To shave or not to shave? Opinions???

Originally posted by spaulding
Those who have responded to this one are more likely to be among the few who have actually given the practice of shaving some thought beyond the road rash excuse. Bottom line: It's just a look - a men do it as some bizarre signal that they belong to the circle of "serious" riders. There IS a medically sound reason for it, and it's NOT about hair getting ground into your road rash, but it does have to do with falling. Quiz: Do any of you know what it is? Even if you do, it's all but irrelevant anyway, since few people fall regularly enough for it to be worth it - so it still boils down to "belonging". Body hair is "out" these days, so biking may be just an excuse to shave. Wasn't it back in the 70's when body hair - now perceived as gross - was viewed as sexy? Either way, it seems bizarre when you think about it.

Hitting the pavement at a high speed with hair on your legs will rip the skin right off your bones if you are unlucky to get sandwiched between the pavement and your hair.
IT just gets peeled off your bones not a pretty sight.
Another reason why i shave that i forgot to mention in my previous post on this thread.
Apart from the chicks diggin it and my wife has known me with shaved legs since the beginning so she does not know anything else.

Originally posted by Metalleg

Jitterringjr, Come to Evansville, In and get a GOOD LAUGH !!!!
I am one of those out of shape fat guys with a couple of spare tires, but ya know what, they are deflating!!!!! You want to make fun of someone like me, go ahead. But remeber this, take 15 years off the bike, have some major health problems, then decide to take back you life by riding again. If that happens, use peoples imature thinking and ridicule as motivation, I know I rode several miles more today after I read your comments earlier this morning. THANKS!!!!

You tell'em Metalleg...I might be a lard-**** but I'm out there anyway. And if someone wants to make an issue out of it, they can start by kissing my fat a$$.

--Kate

Originally posted by Sidi
Hitting the pavement at a high speed with hair on your legs will rip the skin right off your bones if you are unlucky to get sandwiched between the pavement and your hair.
IT just gets peeled off your bones not a pretty sight.
Another reason why i shave that i forgot to mention in my previous post on this thread.
Apart from the chicks diggin it and my wife has known me with shaved legs since the beginning so she does not know anything else.

Peeled off the bone eh? Was that before or after you spit-roasted yourself in the oven?

Seriously though, please explain how hair causes skin to part from the bone. Did you experience this? Im quite interested.

Metalleg and others,

First off I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was trying to overstate that loosing a few pounds will help bike performance much more than the added aerodynamics.

I know it was poor choice of words especially for those who do not know me, but those words were mostly directed at myself after having gained 30 pounds after my knee surgery. I'm glad to say that thanks to cycling those pounds are gone now. But I do apologize for not better explaining myself.

Second point, Metalleg , you are shaving for your own reasons and not peer pressure and for that I applaud you.

Originally posted by jitteringjr
Metalleg and others,

First off I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was trying to overstate that loosing a few pounds will help bike performance much more than the added aerodynamics.

I know it was poor choice of words especially for those who do not know me, but those words were mostly directed at myself after having gained 30 pounds after my knee surgery. I'm glad to say that thanks to cycling those pounds are gone now. But I do apologize for not better explaining myself.

Second point, Metalleg , you are shaving for your own reasons and not peer pressure and for that I applaud you.

There you go jitteringjr, taking away my motivation now!!! :D

I appreciate the reply, and I too was probably a little too sarcastic. I apologize as well for taking your comments too personal.

I agree it is a personal choice along with many other issue's and you should decide based on what is best for yourself, not what someone else thinks or does.

Keep'm spinning
Troy aka Metalleg

I have to agree with most of the comments on this forum...but as ALL SERIOUS cyclist's know, the whole shaving thing has more to do with the look and feel than the hundreds of other reasons people try to come up with. It is all about being "one with the bike" It is an extension of yourself when you are in the "zone"...pushing hard with the peleton..smooth gleaming metal and shiny skin all together as the part human/part mechanical machine screaming along the tarmac. You ARE the bike and nothing can tell you apart........(don't even bother trying to explain this to your non-cycling buddies...they just won't get it....

Originally posted by roysto
I have to agree with most of the comments on this forum...but as ALL SERIOUS cyclist's know, the whole shaving thing has more to do with the look and feel than the hundreds of other reasons people try to come up with. It is all about being "one with the bike" It is an extension of yourself when you are in the "zone"...pushing hard with the peleton..smooth gleaming metal and shiny skin all together as the part human/part mechanical machine screaming along the tarmac. You ARE the bike and nothing can tell you apart........(don't even bother trying to explain this to your non-cycling buddies...they just won't get it....

Well said.

A few people have tried to compare it to swimming, but that is a different kettle of fish. I don't think triathlons are a fair proxy either - open-water swimming is less controlled than pool-swimming. A decent swimmer can tell what times they're lapping in to within two tenths (10,000 odd laps a week will do that to you), so you will notice small improvements. Open water swimming is just so variable that you'd never detect something as small as shaving. That said, in competitive pool swimming being shaved has three effects.

