Today I Has Been ...

Mark W

Guest
mostly
a) having man-flu :O(

and

b) tidying up the station hack.

Nice new tyres, chain in the old white spirit cocktail shaker jamjar,
a T-Cutting and vaselining of the rims, a good grease up and an oily
rag wipedown. Considering she is left outside at the Station in all
weathers, can't help thinking the old girl spruced up rather well (to
be honest I think she's rather too good for the purpose shes being put
to). See also : http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html

Piccies :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73919856@N00/sets/72157603572473286/

Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
no play, at some time I am going to have to service it. Apparently it
is a very early version of cartridge bb - last piccy, and pratically
unobtainable. Any ideas a) how to service it, b) where to get any bits
should they be required ?

Mark W wrote:
> mostly
> a) having man-flu :O(
>
> and
>
> b) tidying up the station hack.
>
> Nice new tyres, chain in the old white spirit cocktail shaker jamjar,
> a T-Cutting and vaselining of the rims, a good grease up and an oily
> rag wipedown. Considering she is left outside at the Station in all
> weathers, can't help thinking the old girl spruced up rather well (to
> be honest I think she's rather too good for the purpose shes being put
> to). See also : http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html
>
> Piccies :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73919856@N00/sets/72157603572473286/
>
> Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
> no play, at some time I am going to have to service it. Apparently it
> is a very early version of cartridge bb - last piccy, and pratically
> unobtainable. Any ideas a) how to service it, b) where to get any bits
> should they be required ?

ordinary (6003?) cartridge bearings , as long as the spindle doesn't
break over the circlip groove you can just replace them, they are
pressfitted in the shell.
If you want something fancy, have the shell tapped for Italian thread

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Dec 29, 4:07�pm, Mark W <[email protected]> wrote:
> mostly
> a) having man-flu :O(
>
> and
>
> b) tidying up the station hack.
>
> Nice new tyres, chain in the old white spirit cocktail shaker jamjar,
> a T-Cutting and vaselining of the rims, a good grease up and an oily
> rag wipedown. Considering she is left outside at the Station in all
> weathers, can't help thinking the old girl spruced up rather well (to
> be honest I think she's rather too good for the purpose shes being put
> to). See also :http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html
>
> Piccies :http://www.flickr.com/photos/73919856@N00/sets/72157603572473286/
>
> Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
> no play, at some time I am going to have to service it. Apparently it
> is a very early version of cartridge bb - last piccy, and pratically
> unobtainable. Any ideas a) how to service it, b) where to get any bits
> should they be required ?

Mark, I cannot quite make out that BB but if you try South Coast Bikes
( www.southcoastbikes.co.uk ) they should be able to help. SCB will
give you a straight answer one way or the other.

"Mark W" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
> no play, at some time I am going to have to service it. Apparently it
> is a very early version of cartridge bb - last piccy, and pratically
> unobtainable. Any ideas a) how to service it, b) where to get any bits
> should they be required ?

The bearing looks like a standard dust shielded ball race. Replacements are
easy to obtain over the counter at any engineering supplies. You'll need to
know the inner and outer diameter of the bearing surfaces. Without being
able to see the other side of your bottom bracket I'm sticking my neck out
and guessing at the removal procedure.

You'll need to remove the cranks from the crank shaft.

Remove the circlips from the crankshaft.

If the crankshaft pushes through with judicious tapping of a mallet or
hammer on a block of wood on the axle end - all well and good! IF NOT,
STOP! A MAJOR RETHINK IS NEEDED!!

Now for the removal of the bearings which are likely to be a tolerance fit.

You'll need a slide hammer to extract the bearings or improvise a method of
pushing/pulling them out of the bottom bracket shell.

Replace the bearings by laying the new bearings flat on the bottom bracket
shell and use the removed bearings as a protector when forcing the
replacements in place with a mallet.

The actual bearing removal and replacement mmethos does work, I used to do
it with the wheel bearings of motorcycles. Sometimes it was possible to
force the first bearin out using a smaller diameter false shaft and a hammer
from the opposite side i.e. through the opposite bearing. Sliding hammers
are expensive at around £60 so it might be worthwhile seeking out a friendly
garage or tool hire shop.

Hope that helps

vernon wrote:
> "Mark W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
>> no play, at some time I am going to have to service it. Apparently it
>> is a very early version of cartridge bb - last piccy, and pratically
>> unobtainable. Any ideas a) how to service it, b) where to get any bits
>> should they be required ?

