To the former Overweight Bike Riders

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dsat, May 9, 2003.

  1. Dsat

    Dsat Guest

    Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup and
    riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat height or fore
    aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to your bike?

    Tags:

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup and
    > riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat height or
    > fore aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to your bike?

    A former very overweight rider who's now just overweight: on the bike I use for fast (for me) short
    rides, now that I can lean forward without my knees digging into my belly on the upstroke as used to
    happen, I have the seat higher, further back and a longer lower stem fitted. Peter
    [email protected]

  3. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup and
    > riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat height or
    > fore aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to your bike?

    Only pussies have "tummies"! Are you a pussy?

  4. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup and
    > > riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat height or
    > > fore aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to your bike?
    >
    > Only have "tummies"! Are you a ?

    Bob, this is a public place and we try to keep it clean. It's one of the few places left on the 'net
    that I'd actually let my kids read. I'm sure you could have gotten your crass point across without
    being foul.

    -Buck

  5. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup
    > > > and riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat
    > > > height or fore aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to
    > > > your bike?
    > >
    > > Only have "tummies"! Are you a ?
    >
    > Bob, this is a public place and we try to keep it clean. It's one of the
    few
    > places left on the 'net that I'd actually let my kids read. I'm sure you could have gotten your
    > crass point across without being foul.
    >
    > -Buck

    If you allow your kids access to usenet you are a moron!

  6. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup
    > > > and riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat
    > > > height or fore aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to
    > > > your bike?
    > >
    > > Only have "tummies"! Are you a ?
    >
    > Bob, this is a public place and we try to keep it clean. It's one of the
    few
    > places left on the 'net that I'd actually let my kids read. I'm sure you could have gotten your
    > crass point across without being foul.
    >
    > -Buck

    Are you a pussy too?

  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Bob Garrison" wrote

    > > > Only have "tummies"! Are you a ?
    > >
    > > Bob, this is a public place and we try to keep it clean. It's one of the
    > few
    > > places left on the 'net that I'd actually let my kids read. I'm sure you could have gotten your
    > > crass point across without being foul.
    > >
    > > -Buck
    > >

    > If you allow your kids access to usenet you are a moron!

    I don't have (or want) kids, don't have (much of) a tummy, don't see myself as a pussy, and I don't
    see myself as a moron. But I get all the rude language I need on rec.climbing and rec.skiing.alpine,
    and it doesn't do mch for me. Could we please keep this newsgroup civilized?
    --
    mark

  8. Buck

    Buck Guest

    Another one for the killfile.....

  9. Grl

    Grl Guest

    Excellent idea.

    Zap. He's gone.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Bob Garrison <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> "Bob Garrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > Only have "tummies"! Are you a ?
    >>
    >> Bob, this is a public place and we try to keep it clean. It's one of the
    >few
    >> places left on the 'net that I'd actually let my kids read. I'm sure you could have gotten your
    >> crass point across without being foul.
    >>
    >> -Buck
    >>

    >Are you a pussy too?

    What a (plonk) loser... good riddance.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (DSat) wrote:

    > Since you have lost all of those pounds from bike riding, how has it changed your bike setup and
    > riding position/style? Have you needed more/less reach (ie longer/shorter stem)? Seat height or
    > fore aft adjustments? In summary, minus the tummy, have you made any adjustments to your bike?

    I have lost nearly sixty pounds in the last year, which I blame mostly on cycling. I have noticed
    that my saddle is rather uncomfortable, oddly enough. It seems to dig in the not-so-nice places and
    sometimes makes me hurt. Otherwise, the bike seems to be fine. I have been adjusting my seat up
    more to get more power and found a "natural cadence" that seems to be a lot higher than before.
    Hope that helps!

  12. "Donny Harder Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I have lost nearly sixty pounds in the last year, which I blame mostly on cycling. I have noticed
    > that my saddle is rather uncomfortable, oddly enough. It seems to dig in the not-so-nice places
    > and sometimes makes me hurt.

    Try a different saddle.

    Sit down on a hard curb; the two hard bones which you feel yourself sitting on (ischial
    tuberosities) are the two bones that must be supported by the saddle. too narrow, and you're riding
    on your unmentionables; too wide, and you sink into the saddle putting pressure on...your
    unmentionables. If your rear is no longer the same shape as it was 12 months ago, maybe a new saddle
    might be indicated?

    Or you could spend the big bucks and buy a recumbent--whereupon we'd have to banish you from this
    ng. *grin*.

    -Luigi

    >Otherwise, the bike seems to be fine. I have been adjusting my seat up more to get more power and
    >found a "natural cadence" that seems to be a lot higher than before. Hope that helps!

  13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Luigi de
    Guzman) wrote:

    > Sit down on a hard curb; the two hard bones which you feel yourself sitting on (ischial
    > tuberosities) are the two bones that must be supported by the saddle. too narrow, and you're
    > riding on your unmentionables; too wide, and you sink into the saddle putting pressure on...your
    > unmentionables. If your rear is no longer the same shape as it was 12 months ago, maybe a new
    > saddle might be indicated?

    Indeed and I have been looking into that. Just a matter of finding the right one -- out of MANY to
    choose from. *sigh*

    > Or you could spend the big bucks and buy a recumbent--whereupon we'd have to banish you from this
    > ng. *grin*.

    No worries there -- I'd fall straight off one of those. :)