To upgrading or not to upgrade derailer on old bike & Shimano ST-A073

scarleton

Jul 15, 2013
Folks,

My bike is a 23 year-old Moody Fox which is only a 7x3 speed. I seem to be attached to the bike and as I talk with more folks, I am seeing less and less reason to replace it. The things I don't like about the bike is the choppy shifting action. I discovered I do need a new cassette, so I will have that on Friday. I am wondering though about the derailer, I have an LX400.

All the high end modern derailers are 9 to 11 speed, so I am wondering if the current 7 speed derailers are any better than what I have currently. I am seeking advise, is it a worth while upgrade? If so, what one should I get? The bike is all Shimano, so I would like to stick with that unless there is a good reason for another brand.

I am also thinking of moving to drop handle bars, my impression is that the Shimano ST-A073 7 Speed Brake/Shift Lever Set 7 x 3 will work for my bike. Is this correct?

Sam

Quote: Originally Posted by scarleton .
Folks,

My bike is a 23 year-old Moody Fox which is only a 7x3 speed. I seem to be attached to the bike and as I talk with more folks, I am seeing less and less reason to replace it. The things I don't like about the bike is the choppy shifting action. I discovered I do need a new cassette, so I will have that on Friday. I am wondering though about the derailer, I have an LX400.

All the high end modern derailers are 9 to 11 speed, so I am wondering if the current 7 speed derailers are any better than what I have currently. I am seeking advise, is it a worth while upgrade? If so, what one should I get? The bike is all Shimano, so I would like to stick with that unless there is a good reason for another brand.

I am also thinking of moving to drop handle bars, my impression is that the Shimano ST-A073 7 Speed Brake/Shift Lever Set 7 x 3 will work for my bike. Is this correct?

Sam

What is your projected budget?

Did you plan to change your rear wheel or rear hub?

Will this be a DIY changeover?

FYI. The 'new' 7-speed Shimano rear derailleurs are probably NOT better than your current rear derailleur ...

The significant difference between 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleurs & 7-speed Shimano rear derailleurs is the width of the pulleys ... that is, a 5-/6-/7-speed rear derailleur's cage will intrude on the spokes if you ever attempt to use it with an 8-/9-/10-speed Cassette ...

THAT IS, if you ever think that you will want an 8-speed or 'newer' drivetrain, then consider getting an 8-/9-speed SHIMANO rear derailleur.
FWIW. I'm all for Drop Bars on MTB frames when the intended riding will be on pavement ...

BUT, most MTB shifters will not fit on a Road handlebar because of the smaller clamp size ...

How great of an inconvenience THAT is depends on you & your frame of mind ...

You have three obvious options ...

1. use Drop Bar bar ends (~$25+)
  2. machine the clamp of a MTB shifter to the required, larger diameter (not really recommended)
  3. use Campagnolo 10-or-11-speed shifters (yes, they will work) ...
  • ​I recommend this last option since the shifters will be compatible with 7-/8-/9-speed Shimano Cassettes you won't need to change the front derailleur
  • you can get a new set for only ~$120 off of eBay (you can pay more, too, of course)

• an 8-/9-/10-speed Shimano/SRAM Cassette can be acquired with an 11t smallest Cog an 11t Cog is something which you will probably want as it means that you won't have to change the crankset unless you get the itch
  • you can short-stack a 9-speed on a "compact" Shimano Freehub body if the body uses a lockring

This will be a DIY changeover. I do not ever plan to go beyond 7-speed with this bike. I can say that because in the next year I want to get a really nice bike with Ultregra on it. I will use this bike as a 'learn how to work on' and ride with the family bike, so 7 speed should be more than enough for that:)

So I take it from your reply the Shimano ST-A073 7 x 3 shifters will NOT work for me? Why not? As far as handlebars, I am going to use the Salsa Woodchipper.

Sam

Quote: Originally Posted by scarleton .
This will be a DIY changeover. I do not ever plan to go beyond 7-speed with this bike. I can say that because in the next year I want to get a really nice bike with Ultregra on it. I will use this bike as a 'learn how to work on' and ride with the family bike, so 7 speed should be more than enough for that:)

So I take it from your reply the Shimano ST-A073 7 x 3 shifters will NOT work for me? Why not? As far as handlebars, I am going to use the Salsa Woodchipper.

Sam

My Bad!

The ST-A073 shifters will absolutely work for you as you had hoped prior to my earlier post in this thread which you can completely ignore except for the possible future consideration of a wheel which uses a Freehub & which will then allow you to use an 11-32 8-speed Cassette [you would just adjust the rear derailleur stops to access the 7-Cogs of your choice OR eliminate one of the intermediate Cogs if you get a rear wheel with a "compact" Freehub body] ...

• whether-or-not you will need a new front derailleur will be a trial-and-error exercise ...
  • you will need a new, OS stem to use the particular handlebars you will also need a "quill adapter" which will allow you to use the threadless stem with your fork
  • due to your size, I recommend that you opt for the wider of the two handlebars

Check this listing if you haven't already ...

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-A070-Shifters-7-Speed-Black/dp/B007Q4MM1I​

Again, sorry for my earlier, incorrect post in this thread.

So, the OS stem, need a new one you say. That is a bummer, I sort of like the yellow stem that the bike has now, but I take it that there is a difference in diameter between what I have and the Woodchopper. I don't think I would complain if the bars where a touch higher, any recommendations? What is the best way to size the stem to my body size?

Also, the link you provided to Amazon, that was for a Shimano ST-A070 Road Shifters 2 x 7-Speed Black Pair. Don't I need the 3x7, not the 2x7?

Sam

You may not need a new derailleur, but get a new chain in addition to the cassette. Much of the shift quality comes from the cassette.

I had an old 7x3 mountain bike that I rode for years and then stopped riding it and put it aside because of bad shifting and a few other issues. I ressurected it a few seasons ago - all it needed was a new cassette and chain. The derailleur and twist shifters sure show their age, but they work without complaint.

Quote:Originally Posted by "scarleton" .So, the OS stem, need a new one you say. That is a bummer, I sort of like the yellow stem that the bike has now, but I take it that there is a difference in diameter between what I have and the Woodchopper. I don't think I would complain if the bars where a touch higher, any recommendations? What is the best way to size the stem to my body size?

Also, the link you provided to Amazon, that was for a Shimano ST-A070 Road Shifters 2 x 7-Speed Black Pair. Don't I need the 3x7, not the 2x7?

If you are comfortable with the forward reach on your bike with the FLAT handlebar then you actually may want a shorter stem than your current stem to offset the added extension of the top of the brake hoods ...

So, estimating (from the obliquely angled pic which you previously posted) that your current stem's length is 120mm, I reckon that a 100mm-or-shorter stem is possibly the length you may want ...

• A Hi-Rise stem has a forward extension of about 90mm.
    REI used to carry them & still may (I haven't looked in years) ... less than $20 several years ago.
    Your LBS may carry them, too!?!

If your bike has a Triple which you want to continue to use, then you really MAY want to consider the fore mentioned Campagnolo shifters because most can handle a Triple without concern for matching the front derailleur AND they are capable of mating with a variety of otherwise Shimano drivetrains ...

YELLOW stem? Paint it with the appropriate rattle can colored paint of your choice ... bake it in your oven at 425º for about 15(?) minutes OR in a toaster oven for a couple of minutes to harden the finish ... TEST the technique on an old wrench or something else that is metal ... remember to prop the item to be painted ABOVE the used/disposable pie tin ... remember to remove the bolts and plug the threaded holes with wads of rolled up paper before painting ... remember to let it cool before handling!!!