To shave or not to shave? Opinions???

I don't want to sound immature but, when I first went to this thread I thought it meant shaving other parts of the body, ahem, but seriously what is the deal with shaving? Do tiny hairs on your legs seriously affect how you ride?

EDIT: sorry. I didn't mean to post this twice in a row, but I'm new here and I don't know how to get rid of this.

Originally posted by roysto
Well your point is hard to argue...although I defininatley prefer girls with smooth legs, cyclist or not....

Not sure if u cycle or not, but if u r not into cycling it is hard to really understand the culture. Like most sports, it is the things that people outside the "club" don't understand that make them unique. Cycling has many interesting "idios" that most people just don't see (or understand) Just watch a couple of hours of the Tour de France and u will see what I mean.

By the way, my wife actually prefers my legs shaved....

I'm glad that your wife prefers your legs shaved :) And yes, I do cycle. And I do understand that it's a cycling idios - just hard for me to totally understand why it started. -- as I guess many things in life. It's not like it turns me off, just find it a bit strange. Most women complain about shaving their legs - not our favorite thing to do. But, whatever. I love cycling, so each to their own.

Not me,,Not now,, Not ever. But if it works for you,,have at it. Im also a mountain biker so I guess it doesnt matter? I have always wondered about this myself tho. Most serious riders do shave.

Because your lyrca bike shorts are smooth, the only way to match your legs with the shorts is a clean shave. :D

side note 1: I've heard someone said pro swimmers shave all their body hair before competitons.

side note 2: Some people believe shaving make them look younger.

Originally posted by theedge
Because your lyrca bike shorts are smooth, the only way to match your legs with the shorts is a clean shave. :D

side note 1: I've heard someone said pro swimmers shave all their body hair before competitons.

side note 2: Some people believe shaving make them look younger.
:confused:

While we are on the subject, can anyone give me some tips on shaving / waxing? I get really itchy legs for the first few days after having them waxed. Is this normal (Girls??)...

dude,
maybe you can try hair removing cream like Nad's for Men. I also contemplated waxing but too much of a hassle and pain full.

V

Originally posted by roysto
:confused:

While we are on the subject, can anyone give me some tips on shaving / waxing? I get really itchy legs for the first few days after having them waxed. Is this normal (Girls??)...

Swimmers do shave their entire bodies before events - it's for aerodynamics in their case, it makes a huge difference. Same reason you see the top swimmers wearing water repellent full body speed suits, etc

Cyclists shaving legs do it to keep them clean and looking good, I spend a lot of time working on those legs, I damn sure want to show them off. Plus, most girls like how they feel better :p

Originally posted by vadimivich
Swimmers do shave their entire bodies before events - it's for aerodynamics in their case, it makes a huge difference. Same reason you see the top swimmers wearing water repellent full body speed suits, etc

Cyclists shaving legs do it to keep them clean and looking good, I spend a lot of time working on those legs, I damn sure want to show them off. Plus, most girls like how they feel better :p

'Aerodynamics' - swimming in air? naked skydiving? Hmm Perhaps you mean hydrodynamics? ;)

Sorry for being picky

Those who have responded to this one are more likely to be among the few who have actually given the practice of shaving some thought beyond the road rash excuse. Bottom line: It's just a look - a men do it as some bizarre signal that they belong to the circle of "serious" riders. There IS a medically sound reason for it, and it's NOT about hair getting ground into your road rash, but it does have to do with falling. Quiz: Do any of you know what it is? Even if you do, it's all but irrelevant anyway, since few people fall regularly enough for it to be worth it - so it still boils down to "belonging". Body hair is "out" these days, so biking may be just an excuse to shave. Wasn't it back in the 70's when body hair - now perceived as gross - was viewed as sexy? Either way, it seems bizarre when you think about it.

Interesting but correct me if I'm wrong after reading all these posts, but the only reasons that more than one person in favor of shaving were: 1. Peer pressure and 2. The chicks dig it.

Well my wife says it looks very unattractive. Which leaves peer pressure. Seriously are we all back in high school? Peer pressure? These are the best reasons?

Other than aerodynamics, I can't think of any good reasons. And unless you are competing and I don't mean finishing 52nd in your age group at a local event, I mean getting paid for it professional, the aerodynamics don't give you much advantage even when swimming and I have done a few triathlons to know this.

I don't shave. Don’t see the need in my personal situation because even though I compete, I compete against my own times and shaving for one event and not another doesn't make sense.

Side note: I think it is funny seeing these fat and out of shape guys with shaved legs on bikes. Like the loss of hair is going to makeup for the additional 30-pound spare tire around the waist. Save the donuts guys.

So shave or not, its your prerogative. However, peer pressure is not ‘your’ prerogative.

Originally posted by jitteringjr
Interesting but correct me if I'm wrong after reading all these posts, but the only reasons that more than one person in favor of shaving were: 1. Peer pressure and 2. The chicks dig it.

