TOC stage 2

In article <jbOLf.1057$kp3.930@fed1read03>, Mark Fennell
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Mark just go hang in the VIP tent. They had free beer and about 20
> > plasma tvs.

> Yes RVD, that was the right call. Good food, free beer, live-coverage TV on
> one side of me and an unobstructed view of the finishing straight inside
> 100m-to-go on the other.
>
> The crowd size and energy at the finish was incredible and I'm hoping it
> will persuade Santa Barbara to support the race next year. The rumor is that
> SB has been the most difficult city ToC has worked with. Because of the
> race's success this year, ToC will be taking bids from cities for stages
> next year. SB better pay up.
>
> BTW, it needs to be said that occasional-rbr-poster Dave Towle is damn good
> at his job!
>
> Mark
> (ToC fan)

According to a friend, at the first meeting to discuss the stage 2
route several of the cities involved were asking how to get the race
routed around their city. A lot of the cities didn't want anything to
do with the race. The CHP officer in charge of the planning stood up
and told everyone "The governor wants this to happen so it is going to
happen". Hopefully the cities who were against the race this year have
been won over for next year.

In article <240220061815564607%[email protected]>,
Casey Kerrigan <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <jbOLf.1057$kp3.930@fed1read03>, Mark Fennell
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Mark just go hang in the VIP tent. They had free beer and about 20
> > > plasma tvs.

> > Yes RVD, that was the right call. Good food, free beer, live-coverage TV on
> > one side of me and an unobstructed view of the finishing straight inside
> > 100m-to-go on the other.
> >
> > The crowd size and energy at the finish was incredible and I'm hoping it
> > will persuade Santa Barbara to support the race next year. The rumor is that
> > SB has been the most difficult city ToC has worked with. Because of the
> > race's success this year, ToC will be taking bids from cities for stages
> > next year. SB better pay up.
> >
> > BTW, it needs to be said that occasional-rbr-poster Dave Towle is damn good
> > at his job!
> >
> > Mark
> > (ToC fan)
> >

> According to a friend, at the first meeting to discuss the stage 2
> route several of the cities involved were asking how to get the race
> routed around their city. A lot of the cities didn't want anything to
> do with the race. The CHP officer in charge of the planning stood up
> and told everyone "The governor wants this to happen so it is going to
> happen". Hopefully the cities who were against the race this year have
> been won over for next year.

Now I know how this race was produced.

--
Michael Press

Casey Kerrigan wrote:
> According to a friend, at the first meeting to discuss the stage 2
> route several of the cities involved were asking how to get the race
> routed around their city. A lot of the cities didn't want anything to
> do with the race. The CHP officer in charge of the planning stood up
> and told everyone "The governor wants this to happen so it is going to
> happen". Hopefully the cities who were against the race this year have
> been won over for next year.

Did any city mayors get terminated ?

Mark,

I have to say I was impressed with the TOC. I was extremely skeptical
when it was announced, but the effort was impressive. Glad you went and
caught it. Funny I wasn't even planning on going either, but changed my
mind at the last minute, and I am glad I did. Every single retired pro
I know said one the same thing. I wish they had an event like this when
I was racing. It was really good for a first year event.

RVD

Rik Van Diesel wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I have to say I was impressed with the TOC. I was extremely skeptical
> when it was announced, but the effort was impressive. Glad you went and
> caught it. Funny I wasn't even planning on going either, but changed my
> mind at the last minute, and I am glad I did. Every single retired pro
> I know said one the same thing. I wish they had an event like this when
> I was racing. It was really good for a first year event.

I don't live in Cali anymore so I didn't see any of it for real.
But from the coverage it sounded like a huge deal with lots
of spectators. Like probably a lot of people in RBR I was
kind of doubtful it would actually happen. Especially given
the usual forest of permissions and clearances you need to
get anything like a bike race done on a California road. I certainly
didn't expect them to have done such a job of promoting it that local
TV stations would be streaming helicopter footage on the internet.
So I am very impressed. Whatever juice the race organizers
had - an in with the Governator, clout with the media, I don't know -
it was the right stuff.

On 1 Mar 2006 17:21:43 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rik Van Diesel wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> I have to say I was impressed with the TOC. I was extremely skeptical
>> when it was announced, but the effort was impressive. Glad you went and
>> caught it. Funny I wasn't even planning on going either, but changed my
>> mind at the last minute, and I am glad I did. Every single retired pro
>> I know said one the same thing. I wish they had an event like this when
>> I was racing. It was really good for a first year event.

>I don't live in Cali anymore so I didn't see any of it for real.
>But from the coverage it sounded like a huge deal with lots
>of spectators. Like probably a lot of people in RBR I was
>kind of doubtful it would actually happen. Especially given
>the usual forest of permissions and clearances you need to
>get anything like a bike race done on a California road. I certainly
>didn't expect them to have done such a job of promoting it that local
>TV stations would be streaming helicopter footage on the internet.
>So I am very impressed. Whatever juice the race organizers
>had - an in with the Governator, clout with the media, I don't know -
>it was the right stuff.

The race was far above local and state expectations. The Mayor and
city of Santa Barbara were blown away by the size of the crowds and
spectacle of the event. Crowds from San Luis O to Santa Barbara (
Iwas in a Mavic car) were large in any area that was good for
spectating.

Dave Lettieri