The first (and largest) is psychological. Shaving is something that you save up for serious competition and I used to find that its benefit wore off if I did it more than say twice a season (states and nationals). It shows that you're ready for competition, the gloves are off etc when you're shaved and tapered. The classic strategy used to be to turn up to your heats unshaved and secure a good lane for the final, then shave. This let everyone know you weren't giving it your best in the heats and still had more up your sleeves...

The second is that immediately after a shave, because you're roughing your skin up a bit and taking the older layers off the top, it tingles in the water. Doesn't add much in itself, but adds to that psychological effect mentioned above.

Third is the hydrodynamic aspect. I agree with all those that suggest it makes bugger-all difference in and of itself. But combined with the psych effects, it was easily worth almost an extra second to me over 100m.

As for cycling... Well, I've just started and so far have been thankful that its still winter here and I can wear leg warmers. I guess I'll have to make the decision in a few weeks!

I wax in summer and allow the growth to keep my legs warm in winter.
I receive alot of flack during races but I don't care and I'm happy for them to under estimate my ability.

Considering that MTB riders crash more frequently than Roadies I would have thought that MTBers would be more inclinded to shave, the opposite is true and I rarely crash my road bike.

In the Australian summer, heat transfer/release is a good arguement for shaving.

Brian

The main benefit I've found is that it feels cooler (sweat evaporation.....) Other than that, its for "the look". Be honest, a lot of what we do in this sport is for the tradition and look. Otherwise we'd be riding recumbents!!

Vanity! Pure and simple.
It feels good, looks good and the ladies do seem to like it! I bust my **** logging miles and want to show the results.....LOL.
Belonging! Plain and simple.
It is a commitment to the sport. I know football players who get tatoos as a sign of commitment. Hockey players who all bleach blond their hair as a team commitment. Well......by shaving you show your commitment to the sport. I love it when I get the "look" Yup....I`m no cross dresser buddy...I cycle! You don`t get these quads from watching TV.

Originally posted by rolfdevinci
Vanity! Pure and simple.
It feels good, looks good and the ladies do seem to like it! I bust my **** logging miles and want to show the results.....LOL.
Belonging! Plain and simple.
It is a commitment to the sport. I know football players who get tatoos as a sign of commitment. Hockey players who all bleach blond their hair as a team commitment. Well......by shaving you show your commitment to the sport. I love it when I get the "look" Yup....I`m no cross dresser buddy...I cycle! You don`t get these quads from watching TV.

On a slightly different tangent, I've had 'commitment' explained to me recently. Commitment, as opposed to 'involvement' that is. It's like in a bacon and egg sandwich.

The Chicken is merely involved in the process, whereas the pig really is committed.

Maybe the chickens don't shave?

Committment comes from how you ride, what you wear or shave is simply an outward sign.
I feel for all the riders that think they have to keep shaving during winter, I value my hair on cold mornings or wet afternoons.

Brian

Originally posted by The Dubliner
On a slightly different tangent, I've had 'commitment' explained to me recently. Commitment, as opposed to 'involvement' that is. It's like in a bacon and egg sandwich.

The Chicken is merely involved in the process, whereas the pig really is committed.

Maybe the chickens don't shave?

LOL. Good analogy. I do like the feel. After a real hard ride there is something soothing about sliding those shorn legs under cool bedsheets.
Involvement...yeah...much better choice of words.Thanks.

Originally posted by Brizza
Committment comes from how you ride, what you wear or shave is simply an outward sign.
I feel for all the riders that think they have to keep shaving during winter, I value my hair on cold mornings or wet afternoons.

Brian

True. It really comes down to personal choice. I like the look and how it feels so I do it. In my Saturday morning group we have shaved, not shaved,toe strapped,camelbac(ed)and team kitted riders. All ages and levels. In fact we have one guy who wears the TdeF yellow jersey with gorilla hairy legs who can drop me like a stone.
Personal choice. As far as i`m concerned it don`t matter what you wear or do as long as you spin the cranks.

Originally posted by rolfdevinci
Personal choice.
I think that's it. Whether it's a measure of commitment to the sport or that you just think your legs look better that way or whatever reason, it really comes down to everyone weighing the pros and cons and deciding for him/her self, no?

i have shaved my legs on and off for years, but I'm now trying a product called Nair for men, a body hair remover in cream formatt, apply wait 15mins scrape off with plastic knife (inc) it's claimed to last longer than shaving and the hairs grom back lighter and finer, thus making it easier and longer lasting each time, so far I'm impressed

If I'm gonna ride and local events or I'm doing alot of group rides with a lot of riders, I shave. During winter, early base miles or if i'm training for a century, then I don't worry about it.

JR

I'll wax come the heat of summer.
I wax as I don't like the cactus feeling or regrowth, and its good to build your pain tollerance.

Epilady devices are very good to clean up any hairs that the wax has missed.

Brian