kew to Footscray. Who
    > ordered that bloody westerly?

    hehe.. me.. it helps with passing cars whilst
    riding down into Ringwood.
    No rain no complain!

    hippy ;-)

  13. >>>>> "thegroup" == thegroup <""evan\"@(thegroup)"> writes:

    thegroup> I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic
    thegroup> infringement in 25 years of road use. Sitting at a red
    thegroup> light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't being picked up by the
    thegroup> sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where did
    thegroup> those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit
    thegroup> points!!!

    I don't know if it's urban legend but I've heard that if the sensor
    doesn't pick up the bike then the lights are considered faulty, meaning
    that provided due care and attention is exercised it's OK to cycle
    through a red. Might be worth checking out.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  14. thegroup

    thegroup Guest

    ACP wrote:
    > Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
    > window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
    >
    > How does everybody make the decision?

    I actually love riding in the rain. Maybe because we get so little in
    Perth :)

    I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic infringement in
    25 years of road use. Sitting at a red light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't
    being picked up by the sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where
    did those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit points!!!

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 at 11:35 GMT, Resound (aka Bruce)
    > anything else. Bastard ride this afternoon from Kew to Footscray. Who
    > ordered that bloody westerly?

    It's been a bastard for the last few days.

    I am not a number. I'm a Free NaN. -- Chris Reuter @ ARK

  16. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    better to ride & know for certain than to pass it up & be left wondering.

    weather changes, but you'll never get that time back when you baulked the ride.

  17. Johnny O-R

    Johnny O-R New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2004
    I'm too addicted to my endorphins not to.
    Come to think of it I've never ridden anywhere without a headwind...

    There are less socially acceptable forms of masochism!

  18. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > thegroup> I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic
    > thegroup> infringement in 25 years of road use. Sitting at a red
    > thegroup> light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't being picked up by the
    > thegroup> sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where did
    > thegroup> those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit
    > thegroup> points!!!
    >
    > I don't know if it's urban legend but I've heard that if the sensor
    > doesn't pick up the bike then the lights are considered faulty, meaning
    > that provided due care and attention is exercised it's OK to cycle
    > through a red. Might be worth checking out.

    i was talking to some cyclists about that on the way in earlier this
    week, they said that theres a number of intersections that do not pickup
    bikes at all. so you have to get off and hit the pedestrian crossing
    button...

    there are a growing number of cyclist buttons on intersection around
    adeliade now. they are slowly getting the message =)

    cheers,

    Kim

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 18:34 GMT, Evan (aka Bruce)
    > It would cost more to contest it in court, so I've just paid the fine.
    > Call it karma for all those silly things I did on the road 20 years ago
    > and never got picked up on. The cop said i'd either have to wait until
    > another vehicle came along or get off and walk across. I should've asked

    Thereby jaywalking, right?

    Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning. --unk

  20. thegroup wrote:

    > I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic infringement in
    > 25 years of road use. Sitting at a red light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't
    > being picked up by the sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where
    > did those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit points!!!

    Please explain why you get demerit points on your motor vehicle licence?