Today was Cycling Evaluation Day in the Tri program.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Not outside real world, since it was 3 degrees with blowing snow. On the spin cycles in the cycle studio. Rather interesting, I was surprised at how many people doing beginning triathlon program have little or not cycling experience - of the roughly 20 people at this workshop (out of about 50 total taking the course), at least half said they had little or no experience, and about 4 or 5 didn't even own a bike. About the same number, roughly 5, said they had either very old or very cheap, mass market bikes. And, there were about 5 "bike geeks" like myself, into it with high-end bikes, which was pretty cool - we're the carbon fiber club!

The evaluation was an hour on the spin cycle, with a simulated course projected on the video screens. Unfortunately, these stupid things have no data measurement of any kind, so at various times we were asked to count cadence and see what zones we were on on heart rate monitors. The last 10 minutes was a simulated climb of progressive difficulty.

So, did I ace it? I held my own. Which wasn't bad after spending almost an hour in the pool and then spending an hour lifting weights and doing squats with my PT.

The rest of the program was the manager of a local bike shop giving a crash-course in cycling 101. Nothing earth-shattering there on his part. I'm kind of disgustingly amused by people who don't want to buy basics like helmets or tri-specific biking shorts. Fine, but WTF are you taking this program if you're not going to do what you need to do?

Now, am I ready for this? Can I ride a whole 12.5 miles on a bike?
wink.png
Yeah, I may have that one in the bag.
big-smile.png

I thought of you the other day...my B-I-L just got home from his second round of vein stripping. He's doing well...no major pain or problems.

I'm glad to hear you're on some kind of bike! We had the same weather down here today. 4° this morning and another inch of "Let's ride the rollers and trainer".

I'll bet that pool felt good on a day like today!

MODS -- I meant to post this in Triathlon, please move if possible, TIA

Campy - yeah, I'm pretty well recovered from that - the hard, calcified blood clots where they removed veins are slowly being reabsorbed. I'm really happy with the results, it has helped a lot. I have the left leg to go, but the Doc decided to wait until summer, which is fine with me, my right was much worse than the left, so it's not a big deal to wait.

This is a new adventure for me - coming from not even knowing how to swim 7 months ago to not completely sucking isn't too bad.

Yeah, us here in the northern US - worst winter in decades, with no end in sight. Kinda sucks, this was the winter I was going to put in a lot of time outdoors, but it just isn't realistic in subzero weather, simply too dangerous. At least I can hit the gym any time, it's a 24/7 facility.

Quote by MBB
"...worst winter in decades, with no end in sight."

Damned Global Warming Impending Ice Age©!

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy
Rather interesting, I was surprised at how many people doing beginning triathlon program have little or not cycling experience - of the roughly 20 people at this workshop (out of about 50 total taking the course), at least half said they had little or no experience, and about 4 or 5 didn't even own a bike. About the same number, roughly 5, said they had either very old or very cheap, mass market bikes. And, there were about 5 "bike geeks" like myself, into it with high-end bikes, which was pretty cool - we're the carbon fiber club!
That's the stuff... The Noobs feel like they are "Doing it like the Pro's!" and the "Pro's" feel like... well.. like Pro's!
big-smile.png

Its all fun and games and then...

This guy arrives in a Gold - Plated CX Titanium commuter bike and asks to enrol too
big-smile.png
:

A person of the type:
big-smile.png

"Il Vaffanculo Competitivo"

After that it goes all "south"...
big-smile.png

Ah, even if noobs, this is a very amateur event, so it doesn't really matter. I expect to see a number of people riding $200 Wal-Mart specials. Well, I shouldn't criticize, the vast majority of residents of Michigan are overweight or obese, one of the highest rates in the US, which is an overweight nation. At least all of these folks are not sitting on the couch with a bucket of KFC watching Honey Booboo. Ok, I may laugh just a little at them!

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

At least all of these folks are not sitting on the couch with a bucket of KFC watching Honey Booboo.
Honey Booboo is scary...

Brick Workouts - the theory is the transition between riding and running is stressful because each works different muscles. Ok, when does that happen? - because I have no issues doing the 2 or 3 mike runs right after 8-12 mile rides on a spin bike. Now, by round 4 I am tired all over, that is a given. Maybe I'm just lucky, or my high pain threshold is working for me.

I do a few short tris each season and do essentially no run training, due to a bad knee and a full ride schedule. In a race the T2 (bike to run) transition is pretty tough because I go all out on the bike. The legs just don't want to respond after the transition, after a 1/2 mile or so they feel OK.

I suppose by practicing brick workouts you can make this transition a little less painful. You won't really feel the pain in a brick though unless you are going race pace.

In my spin classes, I am the only semi-competitive cyclist besides the instructor. Some of the die hards don't even ride a real bike, they "ride" indoors year round - I do not understand that at all. They have different goals so who am I to judge.

Also don't judge the athlete by their equipment. There are plenty of folks who show up on state of the art, high dollar equipment that plod along at a leisurely pace. Others can make just about anything with wheels go fast - the bike is only a small part of the speed equation.