To WSD, or not to WSD...that is the question!

GarKitty

Feb 6, 2008
Hey all,

I am looking to buy and have been looking into the Trek 7100...
I unfortunately have a very limited budget, and am not looking to ride competitively, although I will be riding the occasional 50mi...just for the experience. (Doing Rosarita-Ensenada in April....w00t!)

My question is if I should go for the WSD or not.
I'm 5'4" with an inseam of 78cm, so I'm pretty short.

....I know this is trivial, but I really just don't like how the WSDs look. What are the real benefits of going WSD instead of regular frame? Will it make a noticable, if any difference?

I know results vary from person to person, but I was just wondering if I could get some personal opinions.

Thank you guys so much, and I look forward to joining your board! :)

My best advice: try fitting on a WSD and see if you like it or not. Many women do not ride WSD, but some swear by them.

WSD bikes typically have a longer seat tube length in relation to the top tube length, because women typically have longer legs than men in relation to their torso length. You may or may not fall into that "typical" woman category. WSD bikes also come in smaller frame sizes than their standard counterparts, so that also forces some women to buy them. But at 5'-4", I don't believe frame size would be an issue for you.

At 5' 4" with a 78cm inseam you've got some longs legs. I am betting you will fit a WSD bike.