To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

rosborn

Aug 26, 2004
Howdo,

I have a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper (basic model). The components that came with the bike are bottom of the line and it is an 8-speed. It's a decent beginner's bike but you can tell that it is a beginner's bike. My other ride is a 2005 Specialized Tarmac and you can tell the difference in quality between the two bikes. Obviously, you should be able to because one was $500 and the other was $2300. I spend most of my time on the Tarmac but enjoy riding the trails with the Rockhopper but have always wished that I had bought the Stumpjumper HT.

I am thinking about upgrading the Rockhopper to a 9-speed with better components. This is going to require me to buy a new cassette, new rear derailleur, new front derailleur, new shifters, etc., to not only make it a lighter bike but also better. My question is this - is an upgrade to my Rockhopper a smart thing to do or would it be smarter to just wait a bit and buy a Stumpjumper that already meets the requirements I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Rob

rosborn said:
Howdo,

I have a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper (basic model). The components that came with the bike are bottom of the line and it is an 8-speed. It's a decent beginner's bike but you can tell that it is a beginner's bike. My other ride is a 2005 Specialized Tarmac and you can tell the difference in quality between the two bikes. Obviously, you should be able to because one was $500 and the other was $2300. I spend most of my time on the Tarmac but enjoy riding the trails with the Rockhopper but have always wished that I had bought the Stumpjumper HT.

I am thinking about upgrading the Rockhopper to a 9-speed with better components. This is going to require me to buy a new cassette, new rear derailleur, new front derailleur, new shifters, etc., to not only make it a lighter bike but also better. My question is this - is an upgrade to my Rockhopper a smart thing to do or would it be smarter to just wait a bit and buy a Stumpjumper that already meets the requirements I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Rob
How much would it cost to upgrade the components versus buying a new Stumpjumper?

TheDarkLord said:
How much would it cost to upgrade the components versus buying a new Stumpjumper?
9-Speed Cassette = $99.99
Front Derailleur = $49.99
Rear Derailleur = $109.99
Crankset = $269.99
Shifters = $135.99
Break Levers = $84.99

About $800.00 with tax

A new Stumpjumper (with lighter frame and better shocks) = $1450

rosborn said:
Crankset = $269.99
Shifters = $135.99
Break Levers = $84.99

About $800.00 with tax

Well you could eliminate the front derailleur and the crankset from that list and save 300 bucks. The wieght difference won't be much and you'll still have a decent 9 speed upgrade.

rosborn said:
Crankset = $269.99
Shifters = $135.99
Break Levers = $84.99

About $800.00 with tax

factor in what you could sell the old bike for. If' it's anywhere neare $500, the answer will be obvious.

gemship said:
Well you could eliminate the front derailleur and the crankset from that list and save 300 bucks. The wieght difference won't be much and you'll still have a decent 9 speed upgrade.
I guess I was under the impression that upgrading from an 8-speed to a 9-speed system would require at least a new front derailleur, maybe not a new crankset but definitely a new front derailleur. The FD on the bike right now is a Shimano that I can't even find any info on but I'm pretty sure it's designed for an 8-speed.

Camilo said:
factor in what you could sell the old bike for. If' it's anywhere neare $500, the answer will be obvious.
Good idea but I'm doubtful since the bike only cost $520 to begin with but I'll definitely consider putting in on Cragslist.

rosborn said:
I guess I was under the impression that upgrading from an 8-speed to a 9-speed system would require at least a new front derailleur, maybe not a new crankset but definitely a new front derailleur. The FD on the bike right now is a Shimano that I can't even find any info on but I'm pretty sure it's designed for an 8-speed.

I think the FD can stay as well as the crank. The main differences are the 9 speed cassette and sti shifter controlling the RD. That being said everything else could stay on. I actually have a similiar bike to yours, its the Trek 4300sl. Aluminum framed hardtail 24 speed mountainbike. With Shimano Alivio everything. The shimano sti shifter and brake share the same perch,clamp to the handlebars which is kinda silly. Shimano Deore, a level better offers separate perch/clamping of the brakes and shifters which makes sense. Have you tried checking out EBay? I see lots of great bike parts there.

rosborn said:
From the specialized website, the front derailleur is Shimano Acera M-330 while the rear derailleur is Shimano Alivio M-410. The crankset is Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline with replaceable rings.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22177 (click on technical specifications).

TheDarkLord said:
From the specialized website, the front derailleur is Shimano Acera M-330 while the rear derailleur is Shimano Alivio M-410. The crankset is Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline with replaceable rings.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22177 (click on technical specifications).
Yeah, I know that's what the website says but what's on my bike ain't what the website describes. For example: the rear derailleur on my bike is an SRAM X-5 and the shifters are SRAM SX4's. The front derailleur says Shimano and that's all. The crank is a Truvativ.

