Today! Chicken a la king

Kathy in NZ wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2006 17:44:50 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>>Lower sodium too. ;-)
>>>
>>>Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover cooked
>>>chicken and shred it up.
>>>
>>>Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.

>>I keep a stash of canned chicken, but I gotta tell ya, my cats like it
>>much better than I do. I sometimes do a la canned baby shrimp. And I
>>really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:
>>http://veg-all.com
>>

> Forgive my ignorance
>
> What is canned chicken? Is it chicken meat, preserved? If so, what is
> it preserved in?
>
> Enquiring minds need to know, but don't necessarily want to eat it.
>
> Kathy in NZ

Canned chicken comes in small tins similar to tuna. It is usually
mixted chicken pieces in water. It is good for making chicken salad,
sandwiches, appetizers as well as a useful emergency food item. You can
make a better quality of canned chicken if you use chicken breasts,
broth, and home can it. Here's a link for home canning chicken or rabbit.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:55:14 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yeah, veg-all will work

AAAAAAhhhh! Not veg-all! Ewwwww!

Ahem, um, I mean, I don't care for Veg-All very much.

serene, shuddering

Joan wrote about chicken a la king:

> This is interesting how people have eaten this dish over the years.
> I've always eaten it, though never cooked myself, over cornbread.

One school I attended served chicken a la king over waffles for lunch.

Bob

Heather wrote:

> God, this thread has brought back my gag reflex.

You're able to get rid of your gag reflex? You sound like my kinda woman!
;-)

Bob

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Joan wrote about chicken a la king:
>
> > This is interesting how people have eaten this dish over the years.
> > I've always eaten it, though never cooked myself, over cornbread.

> One school I attended served chicken a la king over waffles for lunch.
>
> Bob

I was at ex-b/f's house one time and for supper he had made a chicken
dish, not a la king, but something in a sort of cream sauce. They
served it over waffles and I thought how gross can you get! But I got
to thinking about it, it's just bread that's been cooked in a waffle
iron. Anyway, it was surprisingly good! I drew the line at sprinkling
powdered sugar over the chicken and waffles, though. They seemed to
relish this dish with the powdered sugar.

On Wed 25 Jan 2006 03:05:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
itsjoannotjoann?

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Joan wrote about chicken a la king:
>>
>> > This is interesting how people have eaten this dish over the years.
>> > I've always eaten it, though never cooked myself, over cornbread.

>> One school I attended served chicken a la king over waffles for lunch.
>>
>> Bob

> I was at ex-b/f's house one time and for supper he had made a chicken
> dish, not a la king, but something in a sort of cream sauce. They
> served it over waffles and I thought how gross can you get! But I got
> to thinking about it, it's just bread that's been cooked in a waffle
> iron. Anyway, it was surprisingly good! I drew the line at sprinkling
> powdered sugar over the chicken and waffles, though. They seemed to
> relish this dish with the powdered sugar.

When I was growing up in the 1950s, my mom used to serve cream chicken or
chicken a la king over waffles. Seems like back then that waffles were
used for much more than breakfast. My favorites were her dessert waffles,
though, chocolate and gingerbread, always served with ice cream.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> I was at ex-b/f's house one time and for supper he had made a chicken
> dish, not a la king, but something in a sort of cream sauce. They
> served it over waffles and I thought how gross can you get! But I got
> to thinking about it, it's just bread that's been cooked in a waffle
> iron. Anyway, it was surprisingly good! I drew the line at sprinkling
> powdered sugar over the chicken and waffles, though. They seemed to
> relish this dish with the powdered sugar.

Chicken and waffles is common in PA Dutch country I seem to recall? It
is also served in a very well known Soul Food place in Atlanta.

On Wed 25 Jan 2006 03:25:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Goomba38?

> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> I was at ex-b/f's house one time and for supper he had made a chicken
>> dish, not a la king, but something in a sort of cream sauce. They
>> served it over waffles and I thought how gross can you get! But I got
>> to thinking about it, it's just bread that's been cooked in a waffle
>> iron. Anyway, it was surprisingly good! I drew the line at sprinkling
>> powdered sugar over the chicken and waffles, though. They seemed to
>> relish this dish with the powdered sugar.
>>

> Chicken and waffles is common in PA Dutch country I seem to recall? It
> is also served in a very well known Soul Food place in Atlanta.

I thought the soul food version was fried chicken and waffles.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Goomba38 wrote:

> Chicken and waffles is common in PA Dutch country I seem to recall? It
> is also served in a very well known Soul Food place in Atlanta.

Yup, this was in PA Dutch country. Wonder where the powdered sugar
idea came from?

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Heather wrote:
>
>> God, this thread has brought back my gag reflex.

> You're able to get rid of your gag reflex? You sound like my kinda woman!
> ;-)
>
> Bob

I keep David around because he can lift things and reach the stuff on the top
shelf.

he has his reasons for keeping me around as well...

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> Lower sodium too. ;-)
>>>
>>> Yeah, veg-all will work but I'd use canned chicken or leftover
>>> cooked chicken and shred it up.
>>>
>>> Making a cream sauce is not difficult so I can see your point.

>> I keep a stash of canned chicken, but I gotta tell ya, my cats like
>> it much better than I do. I sometimes do a la canned baby shrimp.
>> And I really like veg-all... it's been around almost forever:
>> http://veg-all.com
>>

> Veg-all is handy for a lot of things.
> Served as is with a bit of melted butter as a side dish, soups, stews,
> etc.
>
> If I open a can of tuna, I get nearly stampeded by the kitties. ;-)
>
> I pour off the juice into a large shallow pan for them and let them
> have
> at it.

Persia turns her nose up at tuna. When I was adopted by her the vet gave me
worm pills "just in case" and told me to hide them in bits of canned tuna.
She sniffed it and turned her nose up. Nope, no tuna. Since her bladder
surgery in 2004 she can only eat prescription cat food and she *begs* me for
it. You'd think she's starving half the time. We know better, don't we? ;)

Jill

aem wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> [snip] And I really like veg-all... it's been around almost
>>> forever:

>> Veg-all is handy for a lot of things.
>> Served as is with a bit of melted butter as a side dish, soups,
>> stews, etc.

> Friends that lived on a beach in Baja California used to stir rice
> around in a little oil for a couple of minutes, then add water and a
> small can of Veg-all, cover, simmer. Presto, Mexican rice. -aem

I always wondered how they made that stuff for frozen TV dinners! LOL

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Persia turns her nose up at tuna. When I was adopted by her the vet gave me
> worm pills "just in case" and told me to hide them in bits of canned tuna.
> She sniffed it and turned her nose up. Nope, no tuna. Since her bladder
> surgery in 2004 she can only eat prescription cat food and she *begs* me for
> it. You'd think she's starving half the time. We know better, don't we? ;)
>
> Jill

<lol>
They always act like they are starving to death.....

and starved for petting, right? ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:00:27 -0600, I needed a babel fish to
understand "jmcquown" <[email protected]> :
>I like this served over Pepperidge Farm pattie shells. Some folks like it
>over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Whatever floats your boat :)
>
>Jill

I am sure this is very good, and after reading the recipe I think I
may try it... but just the title gives me the heebejeebeis...
When you eat Chiken a la king the first time in an MRE (military food)
its not so bad, but when your in the field and you endup eating it
numerous times... it becomes one of the worst possible selections...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke