To Shave or not To Shave?

wamara

Jun 19, 2003
Legs...To Shave or not To Shave?!
Am I really looking like a dweeb if I'm the only one with hairy legs at the race or group ride?

Shave some racing stripes into your hair. Nobody will doubt your sincerity if you have nice and clean stripes down your legs:D Really, I don’t know. If it’s going to be a pain for you to keep your legs clean shaven I’d just forget it. I’ve seen a few riders with really short stubble and it just looks odd. I leave mine hairy because its summer and i can't really be bothered to shave my face, let alone my legs. That and i'm a casual rider.

IF you are racing or doing rides in serious (ie fast) groups, then I would say to shave. You will find that little bit of extra respect or space when needed. It is a bit like showing that you are a committed cyclist (provided you ride sensibly/not dangerously).

If you are just casual, riding with mates etc, then do whatever is comfortable for you.

P.S. It will not make you go faster.:cool:
P.P.S. If you crash, you won't have to pluck hairs out of the crusty scabs.:mad:

I look at it this way... If I were interested in racing orwas being paid... I'd shave...

I don't ride in packs here in the USA because they are crazy stupid and are out to get you into a crash.

However in the few large events I do participate in I find no disrespect because I don't shave. Even at 50kph.