To rinse or not to rinse.

Nancyjaye

Guest
That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why?
If not, why?

NancyJaye

> "NancyJaye"
>
>That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
>not, why?

Depends which rice... fortified, par-boiled, the dreaded minute rice, and the various flavored rice
packets do not get rinsed, all others must be well washed, most especially wash extremely well those
from the orient.

NancyJaye wrote:

> That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
> not, why?

I rinse it. You never know what has been crawling around in it.

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
: not, why?
:
: NancyJaye
: ========

Nope, I don't. I usually buy long grain rice or wild rice in the clear packages and the rice appears
to be 'clean'. Therefore, I see no reason to wash it.

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

Been doin' it for years and NEVER do I rinse. I know I get all those germs etc but I just warm it
a bit in some oil, add 2 to 1 liquid, bring to a boil and cook on low for 20 minutes. It ain't
failed yet!

NancyJaye wrote:
> That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
> not, why?
>
> NancyJaye

The question of rinsing rice comes up because when rice was first enriched with vitamins, consumers
had to be taught not to rinse all the nutrients straight off. If you're dealing with brown rice or
any other rice that's not enriched, it makes sense to rinse off the dust. My rice always comes out a
little less gummy when I do. I don't rinse Uncle Ben's Converted rice. That always looks clean to me
when I pour it from the box. Those are the 2 rices I make-- brown (short and long grain) which I do
rinse and converted which I don't.

--Lia

PENMART01 wrote:
>>"NancyJaye"
>>
>>That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
>>not, why?
>

> Depends which rice... fortified, par-boiled, the dreaded minute rice, and the various flavored
> rice packets do not get rinsed, all others must be well washed, most especially wash extremely
> well those from the orient.

But why?

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:00:57 +0000, Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The question of rinsing rice comes up because when rice was first enriched with vitamins,
> consumers had to be taught not to rinse all the nutrients straight off. If you're dealing with
> brown rice or any other rice that's not enriched, it makes sense to rinse off the dust. My rice
> always comes out a little less gummy when I do.

I don't rinse my rice, but that's largely because I prefer a stickier rice. It's easier to pick up
with chopsticks when it's not sliding all over the place.

Who knows - maybe the stuff the creepy-crawlies leave on the rice are what make it taste good?

--
-Brian James Macke [email protected] "In order to get that which you wish for, you must first
get that which builds it." -- Unknown

To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away some of the starchy
stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.

NancyJaye

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040205214140.22792.00001490@mb-
m18.aol.com...
> >CoastWatcher adds a crooked letter:

> >> Depends which rice... fortified, par-boiled, the dreaded minute rice,
and
> >the
> >> various flavored rice packets do not get rinsed, all others must be
well
> >> washed, most especially wash extremely well those from the orient.
> >
> >But why?
>
> For precisely the same reason normal brained folks wash their ass. What a friggin' idiot.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
> ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away
some
> of the starchy stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.
>
> NancyJaye

If you're concerned about the starch, it helps to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the cooking water.
The vinegar helps to cut the starch. This also works for pasta.

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away
some
> of the starchy stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.
>
> NancyJaye

If you're concerned about the starch, it helps to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the cooking water.
The vinegar helps to cut the starch. This also works for pasta.

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away
some
> of the starchy stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.
>
> NancyJaye

If you're concerned about the starch, it helps to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the cooking water.
The vinegar helps to cut the starch. This also works for pasta.

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away
some
> of the starchy stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.
>
> NancyJaye

If you're concerned about the starch, it helps to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the cooking water.
The vinegar helps to cut the starch. This also works for pasta.

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away
some
> of the starchy stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.
>
> NancyJaye

If you're concerned about the starch, it helps to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the cooking water.
The vinegar helps to cut the starch. This also works for pasta.

"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To tell you the truth, I was asking about rinsing the rice to wash away
some
> of the starchy stuff...... Thanks for all of your responses.
>
> NancyJaye

If you're concerned about the starch, it helps to add a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the cooking

In rec.food.cooking, NancyJaye <[email protected]> wrote:
> That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
> not, why?

I rinse some types and not others, depending on origin and processing. Some are clean and mild -
they don't get rinsed. Some are filthy and taste foul unless rinsed.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

[email protected] wrote:
> In rec.food.cooking, NancyJaye <[email protected]> wrote:
> > That is today's question... Rice... do any of you rinse it before you cook it? If so, why? If
> > not, why?

> I rinse some types and not others, depending on origin and processing. Some are clean and mild -
> they don't get rinsed. Some are filthy and taste foul unless rinsed.

I don't rinse rice. I prefer it a little sticky, and Jasmine rice comes out just the way I like it
without rinsing, so no problem. I think if I had rice that tasted foul without rinsing I'd buy a
different brand, or type.

As for germs, etc. You are boiling the stuff for 20 or more minutes anyway. Nothing that's likely to
be in there is going to be cleaned away by rinsing that won't be killed by cooking. And if there are
visible bugs crawling around, it's time to throw it out and buy a new bag.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Ohh Cookie................that's a good one. I'm going to write that one down. You are one clever
dude. Or is that loser dude? Yeh, that's it.

m01.aol.com...