Looked at the link you provided and that's for the 2007 Rockhopper. Mine is a 2006.

gemship said:
I think the FD can stay as well as the crank. The main differences are the 9 speed cassette and sti shifter controlling the RD. That being said everything else could stay on. I actually have a similiar bike to yours, its the Trek 4300sl. Aluminum framed hardtail 24 speed mountainbike. With Shimano Alivio everything. The shimano sti shifter and brake share the same perch,clamp to the handlebars which is kinda silly. Shimano Deore, a level better offers separate perch/clamping of the brakes and shifters which makes sense. Have you tried checking out EBay? I see lots of great bike parts there.
My son has a 4300 and loves it. So, have you upgraded the components on your bike?

I took a quick look on Ebay and you were right. There are a lot of great bike parts there, even new ones still in the box.

TheDarkLord said:
On second thought, by not going with the Shimano Deore XT or the SRAM X-9, I have arrived at a more realistic cost. By going with either the Shimano Deore LX or the SRAM X7 component groups I have reduced the overall cost to around $440. Still ugrading to 9-speed and will be able to do what I want do with the bike.

rosborn said:
My son has a 4300 and loves it. So, have you upgraded the components on your bike?

I took a quick look on Ebay and you were right. There are a lot of great bike parts there, even new ones still in the box.

Nope, haven't done anything in terms of upgrades. But I did add some wieght to it with a Topeak detachable front fender and a topeak quick release beam rack/bungeed milk crate. Took off the knobbies and put on a set of Ritchey Tom Slicks. I bought the bike to do some mountain biking with my girlfriend but we only went together a couple of times last fall. Since then I have used the bike as a commuter to and from work. Mine is the disk brake model but I prefer v brakes. I actually had to replace the rear deraileur and bought the wrong one so now I only have use of seven gears instead of my bigggest 32t cog on the back but thats okay because its a granny gear anyway. ;)

Which bears the question, do you really think you will use that extra gear much? Personally I find I could always get by without a lot in terms of tech due to my improving strength/technique as a rider.

gemship said:
Nope, haven't done anything in terms of upgrades. But I did add some wieght to it with a Topeak detachable front fender and a topeak quick release beam rack/bungeed milk crate. Took off the knobbies and put on a set of Ritchey Tom Slicks. I bought the bike to do some mountain biking with my girlfriend but we only went together a couple of times last fall. Since then I have used the bike as a commuter to and from work. Mine is the disk brake model but I prefer v brakes. I actually had to replace the rear deraileur and bought the wrong one so now I only have use of seven gears instead of my bigggest 32t cog on the back but thats okay because its a granny gear anyway. ;)

Which bears the question, do you really think you will use that extra gear much? Personally I find I could always get by without a lot in terms of tech due to my improving strength/technique as a rider.
I probably will never use the extra gear, quite honestly. The problem is that almost all of the component upgrades are compatable for 9-speed groupos. That means if I want to upgrade the rear derailleur or the shifters I'm gonna have to switch the whole darn thing over to the 9-speed system I could be wrong but that's the way it appears to be. It looks like all of the component manufacturors are getting away from the 8-speed stuff and are firmly into 9-speed stuff.

rosborn said:
I probably will never use the extra gear, quite honestly. The problem is that almost all of the component upgrades are compatable for 9-speed groupos. That means if I want to upgrade the rear derailleur or the shifters I'm gonna have to switch the whole darn thing over to the 9-speed system I could be wrong but that's the way it appears to be. It looks like all of the component manufacturors are getting away from the 8-speed stuff and are firmly into 9-speed stuff.
Considering that you can still buy many bikes which are 8-speed (some do come with LX components), you should be able to upgrade without going to 9-speed. Of course, there is no harm in going up to a 9-speed, but yes, you wouldn't notice any big difference with one extra cog.

What do you hope to gain by upgrading?

Yes, you will save a few grams... and you will pick up an extra cog on the rear, and in theory slightly better shifting... which of these three is the one you are willing to spend the largest chunk of the $1,000 you are looking to spend on? Or are you hoping for something else?

You will not turn this into a Tarmac unless you buy a Tarmac.

If you narrow down what your primary objective is, you can figure out which subset of upgrades would be the most cost effective for you.

rosborn said:
A 6/7/8spd FD works with a 9spd chain, but the shifting is not as crisp as with a 9spd derailleur. The 9spd cage is narrower.
I tried for a while with a 9spd setup and found that dirt/grit in the 6/7/8spd FD would really send shifting up the spout, so I got the 9spd derailleur and the problem was solved.

dgregory57 said:
What do you hope to gain by upgrading?

Yes, you will save a few grams... and you will pick up an extra cog on the rear, and in theory slightly better shifting... which of these three is the one you are willing to spend the largest chunk of the $1,000 you are looking to spend on? Or are you hoping for something else?

You will not turn this into a Tarmac unless you buy a Tarmac.

If you narrow down what your primary objective is, you can figure out which subset of upgrades would be the most cost effective for you.
Not trying to turn it into a Tarmac - already have one of those :) .

But, you're right. Do I even ride it enough, right now, to warrant any upgrades? Good questions and food for thought.

Thanks!