To shave or not to shave? Opinions???

solanabeachguy

Jul 11, 2003
So what is the story behind shaving?
I started riding not too long ago and I just want to hear some opinions.
I have heard lots of reasons why, but I want to hear from some real people and why they decided to shave or why they decided to not shave.

Let's ride!

I debated for a long time - none of the typical reasons seemed to hold water:

1) road rash is easier to keep clean - then why not shave your arms too, and if you're crashing so often it makes a difference then you need to find another sport.
2) aerodynamics - the effect is less than miniscule.
3) easier to massage the legs - maybe, but I doubt the vast majority of racers in the lower/middle categories are getting their legs rubbed.
4) women dig it - my wife is still trying to get used to it.

It all boils down to tradition and showing other cyclists that you're serious about the sport - if you shave your legs, you've probably also spent enough time in fast groups to develop good bike handling skills. To be quite honest, when I'm in a race or fast training ride and I find myself behind somebody with unshaved legs, I get a little nervous and try to get off their wheel.

when I'm in a race or fast training ride and I find myself behind somebody with unshaved legs, I get a little nervous and try to get off their wheel.

Sounds like a strategic advantage to me... Of course after a few of these rides the strategic advantage would dissappear.

I don't shave because it is a hassle and don't see the advantage and don't need to be labeled a Fabio. If someone thinks I'm a Fred for not shaving then they can. I'll be just fine knowing they don't want my draft so when there is the next breakaway at the front they may get left out.

Of course I guess a Fabio thinking they don't want to follow me may try to force me out by passing and such. Well that will just make me take revenge at the next opportunity.

At least I ride current components and gear. Perhaps at 30mph there isn't time for them to look at my legs... :)

so i take it that it would be my preferance on how high i would want to shave my legs.

Leg shaving is only a good idea if it will help prevent attacks from amourous dogs that mistake your legs for their mate :D

Please do not forget most ladies like it. If they do it for us, then why not return the favour. How would you like dating a women with hairy legs? Most feel the same toward us. Atleast the younger age group. Also just looks great...

Memph

Originally posted by GabrielS
More discussion on this please, I am interested. :D
:cool:

Well, I have just started getting my legs waxed in th last few months. Definitley beats shaving - and you actually get a leg massage at the same time. If you want to mix with the serious guy's then hairless is the only way to go...

If you're for real, then you clean up. That's it. I don't go to a black tie dinner in a tank top and flip flops. Serious riders keep'em smooth and chiseled. In my club you get hassled to no end if you don't shave. Before the latest club race the organising guys said that if the winner hadn't shaved his legs he would be disqualified. It's all said with a smile, but that's the real world for you. If you don't go with the flow you'll get teased by the other guys. It's up to you if you're fast enough to withstand the peer pressure.

First time I shaved it was a *****. Hint: use lots of aloe shaving cream or something similar. Don't overdo it. Just clean up half-ass first time, and go back later to improve. The itching comes from working your legs endlessly to make them completely shaven first time. If you;re going the wax way go to a pro. She'll save you lots of pain.

I agree with your comments above - plus if you have fair skin, and don't like getting sunburn, it is a hell of a lot easier to put sunscreen on you legs that have been shaved / waxed.

I'm a woman, and I find it weird enough that our society has determined that women should shave their legs to be socially acceptable ( I do shave my legs) - but if there is no improvement in your biking abilities, I find it really weird that a man would voluntarily shave their legs. And oh, by the way, I don't know many women who find it a turn on.

Well your point is hard to argue...although I defininatley prefer girls with smooth legs, cyclist or not....

Not sure if u cycle or not, but if u r not into cycling it is hard to really understand the culture. Like most sports, it is the things that people outside the "club" don't understand that make them unique. Cycling has many interesting "idios" that most people just don't see (or understand) Just watch a couple of hours of the Tour de France and u will see what I mean.

By the way, my wife actually prefers my legs shaved....

:cool: I have this 2002 Tour de France calander. I love how the Men look with their sleek, muscled, hairless, tanned legs and arms from riding allllll summer long!!! Its a hott calander, I will keep it for awhile. :p LINDS. RIDE ON!

I don't want to sound immature but, when I first went to this thread I thought it meant shaving other parts of the body, ahem, but seriously what is the deal with shaving? Do tiny hairs on your legs seriously affect how you ride?