to shave or not to shave?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sutters, Jan 27, 2006.

1. luv2ride

luv2ride New Member

there is a guy at my bike shop who told me that hair acts like velcro when it hits asphalt, that your skin peels a lot easier when there is hair on the legs. And when you do crash ( I have multiple times) it is nice to not have to grimace when taking bandages off. :D

2. roadhog

roadhog New Member

I agree that this is the real reason a majority of shavers shave. I'd say crit riders have a definite argument with the wounds and healing, etc. Everyone else - we just like the look or something. I ride thousands of miles a year (including much group riding) and can't remember my last crash. And I can't even convince my wife to massage my legs. Yet I still shave despite knowing there is no practical reason for me....

3. F1_Fan

F1_Fan New Member

Poor you... in my experience, chicks dig it! Shave high enough that they want to go exploring... ;)

Besides... in conversation lulls you can pass time by swapping shaving tips.

4. BanditManDan

BanditManDan New Member

I just crashed at a race and I'm glad I had my legs shaved. It definitly makes healing and cleaning less painful. And I also think it looks better too.

5. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Just wait till that fall when all your skin is ripped off and those hairs make it a mess to clean and take care of..

6. achtervolger

achtervolger New Member

I think all considered, it's more about cycling fashion for anyone not racing and receiving daily massage or fairly frequent road rash treatment. Because what's easier, cleaning road rash twice a year (or much less) or shaving/whatever else every 2 weeks. When I was racing, I did it, no chance now. Way to much of a hassle for me personally.

Whatever you want to do is fine, to each his own! It does look good clean.

7. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 New Member

Yep, had that last summer, and Id go back and shave if I could. I had a patch of road rash from ankle to hip. I know better, and shave now.