To those who ride to lose/maintian weight..

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Benzwiz, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Benzwiz

Benzwiz New Member

Hey ppl,
    I'm trying to get into cycling as my main cardio workout and was wondering how the ppl on this board have been doing with maintaining and losing weight while riding.
    I was wondering if you could post how long you've been riding, how far you ride, and how much weight you've lost.

Also I consider myself pretty fit, can anyone give me pointers as to how much I should ride a week and what my ultimate goals should be (races and the sort..)
    TIA
    Mike
    :cool:

Tags:

2. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

A TON of people lose large amounts of weight cycling. I am a pretty in-shape guy (body fat analysis in 3 hours so I'll know how in shape). I put on a few pounds from being lazy and eating poorly (70+hr weeks :( ). I got back in the saddle this year just about 1.5 months ago and I've lost 16 lbs. back to what I hope is under 10% body fat. I am training for a 70 mile ride in October - currently max ride is in the 50's. I DID change my diet - I eat more now but I eat healthy stuff.

For weight loss? I would suggest that you ride 5 days a week with varying distances. Start off with a 10 mile ride and guage how well that feels - increase/decrease to fit you better.

3. MsMittens

MsMittens New Member

I definately agree with this. I've lost 40lbs from July 1, 2003 to today. I still have a few more pounds to go (about another 30 - 40) but I have found that eating healthier (fewer junk food trips) and cycling more (nothing less than 5 times a week --> 200KM per week) ensured a healthy weight lose of 1-2lbs per week. I do have to be careful, however, about how much I eat. (Reality says that if you eat more than you burn you will still gain!). :)

4. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

Started riding right around 2 months ago. I was right at 210 lbs. and 6' tall. Not fat, but more body fat than I wanted.

I'm down to 193 as of this morning.

Right now, I'm averaging about 100 miles a week. Most of my rides are in the 25-30 mile range. I did NOT start this way. My first ride was 6 miles, the next day was 10..etc. First one about killed me.

It's real hilly around here, so I get a workout regardless of how fast I'm trying to go. I also changed the way I eat, not quanity so much as quality. Pretty much what the other guys have already told you.

Due to the diet and exercise, I feel MUCH MUCH better. It's well worth the investment...even if you want to splurge on a $5k bike. You're investing in your health, and you HAVE to ride if you spend that much on it..lol (I did NOT spend that much, but considered it)

Good luck!!!

John

5. DeanC

DeanC New Member

I "re-discovered" my bicycle back in late July after about 12 years away. At that time I was 255lbs (30% BF) and a 6 mi loop with 1 little and shallow hill in it felt like a TdF stage to me.

Two months and 350 miles later I'm 246lbs (28%), a "good" weekend ride to me now is 30mi and 1800ft of climbing and if work and family commitments keep me off the bike for more than two days I start to get twitchy. In a couple of more months I plan do be doing a 60-70 miler for my "long" ride on the weekend and I'm trying to decide whether to aim for the Marin Century next August or if I'm crazy enough to aim for the Mt Tam Double... (I've also told myself that once I hit the 1000 more miles mark on my '89 Bianchi Limited that I'll buy myself a shiny new bike. :))

The great thing about cycling for weight loss is that it's something you can do for a long time at a go. I hate, hate, *HATE* running. 10-12 minutes of running is about all I can stand before I want to become a serial killer. But bicycling for two-three hours seems like a fine idea.

As for your goals, just go ride for a while. Put 1000mi on your bike and then worry about it. By that time you'll know what type of bicycling interests you.

Dean

6. joule

joule New Member

Started riding after a 12 year absence the beginning of August with little or no exercise in the past few years. Was 5' 6.5", 47 years of age, and 170 lbs at that time. My first ride was a 18.5 mile loop that took me 94 mins to complete. When weather was bad or family commitments prevented me from riding, I'd ride my rollers, initially only for 15 mins. Been on the bike now for two months, missing at most 1 day a week. On weekends now doing a 40 mile loop in 2 hrs 15 mins, and my weekday after work loop of 18.5 miles in 59 mins. Roller time is up to 45 mins now. Weight is now down to 150 lbs and aiming for 140 lbs and my first century in 30 years late this year or early next. Goals next year is to race and not get lapped :D.