Being a newbie(again I was going to stay out of this and just watch, but hey, thats not me....
Here is my reasoning: Motivation I ride for myself, with the exception of my family (if I am healthy I may be around longer with them). I do not ride to impress people in a club, other riders on the street or anyone else. I ride for me. Shaving my legs is motivation for me to "Try" and be the best "I" can be, just like those before me who rode because they love it.
I don't think it is areodynamic, If I crash that bad, I probably got other problems than worring if the hair is going to be a factor and my wife only uses it to her advantage. You see, I tease her when she gets "Stubbly", now turn about is fair play.

Side note: I think it is funny seeing these fat and out of shape guys with shaved legs on bikes. Like the loss of hair is going to makeup for the additional 30-pound spare tire around the waist. Save the donuts guys.

Jitterringjr, Come to Evansville, In and get a GOOD LAUGH !!!!
I am one of those out of shape fat guys with a couple of spare tires, but ya know what, they are deflating!!!!! You want to make fun of someone like me, go ahead. But remeber this, take 15 years off the bike, have some major health problems, then decide to take back you life by riding again. If that happens, use peoples imature thinking and ridicule as motivation, I know I rode several miles more today after I read your comments earlier this morning. THANKS!!!!

BTW< I havn't had a donut in months, but we are getting a Krispy Kreme Shoppe opening later this month here in Evansville, so I may have to splurge once in awhile.

You tell 'em, Metalleg. I think you've given the best reason of anybody for/against shaving.

People who ridicule others for anything they choose or choose not to do miss the point - its an individual's choice. If somebody wants to wear pro gear, let 'em. If somebody needs a camelback on their road rides, no skin off anybody else's nose. If somebody chooses to shave their legs, for whatever reason, those reasons are their own and are not necessarily known by others, much less open for judgement. All this negativity looks to me like a bunch of hormone-jacked teenagers with such compromised esteem that the only way they can raise themselves up is to denigrate others. True champions don't have to remind others that they aren't.

Originally posted by spaulding
There IS a medically sound reason for it, and it's NOT about hair getting ground into your road rash, but it does have to do with falling. Quiz: Do any of you know what it is?
Well, it's gotta be something trickier than not wincing so much when pulling bandaids off, so how about enlightening me? Or are you going to wait to see how imaginative the answers get? :D

I have heard it said that for Tour riders who receive a daily massage the lack of hair helps them avoid getting infected hair follicles and makes the massage experience more soothing.

As someone with shockingly hairy legs I really couldn't imagine shaving them as the stubble problem strikes me as being a nightmare :eek:. I would probably try a depilatory cream or something if I were going down that path...

Originally posted by lesliegee
I'm a woman, and I find it weird enough that our society has determined that women should shave their legs to be socially acceptable ( I do shave my legs) - but if there is no improvement in your biking abilities, I find it really weird that a man would voluntarily shave their legs. And oh, by the way, I don't know many women who find it a turn on.

Personally I just love the way it feels in between the sheets. I also find that I can dry off more easily after a shower. All that aside, and not that I crash alot (knock wood now that the subject has been brought up) in the event that you do go down it does make for a cleaner wound. by the way, my wife has gotten quite fond of the look. I also recommend nair for men. Not sure what makes it different than Nair, but it makes me feel more manly to use a gender specific product.:)

[Ratface and Barr on page 3 hit the nail on the head.
Pro riders and other competitive racers tend to crash a couple of times a year. Amazing but true, at least statistically. Bandaging and dressing wounds is easier and more hygienic when the skin is smoothly shaven. Ratface is right about massaging.

Originally posted by lesliegee
I'm a woman, and I find it weird enough that our society has determined that women should shave their legs to be socially acceptable ( I do shave my legs) - but if there is no improvement in your biking abilities, I find it really weird that a man would voluntarily shave their legs. And oh, by the way, I don't know many women who find it a turn on.

You must not know to many woman cause most of them find this an attractive trait. In my case i am smother than my wife.
I shave cause i have been in more accidents, caused by other people than i like to admit and i hate having the doctor pull the road rash out with a wire brush.
Shaving looks good and gives me confidance. I am " conforming"
to the latest tradition but for a very sane reason. Safety!
Speed advantages over unshaved legs are neglible and not worth talking about.
And you bet your rear end i pass the guy with unshaven legs for the simple fact that i dont think he is serious enough to be in the peloton and that scares me. This guy might not even raise his hands, or point to, obstacles in the road if he sees them and lead me directly into them.

I went back and forth over the shaving issue for several weeks before I took the plunge. First, I got a good buy on a $40 clipper for $10. A good omen, I thought. Next, I got one of those triple bladed razors. I thought two blades were b.s. and three must be outright insulting. Not so. The three-blade design stays cleaner during the shave and rinses easier, too. I use the mug and brush technique for lather. I dip the brush in the bowl for a little sloppier lather just before I spread it on. Then I go to town from ankles to upper thighs. Some of my shorts are higher than the bike shorts, so I shave a bit higher than bike shorts require.

There are so many tall tales about shaving; it’s hard to sort out what’s what. I don’t care anymore. Shaving is a state of mind. I ride faster since I started shaving. I will continue to shave. I also got the tips of my hair bleached at the last haircut. After shaving my legs, my wife suspected I am nuts. With the bleached tips, now she’s convinced. Anybody know anything about tattoos?