Toad stools

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Carl Barnet, May 11, 2004.

  1. Carl Barnet

    Carl Barnet Guest

    Hello

    Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools are
    edible but does anyone know of a way to identify which toads
    I should choose? I've heard that some can be poisionous,
    even if you only lick them on the back.

    Best regards Carl

    Tags:

  2. Diane Epps

    Diane Epps Guest

    "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello
    >
    > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools are
    > edible but does anyone know of a way to identify which
    > toads I should choose? I've heard that some can be
    > poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    >
    > Best regards Carl
    Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be edible
    but might make you ill as it is an individual thing. Many of
    the poisonous ones look very like those which are edible.
    Your best bet is to find someone who really knows what they
    are talking about to help you select. If you are not sure
    don't. Diane

  3. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools
    > > are edible but does anyone know of a way to identify
    > > which toads I should choose? I've heard that some can be
    > > poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    > >
    > > Best regards Carl
    > Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    > edible but might make you ill as it is an individual
    > thing. Many of the poisonous ones look
    very
    > like those which are edible. Your best bet is to find
    > someone who really knows what they are talking about to
    > help you select. If you are not sure don't. Diane

    Diane, I think you just got bit by a troll. Carl shouldn't
    worry about toad stools being poisonous. Trolls can eat
    anything - including stool.

    kili
    --
    "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." - - Homer
    Simpson

  4. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools
    > > are edible but does anyone know of a way to identify
    > > which toads I should choose? I've heard that some can be
    > > poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    > >
    > > Best regards Carl
    > Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    > edible but might make you ill as it is an individual
    > thing. Many of the poisonous ones look very like those
    > which are edible. Your best bet is to find someone who
    > really knows what they are talking about to help you
    > select. If you are not sure don't. Diane

    Just look for the ones that grow on cow patties and bruise
    blue... ;-)

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  5. Ilaboo

    Ilaboo Guest

    Carl Barnet wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools are
    > edible but does anyone know of a way to identify which
    > toads I should choose? I've heard that some can be
    > poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    >
    > Best regards Carl
    i suggest you spend some time learning about identifying
    mushrooms especially spore prints---there are mushrooms
    which will turn your liver into liquid and you will need
    emergency liver transplantation--very difficult---a laocal
    mycological society would really help you

    take care peter

  6. Carl Barnet

    Carl Barnet Guest

    "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools
    > > are edible but does anyone know of a way to identify
    > > which toads I should choose? I've heard that some can be
    > > poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    > >
    > > Best regards Carl
    > Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    > edible but might make you ill as it is an individual
    > thing. Many of the poisonous ones look very like those
    > which are edible. Your best bet is to find someone who
    > really knows what they are talking about to help you
    > select. If you are not sure don't. Diane

    Thanks Diane - someone also mentioned the fact that RED
    means danger with toad stools (fly agaric etc). Is there a
    definate 'yes-you-can-eat-it' colour, or does that not
    matter too much?

    Best regards Carl

  7. Diane Epps

    Diane Epps Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hello
    > > >
    > > > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools
    > > > are edible but does anyone know of a way to identify
    > > > which toads I should choose? I've heard that some can
    > > > be poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    > > >
    > > > Best regards Carl
    > > Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    > > edible but might
    make
    > > you ill as it is an individual thing. Many of the
    > > poisonous ones look
    > very
    > > like those which are edible. Your best bet is to find
    > > someone who
    really
    > > knows what they are talking about to help you select. If
    > > you are not
    sure
    > > don't. Diane
    > >

    > Diane, I think you just got bit by a troll. Carl shouldn't
    > worry about
    toad
    > stools being poisonous. Trolls can eat anything -
    > including stool.
    >
    > kili
    Thanks for pointing out that this may well be a troll but
    sometimes it is difficult to tell there are some very thick
    people out there!!! Diane

  8. Carl Barnet

    Carl Barnet Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Diane, I think you just got bit by a troll. Carl shouldn't
    > worry about toad stools being poisonous. Trolls can eat
    > anything - including stool.

