Today! Chicken a la king

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    2 Tbs. butter
    4 Tbs. flour
    1 small minced onion
    2 carrots, diced
    1/2 cup green peas
    2 c. chicken stock or broth
    3/4 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1 clove garlic, minced

    In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium
    heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a separate pan, bring
    water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas, about 10 minutes. Drain the
    vegetables and set aside.

    Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk to
    the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper & thyme. Add
    the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.

    I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
    over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. On Mon 23 Jan 2006 05:00:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > 2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    > 2 Tbs. butter
    > 4 Tbs. flour
    > 1 small minced onion
    > 2 carrots, diced
    > 1/2 cup green peas
    > 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    > 3/4 c. milk
    > 1/2 tsp. salt
    > 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    > 1 clove garlic, minced
    >
    > In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium
    > heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a separate pan,
    > bring water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas, about 10 minutes.
    > Drain the vegetables and set aside.
    >
    > Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    > gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    > smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk
    > to the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper &
    > thyme. Add the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.
    >
    > I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like
    > it over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)
    >
    > Jill

    Ooh, I haven't had that in years and I love it. I think I'll try making a
    WW version of that tonight.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    > 2 Tbs. butter
    > 4 Tbs. flour
    > 1 small minced onion
    > 2 carrots, diced
    > 1/2 cup green peas
    > 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    > 3/4 c. milk
    > 1/2 tsp. salt
    > 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    > 1 clove garlic, minced
    >
    > In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium
    > heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a separate pan, bring
    > water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas, about 10 minutes. Drain the
    > vegetables and set aside.
    >
    > Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    > gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    > smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk to
    > the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper & thyme. Add
    > the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.
    >
    > I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
    > over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)
    >
    > Jill

    Looks wunnderful!

    I serve it over rice.
    --
    Om.

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    > gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    > smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk to
    > the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper & thyme. Add
    > the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.

    Good one. This is what I do with leftover roast or poached chicken
    when we don't feel like having fried rice. If you happen to have real
    cream in the fridge it makes it more luscious. The thyme is right on
    (though I add it earlier) and we like a pinch of nutmeg, too. -aem

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    >2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    > 2 Tbs. butter
    > 4 Tbs. flour
    > 1 small minced onion
    > 2 carrots, diced
    > 1/2 cup green peas
    > 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    > 3/4 c. milk
    > 1/2 tsp. salt
    > 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    > 1 clove garlic, minced
    >
    > I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
    > over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)

    When I was a kid, my mom made this and served it over buttered toast that
    was chopped up into tiny squares (not exactly toast points, but same idea).
    I took over the job of toast girl. It was a big job toasting and buttering
    and cutting enough toast for 7 of us. I used the toaster rather than the
    oven -- probably some folks would use the oven, but that's just the way Mom
    had me do it.

    I will have to make this for my kids -- it was my favorite dinner, and I
    think they'd like the toast pieces as much as I did (I will even buy *white
    bread* -- this is one time when white bread tastes better). Mom called it
    creamed chicken, though. Chicken a la king was the similar-but-scary
    version that they served us at school over egg noodles. If she had called
    it chicken a la king at home, I'm sure that none of us kids would have eaten
    it. :)

    Chris

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    OmMa wrote:
    > "jm" wrote:
    >
    > > 2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    > > 2 Tbs. butter
    > > 4 Tbs. flour
    > > 1 small minced onion
    > > 2 carrots, diced
    > > 1/2 cup green peas
    > > 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    > > 3/4 c. milk
    > > 1/2 tsp. salt
    > > 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > > 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    > > 1 clove garlic, minced
    > >
    > > In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium
    > > heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a separate pan, bring
    > > water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas, about 10 minutes. Drain the
    > > vegetables and set aside.
    > >
    > > Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    > > gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    > > smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk to
    > > the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper & thyme. Add
    > > the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.
    > >
    > > I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
    > > over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)

    > Looks wunnderful!
    >
    > I serve it over rice.