> The bearing looks like a standard dust shielded ball race. Replacements are
> easy to obtain over the counter at any engineering supplies. You'll need to
> know the inner and outer diameter of the bearing surfaces. Without being
> able to see the other side of your bottom bracket I'm sticking my neck out
> and guessing at the removal procedure.
>
> You'll need to remove the cranks from the crank shaft.
>
> Remove the circlips from the crankshaft.
>
> If the crankshaft pushes through with judicious tapping of a mallet or
> hammer on a block of wood on the axle end - all well and good! IF NOT,
> STOP! A MAJOR RETHINK IS NEEDED!!

Either one bearing goes out with the axle, or the axle goes through
leaving the bearings in place. Either situation is fine

> Now for the removal of the bearings which are likely to be a tolerance fit.
>
> You'll need a slide hammer to extract the bearings or improvise a method of
> pushing/pulling them out of the bottom bracket shell.

expanding bolt and a drift through the other end

--

Mark W wrote:

> mostly
> a) having man-flu :O(

Sympathy. I've had a horrible cold since Christmas eve, and haven't felt up
to doing anything. What a way to spend a holiday!

> Piccies :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73919856@N00/sets/72157603572473286/
>
> Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
> no play, at some time I am going to have to service it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. When it is broke, St Sheldon says they're
press-fit cartridge bearings - so take off the circlips, howk out the old
bearings, hie thee to thy nearest motor factors and say, "'ere, mate, got
any like these?"

They're almost certain to be some sort of standard bearing. The thing to be
careful of is the axle itself - if that gets damaged you'd need to get a
new one fabricated using the old one as a model, and while any decent
jobbing engineering shop could do it it wouldn't come cheap.

;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html>

> Mark W wrote:
>
>> mostly
>> a) having man-flu :O(

> Sympathy. I've had a horrible cold since Christmas eve, and haven't felt
> up
> to doing anything. What a way to spend a holiday!

There's lots of nasty cold bugs going around. I've lost four weekends'
worth of cycling since October and I'll be venturing out tomorrow for my
first 100km ride since early November.

> If it ain't broke don't fix it. When it is broke, St Sheldon says they're
> press-fit cartridge bearings - so take off the circlips, howk out the old
> bearings, hie thee to thy nearest motor factors and say, "'ere, mate, got
> any like these?"

> They're almost certain to be some sort of standard bearing. The thing to
> be
> careful of is the axle itself - if that gets damaged you'd need to get a
> new one fabricated using the old one as a model, and while any decent
> jobbing engineering shop could do it it wouldn't come cheap.

An engineering/bearing supplier is a better bet as their prices are lower
than motor factors. At leaast they were when I replaced motor cycle wheel
bearings. FWIW engineering/transmission engineering places also used to be
a cheaper source of chain than motorcycle dealers. I used to buy it in
bulk.

Getting back to the replacement job. It's worthwhile getting replacement
circlips while you are at it. It's good practise to replace circlips with
new ones.

Mark W wrote:
> mostly
> a) having man-flu :O(
>
> and
>
> b) tidying up the station hack.
>
> Nice new tyres, chain in the old white spirit cocktail shaker jamjar,
> a T-Cutting and vaselining of the rims, a good grease up and an oily
> rag wipedown. Considering she is left outside at the Station in all
> weathers, can't help thinking the old girl spruced up rather well (to
> be honest I think she's rather too good for the purpose shes being put
> to). See also : http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html
>
> Piccies :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73919856@N00/sets/72157603572473286/

hope those aren't the original forks

> Also, whilst the bottom bracket is currently smooth turning, and has
> no play, at some time I am going to have to service it. Apparently it
> is a very early version of cartridge bb - last piccy, and pratically
> unobtainable. Any ideas a) how to service it, b) where to get any bits
> should they be required ?

see the link from the Sheldon page you quoted;
http://bikecult.com/works/parts/bbViscount.html
--

Martin Bulmer

They appear to be steel - or at least a magnet sticks very well :O)

Thanks to all that have replied re the bearings - I think I will leave
well alone for the time being as they appear to be pretty well sealed
and hence not too prone to grease contamination.

In article <[email protected]>, Martin Bulmer
[email protected] says...

> hope those aren't the original forks

The Viscount "death fork" was polished alloy with an internal-crown type
design (actually 1-piece cast legs and crown that was pressed and pinned
into a steel steerer), so a quick visual inspection confirms that the OP
doesn't have them.

Mark W wrote:
> They appear to be steel - or at least a magnet sticks very well :O)
>
> Thanks to all that have replied re the bearings - I think I will leave
> well alone for the time being as they appear to be pretty well sealed
> and hence not too prone to grease contamination.

if you want to ;ube the bearings, try drilling a 1.5mm hole in the dust
seal cover and inject some grease