    ... Er - what's a trolle? And how am I one?

    Rgds Carl

  9. On 12 May 2004 02:59:21 -0700, [email protected] (Carl Barnet)
    wrote:

    >"Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Hello
    >> >
    >> > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools
    >> > are edible but does anyone know of a way to identify
    >> > which toads I should choose? I've heard that some can
    >> > be poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    >> >
    >> > Best regards Carl
    >> Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    >> edible but might make you ill as it is an individual
    >> thing. Many of the poisonous ones look very like those
    >> which are edible. Your best bet is to find someone who
    >> really knows what they are talking about to help you
    >> select. If you are not sure don't. Diane
    >
    >Thanks Diane - someone also mentioned the fact that RED
    >means danger with toad stools (fly agaric etc). Is there a
    >definate 'yes-you-can-eat-it' colour, or does that not
    >matter too much?

    Even some Amanitas are edible and delicious. My wife and I
    had some from a trusted gatherer last year. Lovely raw as a
    salad. But so scary looking I wouldn't have walked near them
    in the woods.

    They were bright red and snow white.

    The mushroom man called them "Caesar's Amanita." He said
    Caligula was very fond of them, but was done in by a
    substitution.

    Some things the man brings in he will say must be cooked. I
    take his warnings and have never died from any of them. :)

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

  10. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Carl Barnet) wrote:

    > "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hello
    > > >
    > > > Someone once told me that certain kinds of toad stools
    > > > are edible but does anyone know of a way to identify
    > > > which toads I should choose? I've heard that some can
    > > > be poisionous, even if you only lick them on the back.
    > > >
    > > > Best regards Carl
    > > Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    > > edible but might make you ill as it is an individual
    > > thing. Many of the poisonous ones look very like those
    > > which are edible. Your best bet is to find someone who
    > > really knows what they are talking about to help you
    > > select. If you are not sure don't. Diane
    >
    > Thanks Diane - someone also mentioned the fact that RED
    > means danger with toad stools (fly agaric etc). Is there a
    > definate 'yes-you-can-eat-it' colour, or does that not
    > matter too much?
    >
    > Best regards Carl

    Uh, Amanita muscaria (aka Fly Agaric) is not a poisonous
    mushroom. It's a hallucinogenic mushroom. It won't kill you
    but it'll get you seriously stoned.

    It's also one of the few magic mushrooms that is easy
    to identify.

    As for edible/culinary mushrooms, there are one hell of a
    lot of look-alikes that are poisonous. Get yourself a good
    field guide, have some fun, then grow your own edibles from
    grocery store stock. I plan to start a batch of Oyster
    mushrooms this weekend.

    Mushrooms are easy to grow. ;-)

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  11. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    wrote:

    >someone also mentioned the fact that RED means danger with
    >toad stools (fly agaric etc). Is there a definate 'yes-you-can-eat-
    >it' colour, or does that not matter too much?

    Absolutely not. There are *no* safe wild mushrooms, nor any
    signal to identifying the poisonous ones if you don't know
    what you're doing. As others have posted, you *must* find an
    experienced person or several detailed identification
    guides, and you're *still* taking chances with some easily-
    confusable varieties. Search on "mushroom poisoning" to read
    some of the symptoms. It's pretty nasty. And before you ask,
    cooking or freezing or eating "just a little taste" makes no
    difference.

    'Toadstool' is just another name for 'mushroom,' BTW.

