To ride or not to ride....

ACP

New Member
Oct 20, 2003
Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...

How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning into the breeze!!)

I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the rain.. :confused:

ACP said:
Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...

How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning into the breeze!!)

I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the rain.. :confused:

I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows the difference!!) I also blame Carl the Coach - if I can swap a session with another during that week, and avoid the weather SWEET! but if not, I grit my teeth, girt my loins and just get on with it, with the mantra "What doesnt kill me..."

O.. I also have a trainer........... ;)

"ACP" <[email protected]
> Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
> window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
>
> How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of
> the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to
> return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning
> into the breeze!!)
>
> I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
> rain.. :confused:

I used to watch the forecasts and if I heard rain or looked out
the window and it was looking grey I'd sleep in. I've since learned
that weather forecasts are total **** and that even if it is looking
grey or even raining when I leave, it's not often that you get soaked.
If it's a 4hr+ ride on a weekend I might delay my departure if it's
heavy rain, but commutes these days I wake, change and leave.
If you look out the window before changing.. all hope is lost.
Just ride!

hippy

"warrwych" <[email protected]
> ACP Wrote:
> > I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
> > rain.. :confused:

> I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am
> up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows
> the difference!!) I also blame Carl the Coach - if I can swap a session
> with another during that week, and avoid the weather SWEET! but if not,
> I grit my teeth, girt my loins and just get on with it, with the mantra
> "What doesnt kill me..."

What exactly is involved in 'girting one's loins'??

hippy :)

"ACP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
> window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
>
> How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of
> the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to
> return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning
> into the breeze!!)
>
> I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
> rain.. :confused:
>

> --
> ACP

ahh ive just been riding regardless of rain etc.
i rode in the ATB 2003 where i got soaked and frozen for hours so riding
12kms to work in the rain aint so bad:)

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 at 22:35 GMT, warrwych (aka Bruce)

> ACP Wrote:
>> I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
>> rain.. :confused:

> I blame my cat - once she sees I have stirred I get pestered until I am
> up and have fed her (unless its the weekend. Dont ask me how she knows

You're lucky. My ones just sit on my stomach, neck, or legs, or under
my arms. And when I stir, they move to under my arms. There is no way
I can get up then. Stupid cats and their mind control rays.

Conclusion to my thesis -- "It is trivial to show that it is
clearly obvious that this is not woofly."

ACP wrote:

> Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
> window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
>
> How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of
> the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to
> return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning
> into the breeze!!)
>
> I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the
> rain.. :confused:
>
> --
> ACP

My coach told me that riding in the rain would make me tough for
ironman. I've ridden 4-6 hours in driving rain and wind where I couldn't
get the speed up at all. Did it make me tough? Ummm, it made me prefer
running...

I don't mind riding in the rain but I accept that I'm not going to go so
fast, because of all the hazards - drivers who seem even more stupid
than normal, braking distances, wet white lines on the road, corners...

I used to do all my wet weather training at the local army barracks,
because the speed limit is lower and people tend to drive more carefully
and be on the lookout for sportsfans out in the wet.

ACP> Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look
ACP> out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the
ACP> doona and sleep...

It's a no brainer for me, it takes about the same time for me to cycle
in as it does to catch the train; less time when you factor in the
stuffing around getting showered etc which always takes about 3 times
the time it takes me at work.

What I suffer from is when the day gets past ten hours. I get a real
case of can't be arsedness and convince myself that I'm too tired and
catch the train. Guaranteed lethargy that evening and a horrible train
ride in the next morning so why do I do it?

I came *this close* to falling in to the same trap last night, we're
talking just about walked out the door. Fortunately I had a rare case
of will power and as a result had a pretty awesome ride home; swapping
tows with this guy I hooked up with on St Kilda Road who was way fitter
than me. One of the Bayside Bandidos apparently :)

And as a result had a hard yakka ride in this morning :)
--
Cheers
Euan

ACP said:
Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...

How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning into the breeze!!)

I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the rain.. :confused:

If I get up with the intention of riding to work, I don't have a choice. Riding is my fastest commute option so I don't have time for anything else. ******* ride this afternoon from Kew to Footscray. Who ordered that bloody westerly?

"Resound" <[email protected]
> If I get up with the intention of riding to work, I don't have a
> choice. Riding is my fastest commute option so I don't have time for
> anything else. ******* ride this afternoon from Kew to Footscray. Who
> ordered that bloody westerly?

hehe.. me.. it helps with passing cars whilst
riding down into Ringwood.
No rain no complain!

hippy ;-)

thegroup> I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic
thegroup> infringement in 25 years of road use. Sitting at a red
thegroup> light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't being picked up by the
thegroup> sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where did
thegroup> those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit
thegroup> points!!!

I don't know if it's urban legend but I've heard that if the sensor
doesn't pick up the bike then the lights are considered faulty, meaning
that provided due care and attention is exercised it's OK to cycle
through a red. Might be worth checking out.
--
Cheers
Euan

ACP wrote:
> Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your
> window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...
>
> How does everybody make the decision?

I actually love riding in the rain. Maybe because we get so little in
Perth :)

I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic infringement in
25 years of road use. Sitting at a red light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't
being picked up by the sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where
did those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit points!!!

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 at 11:35 GMT, Resound (aka Bruce)
> anything else. ******* ride this afternoon from Kew to Footscray. Who
> ordered that bloody westerly?

It's been a ******* for the last few days.

I am not a number. I'm a Free NaN. -- Chris Reuter @ ARK

better to ride & know for certain than to pass it up & be left wondering.

weather changes, but you'll never get that time back when you baulked the ride.

ACP said:
Just a question for those of you who rise in the morning, look out your window and think.. do I ride or do I return to the doona and sleep...

How does everybody make the decision? Do most people ride regardless of the weather? Or does the water on the back porch/road cause you to return to sleepyland? Is wind a factor? (It was hard yakka this morning into the breeze!!)

I guess I just want to know if I am bloody SOFT if I don't ride in the rain.. :confused:
I'm too addicted to my endorphins not to.
Come to think of it I've never ridden anywhere without a headwind...

There are less socially acceptable forms of masochism!

[email protected] wrote:

> thegroup> I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic
> thegroup> infringement in 25 years of road use. Sitting at a red
> thegroup> light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't being picked up by the
> thegroup> sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where did
> thegroup> those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit
> thegroup> points!!!
>
> I don't know if it's urban legend but I've heard that if the sensor
> doesn't pick up the bike then the lights are considered faulty, meaning
> that provided due care and attention is exercised it's OK to cycle
> through a red. Might be worth checking out.

i was talking to some cyclists about that on the way in earlier this
week, they said that theres a number of intersections that do not pickup
bikes at all. so you have to get off and hit the pedestrian crossing
button...

there are a growing number of cyclist buttons on intersection around
adeliade now. they are slowly getting the message =)

cheers,

Kim

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 18:34 GMT, Evan (aka Bruce)
> It would cost more to contest it in court, so I've just paid the fine.
> Call it karma for all those silly things I did on the road 20 years ago
> and never got picked up on. The cop said i'd either have to wait until
> another vehicle came along or get off and walk across. I should've asked

Thereby jaywalking, right?

Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning. --unk

thegroup wrote:

> I should have driven today though. My first ever traffic infringement in
> 25 years of road use. Sitting at a red light, 7 am, no traffic, wasn't
> being picked up by the sensors, i'll just pedal on across. Whoops, where
> did those two gentlemen come from. $150 and 6 demerit points!!!

Please explain why you get demerit points on your motor vehicle licence?