Been eating less, minimal junk food, watching saturated fat and cholesterol and no fast food.

7. TommyGunn

TommyGunn New Member

I am 6'4" ,210 and currently have about 12% boday fat. i have been cycling for around 4 years approx 150miles per week.

i have lost no weight whatsoever, but have lost about 1.5% body fat. My cardio has gone through the roof though.

However - i don't eat that well (too much steak) and drink waaay to much (damn it!)

If i wasn't cycling, i would probably be somewhere around 260....i used to be a professional rugby player in Europe - now i just ride the bike so i can keep some fitness and to get away from the wife.......:D

8. Jakebrake

Jakebrake New Member

After a 15 year hiatus from bicycling, I started riding again about 5 years ago. I'm 6'1", and at this time I weighed 210 lbs. Currently, I'm down to 158 lbs, and cycle roughly 250 miles a week. As others had mentioned, besides the cycling, I changed my diet and eating/drinking habits and this helped greatly.

9. greenmig

greenmig New Member

I started riding about 7 1/2 months ago. I stand about 5'11" and when I started I was a fat biatch @ 231 lbs. I have dropped about 27lbs. But in the last 4-6 weeks I have plateaud a bit, but my fitness is on the rise. When I started I nearly died after a 30km ride. Now I do at least 200km's a week with at least 5 rides. The group rides I do I started in the slow group and am now in the fast group mixing it up with some of the big boyz. I still want to lose about another 15lbs and I think I need to change my diet for that (too many chockies and chips :p ). I have been doing some reading and there is no doubt that time on the bike is key but one thing the big boys say is that recovery rides are key - heaps of em...like almost 3/4 of the km's you do should be at 60-65% of max HR. This lower speed/HR, high cadence training also tends to target energy from fat stores. This has helped me alot. Another thing I have started in the past few months is pilates to improve core strength and again I think this is very complimentary for cycling. I must get a fat % test done next time I get a massage :)

10. DeanC

DeanC New Member

6'1" and 158lbs!? Holy cow! What's your BF %? 1-2%? At 247 I know I'm over weight/over fat but I've got 178lbs of lean body mass and I'm 2" shorter than you!

Dean

11. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Cycling has changed my life so much, I have been riding since last October, since Jan Ist 04 I've done around 2400 miles, I started off at 4-5 miles in the evenings and 30 miles saturdays and sundays...

I find I have lost inches rather than a huge amount of Lbs, although I have lost around 20Lbs (approx), I rarely eat fast food...I love French Fries and Potatoes though
    :eek:

The biggest benefit to me personally is that I had a chronic back problem, it would go out every few months...now I have zero problems ever, which is fantastic...my cardio has improved immensely, my Legs look 10x better and are much stronger...I get less stressed out...so it's really been a huge benefit to me....as I said, Cycling has changed my life completely....

I'm an ex Soccer Player, so I've always had good legs but got lazy after my back problem...

And by the way, I'm around 5'11" and 210Lbs...I have a large frame so I really don't look that much overweight, so another 20Lbs and I'll be delighted...If I could only cut out the starch I'd be golden :(

My best advice is to pass on what worked for me...ride as often as you can, as far as you can...you don't need a heart monitor etc, just ride to a percieved level...and remember, it never stops hurting, you'll just ride faster and further...

However, it is a good idea to have your heart checked out by a Doc before you start doing anything silly...I didn't, but I was just lucky....

I'm as fit as a Butcher's Dog now, thanks to riding my bike...

Good luck!!!

12. Jakebrake

Jakebrake New Member

I'm about at 10%. My friends call me I-beam. If I turn sideways, it's hard to see me. :)

13. DeanC

DeanC New Member

LoL! If I ever run into you on the road I'll have to remember to not even think about trying to hang on a hill. :)

Dean

14. Jakebrake

Jakebrake New Member

It looks like you are making good progress, you have short range and long range goals set, and you are seeing improvements. Give it a bit more time and you'll be riding right beside me on the hill with your shiny new bike. :)

A great motivator in that, making yourself "earn" a new bike. Every new bike I purchased I always set a goal (increased mileage, improved performance, weight loss, etc.) I needed to reach in order to earn my new ride.