  12. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Carl Barnet) wrote:
    >
    > > "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:<[email protected]
    > > 1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > > > "Carl Barnet" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message news:[email protected]
    > > > gle.com...

    but
    on

    > > > Be very careful some fungi that are considered to be
    > > > edible but might
    make
    > > > you ill as it is an individual thing. Many of the
    > > > poisonous ones look
    very
    > > > like those which are edible. Your best bet is to find
    > > > someone who
    really
    > > > knows what they are talking about to help you select.
    > > > If you are not
    sure
    > > > don't. Diane
    > >
    > > Thanks Diane - someone also mentioned the fact that RED
    > > means danger with toad stools (fly agaric etc). Is there
    > > a definate 'yes-you-can-eat-it' colour, or does that not
    > > matter too much?
    > >
    > > Best regards Carl
    >
    > Uh, Amanita muscaria (aka Fly Agaric) is not a poisonous
    > mushroom. It's a hallucinogenic mushroom. It won't kill
    > you but it'll get you seriously stoned.
    >
    > It's also one of the few magic mushrooms that is easy to
    > identify.

    This is dangerously inaccurate information. The effects of
    this mushroom are quite variable and for most people it is
    poisonous. It is unlikely to kill you but will make you
    wish you had never been born. Nausea, vomiting, confusion,
    profuse sweating, loss of coordination, chills, convulsions
    - gee what fun! Some people also have hallucinations and it
    has in fact been used by people for "visions" and religious
    purposes. Some people have few or no effects. It would be a
    serious mistake to confuse this with the true
    hallucinogenic mushrooms such as Gymnopilus aeruginosus or
    G. spectabilis group.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  13. Rms

    Rms Guest

    Diane Epps wrote:

    > > > news:[email protected]
    > > > ..(???)

    > Thanks for pointing out that this may well be a troll but
    > sometimes it is difficult to tell there are some very
    > thick people out there!!!

    I can't believe no one caught the somewhat clever cross
    mixing of drug references. There are hallucinogenic fungi
    and one can also supposedly get off by licking the skin of
    cane toads. Definitely a troll but not so bad that one must
    track it down and spank it.

    I still have a "toad buster" bumper sticker on my old
    jeep. Damm toads all over the place in Queesland. Can't
    eat them. rms

  14. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:18:55 -0500, Katra
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mushrooms are easy to grow. ;-)

    Whip me up a batch of those fly agarics and I'll take a trip
    down there.

    -sw

  15. >Absolutely not. There are *no* safe wild mushrooms, nor any
    >signal to identifying the poisonous ones if you don't know
    >what you're doing.

    Well, I disagree with the first part..No safe wild
    mushrooms? Gee, after all those oyster mushrooms and morels
    I pick and eat every year, I guess I must have forgotten to
    drop dead :p

    but yes, it's a good idea to learn from someone who is an
    expert in the field about what is safe and what is not..and
    there are signs that you can look for (rings and so on)

    John

  16. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected]
    > > In article
    > > <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] (Carl Barnet) wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Diane Epps" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message news:<[email protected]
    > > > 1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...

    > but
    > on

    > make
    > very
    > really
    > sure
    > > >
    > > > Thanks Diane - someone also mentioned the fact that
    > > > RED means danger with toad stools (fly agaric etc). Is
    > > > there a definate 'yes-you-can-eat-it' colour, or does
    > > > that not matter too much?
    > > >
    > > > Best regards Carl
    > >
    > > Uh, Amanita muscaria (aka Fly Agaric) is not a poisonous
    > > mushroom. It's a hallucinogenic mushroom. It won't kill
    > > you but it'll get you seriously stoned.
    > >
    > > It's also one of the few magic mushrooms that is easy to
    > > identify.
    > >

    > This is dangerously inaccurate information. The effects of
    > this mushroom are quite variable and for most people it is
    > poisonous. It is unlikely to kill you but will make you
    > wish you had never been born. Nausea, vomiting, confusion,
    > profuse sweating, loss of coordination, chills,
    > convulsions - gee what fun!

    Ok, but there are many people that I've been
    corresponding with that use them on a regular basis and
    like them. :) Mostly in England. The effects that you
    mention are dosage related. Take too much and yeah, it'll
    make you sick as a dog...

    Personally, I'd avoid them, but the point is is that they
    are NOT considered a deadly poisonous mushroom.