    Rice, egg noodles, either. When I'm lazy I to a la king with canned
    veg-all and canned tuna... I make the cream sauce... I refuse to stoop
    to canned condensed cream of celery.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmMa wrote:
    > > "jm" wrote:
    > >
    > > > 2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    > > > 2 Tbs. butter
    > > > 4 Tbs. flour
    > > > 1 small minced onion
    > > > 2 carrots, diced
    > > > 1/2 cup green peas
    > > > 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    > > > 3/4 c. milk
    > > > 1/2 tsp. salt
    > > > 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > > > 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    > > > 1 clove garlic, minced
    > > >
    > > > In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium
    > > > heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a separate pan,
    > > > bring
    > > > water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas, about 10 minutes. Drain
    > > > the
    > > > vegetables and set aside.
    > > >
    > > > Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    > > > gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    > > > smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk
    > > > the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper & thyme.
    > > > Add
    > > > the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.
    > > >
    > > > I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like
    > > > it
    > > > over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)

    > > Looks wunnderful!
    > >
    > > I serve it over rice.

    > Rice, egg noodles, either. When I'm lazy I to a la king with canned
    > veg-all and canned tuna... I make the cream sauce... I refuse to stoop
    > to canned condensed cream of celery.

    Lower sodium too. ;-)

    Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover cooked
    chicken and shred it up.

    Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.
    --
    Om.

  8. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:00:27 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
    >over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)

    I like chicken a la king served over biscuits. It would be the
    perfect dinner for this grey, drizzly day.

    Tara

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > "Sheldon" wrote:
    > >
    > > Rice, egg noodles, either. When I'm lazy I to a la king with canned
    > > veg-all and canned tuna... I make the cream sauce... I refuse to stoop
    > > to canned condensed cream of celery.
    > >

    > Lower sodium too. ;-)
    >
    > Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover cooked
    > chicken and shred it up.
    >
    > Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.

    I keep a stash of canned chicken, but I gotta tell ya, my cats like it
    much better than I do. I sometimes do a la canned baby shrimp. And I
    really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:
    http://veg-all.com

  10. Sheldon wrote:

    > > > Rice, egg noodles, either.

    This is interesting how people have eaten this dish over the years.
    I've always eaten it, though never cooked myself, over cornbread.

    Great topic!

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > "Sheldon" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Rice, egg noodles, either. When I'm lazy I to a la king with canned
    > > > veg-all and canned tuna... I make the cream sauce... I refuse to stoop
    > > > to canned condensed cream of celery.
    > > >

    > > Lower sodium too. ;-)
    > >
    > > Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover cooked
    > > chicken and shred it up.
    > >
    > > Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.

    > I keep a stash of canned chicken, but I gotta tell ya, my cats like it
    > much better than I do. I sometimes do a la canned baby shrimp. And I
    > really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:
    > http://veg-all.com

    Veg-all is handy for a lot of things.
    Served as is with a bit of melted butter as a side dish, soups, stews,
    etc.

    If I open a can of tuna, I get nearly stampeded by the kitties. ;-)

    I pour off the juice into a large shallow pan for them and let them have
    at it.
    --
    Om.

  12. aem

    aem Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > [snip] And I really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:

    > Veg-all is handy for a lot of things.
    > Served as is with a bit of melted butter as a side dish, soups, stews, etc.

    Friends that lived on a beach in Baja California used to stir rice
    around in a little oil for a couple of minutes, then add water and a
    small can of Veg-all, cover, simmer. Presto, Mexican rice. -aem

  13. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:02:22 GMT, Chris wrote:

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > When I was a kid, my mom made this and served it over buttered toast that
    > was chopped up into tiny squares (not exactly toast points, but same idea).
    > I took over the job of toast girl. It was a big job toasting and buttering
    > and cutting enough toast for 7 of us. I used the toaster rather than the
    > oven -- probably some folks would use the oven, but that's just the way Mom
    > had me do it.
    >
    > I will have to make this for my kids -- it was my favorite dinner, and I
    > think they'd like the toast pieces as much as I did (I will even buy *white
    > bread* -- this is one time when white bread tastes better). Mom called it
    > creamed chicken, though. Chicken a la king was the similar-but-scary
    > version that they served us at school over egg noodles. If she had called
    > it chicken a la king at home, I'm sure that none of us kids would have eaten
    > it. :)

    Mmmmm. Sounds good. I like the over toast idea. My mom made chicken
    ala king out of a can and it was really gross.

  14. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sf wrote:

    > Mmmmm. Sounds good. I like the over toast idea. My mom made chicken
    > ala king out of a can and it was really gross.
    > --
    >
    > Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    oh god, same here. I hated it. I gag just thinking about it. She would also
    add a jar of pimientos to it. I hated those as well.

