Toasters... crumbless?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jul 4, 2005.

  1. OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
    a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)

    Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.

    Anyone?

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    >
    > Anyone?

    I never see crumbs for under the Kitchen Aid toaster. They all have some
    provision, but I'm sure some brands perform better than others.

  3. Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    >>Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    >>even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    >>someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    >>brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    >>
    >>Anyone?
    >>

    > I never see crumbs for under the Kitchen Aid toaster. They all have some
    > provision, but I'm sure some brands perform better than others.

    The crumbs do not depend on the toaster, but on the bread you toast.
    A firm slice of Rye Bread is less likely to generate crumbs than an
    English Muffin.

    The crumbs have to go someplace. Pulling out the tray and wiping it
    clean is a matter of seconds and I really do not believe that a
    toaster exists that eliminates the need to do it.

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On 4 Jul 2005 08:18:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
    > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
    >
    > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    >
    > Anyone?

    I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
    toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it. We bought it
    several years ago and I think it was in the $50 - 60 range at that
    point.

  5. On Mon 04 Jul 2005 08:18:35a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
    > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
    >
    > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    >
    > Anyone?

    We have a fairly inexpensive Protor Silex 4-slice model and there is never
    any problem with crumbs falling through. They are completely contained in
    the slide out crumb tray. Perhaps you need to clean yours more often.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
    Tested on: 7/4/2005 2:02:02 PM

  6. Thanks for all the replies. We clean it weekly, but it still sheds a
    lot of crumbs from underneath. Guess the tray is just not very well
    contained. I will look into those options.

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 04 Jul 2005 08:18:35a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
    > > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
    > >
    > > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    > > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    > > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    > > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    > > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    > >
    > > Anyone?

    > We have a fairly inexpensive Protor Silex 4-slice model and there is never
    > any problem with crumbs falling through. They are completely contained in
    > the slide out crumb tray. Perhaps you need to clean yours more often.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    >
    > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    > Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
    > Tested on: 7/4/2005 2:02:02 PM

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Thanks for all the replies. We clean it weekly, but it still sheds a
    lot of crumbs from underneath. Guess the tray is just not very well
    contained. I will look into those options.

    How about putting a small aluminum tray under the toaster, or even
    just some aluminum foil. This way all you have to do is dump it out
    and replace it.

    nancy

  8. On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:58:27 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
    >toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it. We bought it
    >several years ago and I think it was in the $50 - 60 range at that
    >point.

    I have a Cuisinart toaster, as well. It doesn't "pop up" the toast, it
    *ejects* it, which is why you have more crumbs on it than under it!

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On 4 Jul 2005 08:18:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
    > > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
    > >
    > > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    > > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    > > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    > > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    > > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    > >
    > > Anyone?

    > I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
    > toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it.

    That's just a result of having trouble lining up with the slit.

    Sheldon

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for all the replies. We clean it weekly, but it still sheds a
    > lot of crumbs from underneath. Guess the tray is just not very well
    > contained. I will look into those options.
    >
    > How about putting a small aluminum tray under the toaster, or even
    > just some aluminum foil. This way all you have to do is dump it out
    > and replace it.
    >
    > nancy

    Excellent suggestion, Nancy!

    Jill

  11. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:11:03 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    > I have a Cuisinart toaster, as well. It doesn't "pop up" the toast, it
    > *ejects* it, which is why you have more crumbs on it than under it!

    LOL!!!! That's the TRUTH! It scares me at times.

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On 4 Jul 2005 16:49:12 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > > On 4 Jul 2005 08:18:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > > OK, so its an odd question for sure. But I figured this group would be
    > > > a great place to start (although Toast is not quite cooking ;^)
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, I am trying to find a Toaster with a more contained crumb tray.
    > > > Kinda tired of there always being a pile of crumbs under the toaster,
    > > > even though we clean it out (maybe not as often as we should). Surely
    > > > someone makes a toaster that doesnt drop crmbs! Went thru a lot of
    > > > brand model descriptions but not really specify this as a trait.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone?

    > > I won't make a claim of complete crumblessness, but our Cuisanart
    > > toaster seems to have more crumbs on it than under it.

    > That's just a result of having trouble lining up with the slit.

    HUH?