15. TheToad

TheToad New Member

Im in this boat, I'm 182 cms (6footsomething) and started at about 100Kgs (220Lbs for the non metric), around November last year. I'm now on 88Kgs (193Lbs) and ride around 150-250Ks a week depending on what I'm doing on the weekends..I am finding now that I'm acutally putting weight back on (was 86Kgs) due to muscle bulk in my legs, back and arms (from ripping on the bars while on the MTB) but that doesn't bother me, just means I'm getting fitter and stronger I guess. Most of my weekly road rides vary from 20-40Ks (12-24Mile) and on weekends I will ride up to 70Ks a day on the mountain bike because I have the time. I seam to eat like a horse these days but mostly quality food. I allow myself one day a week where I can eat whatever I want (ie pizza) and that seams to work. I am aiming to join a local MTB club shortly and race XC. But I mostly ride to feel sharp, and I just plain enjoy gettting out for a roll, especially with a bunch of "mad" mates.

16. Carrera

Carrera New Member

You seem to indicate you're cycling as a means of losing body fat (maybe you do another sport).
    I think cycling is a far better way to do cardio than treadmills or step machines e.t.c. How much weight you lose will depend on your body type.
    My own situation is strange. I'm an ectomorph but had a very slow metabolism when I started cycling while I weighed around 200 lbs. For ages my metabolism stayed slow but now it's very fast and I can eat what I want, to a point.
    The key to losing weight is to cycle less often but for longer periods (if you're doing another sport). My guess is it can take many weeks till the metabolism kick-starts so you may notice little change in the beginning.
    Endomorphs or mesomorphs may find the whole process more difficult than I do as these types tend to hold on to body mass more.

17. thotdoc

thotdoc New Member

I'm 62 yo, 5'11' and started cycling 2 years ago. I weighed about 204. I have large legs and was and am well muscled overall. I ride 120 mpw in hilly terrain and push myself. Riding made me stronger, firmer and smaller in the waist. The weight I've lost, I'm down to 185, has been through winter dieting. I never ate that much when I was training during the summer, but the weight would not come off, no matter how little I ate (coffee and toast breakfast, salad lunch, decent dinner, no dessert, no real snacking at night-typically cereal, raisins and nuts about 9PM).

Riding in hilly terrain requires power. Power requires food, so I really did not do well cutting down below my typical diet. I put on much leg muscle, perhaps that was where the stable weight came from from what I can tell.

Love to ride..

G

18. dallasbikr

dallasbikr New Member

Been riding this time since late July, so just over 2 months. Started with one mile, now I'm up to 30 mile rides on the weekends. At night I do a 6 lap criterium (1.6 miles per lap) around my neighborhood.

I weighed close to 195 when I started, now down to 181-184, depending on what I eat and how often I get out. My diet is horrible, so I have to limit portions. The thing is...I'm not losing all that much weight, but everything fits better so I figure I'm dropping fat and adding muscle which is just fine with me :D

I used to do 20-30 a day, almost every day back in my 20's (pre wife and kids). Once did 156 miles in 12 hours in a UMCA event (1996).

19. jslopez93

jslopez93 New Member

Commuted six months on my mountain bike (about 13 miles both ways) and with martial arts on the weekends lost 25 lbs in less thn six months. This without changing my eating habits.

Ofcourse I got hit with the biking bug and did a ton more riding during the weekends. Am now on a road bike and my friends say that I'm pretty good (especially on hills) for a guy who's had a road biek for 3 weeks.

20. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

I was an avid cyclist who took a slight bread (about 10 years) before getting back into it about 5 months ago. I have lost a lot of weight (40 lbs) and feel better than I can ever remember. The days I ride I have MUCH more energy that day and feel like I could take on the world. It is truely a life changing experience. As opposed to working out to lose weight (aerobics, etc) I feel biking is superior for me because it is my hobby. I am losing weight because I ride, not riding to lose weight. Adding in the motivation of organized rides, and possibly racing, bicycling is a wonderful activity. Keep it up, have fun, and enjoy the bike.