    God, this thread has brought back my gag reflex.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > OmMa wrote:
    >> "jm" wrote:
    >>
    >>> 2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    >>> 2 Tbs. butter
    >>> 4 Tbs. flour
    >>> 1 small minced onion
    >>> 2 carrots, diced
    >>> 1/2 cup green peas
    >>> 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    >>> 3/4 c. milk
    >>> 1/2 tsp. salt
    >>> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    >>> 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    >>> 1 clove garlic, minced
    >>>
    >>> In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over
    >>> medium heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a
    >>> separate pan, bring water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas,
    >>> about 10 minutes. Drain the vegetables and set aside.
    >>>
    >>> Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    >>> gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring
    >>> until smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes.
    >>> Slowly add milk to the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season
    >>> with salt, pepper & thyme. Add the vegetables and the cooked
    >>> chicken and heat through.
    >>>
    >>> I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks
    >>> like it over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your
    >>> boat :)

    >> Looks wunnderful!
    >>
    >> I serve it over rice.

    > Rice, egg noodles, either. When I'm lazy I to a la king with canned
    > veg-all and canned tuna... I make the cream sauce... I refuse to stoop
    > to canned condensed cream of celery.

    If you don't have leftover chicken to dice/shred, use canned chicken breast
    meat. And nowhere did I mention condensed cream of celery soup ;) Veg-all
    is a staple in my pantry because this is earthquake/tornado country. I keep
    a lot of canned stuff on hand in case of power outages.

    Jill

  16. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 17:44:50 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >> "Sheldon" wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Rice, egg noodles, either. When I'm lazy I to a la king with canned
    >> > veg-all and canned tuna... I make the cream sauce... I refuse to stoop
    >> > to canned condensed cream of celery.
    >> >

    >> Lower sodium too. ;-)
    >>
    >> Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover cooked
    >> chicken and shred it up.
    >>
    >> Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.

    >I keep a stash of canned chicken, but I gotta tell ya, my cats like it
    >much better than I do. I sometimes do a la canned baby shrimp. And I
    >really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:
    >http://veg-all.com

    Forgive my ignorance

    What is canned chicken? Is it chicken meat, preserved? If so, what is
    it preserved in?

    Enquiring minds need to know, but don't necessarily want to eat it.

    Kathy in NZ

  17. Barry Smyth

    Barry Smyth Guest

  18. -L.

    -L. Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > 2 c. cooked chicken, diced
    > 2 Tbs. butter
    > 4 Tbs. flour
    > 1 small minced onion
    > 2 carrots, diced
    > 1/2 cup green peas
    > 2 c. chicken stock or broth
    > 3/4 c. milk
    > 1/2 tsp. salt
    > 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    > 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
    > 1 clove garlic, minced
    >
    > In a large heavy saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium
    > heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent. In a separate pan, bring
    > water to a boil to cook the carrots and peas, about 10 minutes. Drain the
    > vegetables and set aside.
    >
    > Push the sauteed onions to the side of the pan and stir in the flour
    > gradually to make a paste Add the stock or broth slowly, stirring until
    > smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes. Slowly add milk to
    > the sauce (a whisk is helpful here). Season with salt, pepper & thyme. Add
    > the vegetables and the cooked chicken and heat through.
    >
    > I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
    > over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)
    >
    > Jill

    That's pretty much my chicken noodles but I don't put in peas or
    carrots. I thought "a la King" indicated a creamier sauce - possibly
    with cream or whole milk added...? The weird thing is, I LOVED the
    Chicken a la King we got in the Highschool cafeteria - I don't know
    what the heck they did but man that was some good food. (We had good
    cooks - all older black women from the South).

    -L.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Kathy in NZ) wrote:

    > On 23 Jan 2006 17:44:50 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > >> Lower sodium too. ;-)
    > >>
    > >> Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover cooked
    > >> chicken and shred it up.
    > >>
    > >> Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.

    > >I keep a stash of canned chicken, but I gotta tell ya, my cats like it
    > >much better than I do. I sometimes do a la canned baby shrimp. And I
    > >really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:
    > >http://veg-all.com
    > >

    > Forgive my ignorance
    >
    > What is canned chicken? Is it chicken meat, preserved? If so, what is
    > it preserved in?
    >
    > Enquiring minds need to know, but don't necessarily want to eat it.
    >
    > Kathy in NZ

    It's canned chicken meat, usually in salted chicken broth.

    Same thing as canned tuna, only it's dead bird, not dead fish. ;-)
    --
    Om.