    I suggest a LOT of reasearch before taking ANY kind of
    psychedelic vegatable. Peyote will make you hurl too, but
    that does not stop thousands of members of the native
    american church from using it. Ditto for Ayahuasca that has
    been used for over 5,000 years. The "purging" is considered
    part of the experience. No thanks! <G>

    > Some people also have hallucinations and it has in fact
    > been used by people for "visions" and religious purposes.

    For over 2,000 documented years...

    > Some people have few or no effects.

    Again, it usually depends on how much you use.

    > It would be a serious mistake to confuse this with the
    > true hallucinogenic mushrooms such as Gymnopilus
    > aeruginosus or G. spectabilis group.

    Stropharia has more species in it, including Psilocybe
    cubensis which is the most commonly used one along with
    "Liberty caps", Psilocybe semilanceata . Spectabilis is, at
    best, a very weak hallucinogen.

    Effects of the Psilocybin mushrooms are also dosage related.
    The active principle in Amanita muscaria and Amanita
    pantherina is Muscimol, not psilocybin.

    I find it interesting that the Amanita mushrooms are
    legal, and they are more dangerous, while the psilocybe
    mushrooms are far more safe (and far more fun) and yet are
    illegal. :p

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  17. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "rms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Thanks for pointing out that this may well be a troll
    > > but sometimes it
    is
    > > difficult to tell there are some very thick people out
    > > there!!!
    >
    > I can't believe no one caught the somewhat clever cross
    > mixing of drug references. There are hallucinogenic fungi
    > and one can also supposedly get off by licking the skin of
    > cane toads. Definitely a troll but not so bad that one
    > must track it down and spank it.

    Yet you did just that.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  18. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:18:55 -0500, Katra
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Mushrooms are easy to grow. ;-)
    >
    > Whip me up a batch of those fly agarics and I'll take a
    > trip down there.
    >
    > -sw

    They don't grow around here, and are symboitic with Birch
    and pine forests... :)

    I have however had an offer from a buddy over the pond to
    ship me some dried ones since they are legal.

    If you are serious, e-mail me and I'll ask him...

    For growing P. cubensis, find a cow pasture or buy a spore
    print, then go here:

    http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:6PUgQ1y7oqMJ:www.fungi-
    fun.com/fanati cus/birthday.htm+pf+cake+terrarium+photo&hl=en&ie=UTF-
    8

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  19. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:29:26 -0700, "John D. Misrahi"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Absolutely not. There are *no* safe wild mushrooms, nor
    >>any signal to identifying the poisonous ones if you don't
    >>know what you're doing.
    >
    >Well, I disagree with the first part..No safe wild
    >mushrooms? Gee, after all those oyster mushrooms and morels
    >I pick and eat every year, I guess I must have forgotten to
    >drop dead :p

    Please see the rest of the sentence. "If you don't know what
    you're doing," no wild mushroom is safe to eat. That is, if
    you can't reliably distinguish poisonous and non- varieties,
    stay out of the mushroom patch. I'm trying to save lives
    here, John. :)

  20. Telmgren

    Telmgren Guest

    "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 22 May 2004 13:04:34 GMT, [email protected]
    > (Julian9EHP) wrote:
    >
    > >>From: Frogleg [email protected]
    > >
    > >[ . . . ]
    > >
    > >>'Toadstool' is just another name for 'mushroom,' BTW.
    > >
    > >And is a convenient way to keep small children from
    > >eating them out of
    hand.
    > >Small people will eat _anything_ that looks attractive --
    > >those red
    berries
    > >*must* be edible, they look so pretty -- and some that
    > >don't. But
    telling a
    > >child "that's a toadstool" is like putting up a chain
    > >link fence around
    the
    > >object.
    >
    > Then why do kids eat bugs? And those jellybeans with the
    > revolting names from Harry Potter? :)

    I have to admit, I tried those jelly beans. Blech! Yuck,
    yuck, yucky!! Why would anyone eat those willingly more
    than once?!?