Today's cycling letter in local rag.

"He then describes how the huge number of London cyclists have become a
great problem in recent years."

I thought that the larger number of cars would have been a bigger
problem, and that more cyclists means fewer cars so a smaller problem.

Oh well!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tony Raven wrote:

> I'm puzzled by his suggestion that motorists who refuse to follow the
> Highway Code should have their bikes destroyed ;-)

But he draws the line at penalising drivers who support charity events.
Would it be OK to ride on the pavement, through red lights and without
a bell if you've got a sustrans sticker?

After a lot of deliberation, I elected to ride the 120km Round 'tarn BP
Audax thinking that it would be easier than the Seasons of Mist
etc.....wrong!

I was out of time by the first 13km info control and never closed the gap by
the second and third controls. I was 25 minutes down at 66km but was
determined to finish. I'd been out to Langsett via lots of long drags, got
to the Yorkshire Sculpture park, admired the scenery throughout the ride but
was relieved when my freehub locked up just after crossing the M1 at Woolley
Services. It was the hilliest non-AAA rated BP that I've ever been on.

I was counting on completion as I've only three more BPs to complete to
qualify for a 2000km award this season. I was relieved that the exertion had
come to an end. I was pleased that I'd got so far and not collapsed. I was
puzzled at first when trying to diagnose the problem.

A day of mixed emotions and I'll be back for it next year.

Looks like I'll have to slot in a permanent by the end of the month....

I just love the breathtakingly sexist and ageist comment by "Bilton
Resident":
"Our wives and children go to Asda and the doctor's surgery"

Images of an Alf Garnett type driving a Morris Marina aside,
it is a rather sad indictment of the status that cycling is perceived to
have. Its OK for children or the "little woman" to use a pushbike,
but Oh Lord No, wouldn't be seen dead on one.

However Bilton Resident does have a point - as we have commented many
times on here, Paul Boateng said when the pavement cycling fixed penalties
were introduced these were NOT intended to target people who are
intimidated off the roads. But the Daily Mail type wants to gleefully
ignore this, and call down the wrath of the law on anyone with the
temerity to cycle on the footpath, whilst they roar past in the Jag in a
cloud of Brylcreem and cigar smoke.

And before anyone says it, many, many people commute on carbon fibre bikes
worth more than most cars.

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:22:13 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> However Bilton Resident does have a point - as we have commented many
> times on here, Paul Boateng said when the pavement cycling fixed penalties
> were introduced these were NOT intended to target people who are
> intimidated off the roads.

Quick Google turns up this rather useful page:

http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:22:13 +0100 someone who may be John Hearns
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>"Our wives and children go to Asda and the doctor's surgery"

It reminded me of the infamous comment by some legal bod at the Lady
Chatterly's Lover trial, "is this the sort of book you would want
your wife or servant to read?"

>Paul Boateng said when the pavement cycling fixed penalties
>were introduced these were NOT intended to target people who are
>intimidated off the roads.

He was/is just a party politician and therefore, especially as he
represented/represents the Labour Party, was lying.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as David
Hansen <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:22:13 +0100 someone who may be John Hearns
><[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>"Our wives and children go to Asda and the doctor's surgery"

>It reminded me of the infamous comment by some legal bod at the Lady
>Chatterly's Lover trial, "is this the sort of book you would want
>your wife or servant to read?"

That was more a case of culture clash between different generations with
wildly different viewpoints than anything else, methinks.

>>Paul Boateng said when the pavement cycling fixed penalties
>>were introduced these were NOT intended to target people who are
>>intimidated off the roads.

>He was/is just a party politician and therefore, especially as he
>represented/represents the Labour Party, was lying.

Much as I agree with your general perception of many politicians, in
this case if the letter really was sent to the Chief Constables then
presumably he's telling the truth?

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:40:49 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I'm puzzled by his suggestion that motorists who refuse to follow the
>Highway Code should have their bikes destroyed ;-)

Indeed. Someone who lives nearer Hull might like to write a letter
to the paper asking if he really means this, or whether he means
that motorists should have their cars crushed? Would the car
crushing be immediate or after a legal process? If the latter what
would be done with the car in the meantime?

Some people are very quick to advocate things for groups of people
they are not members of, but would never advocate the same thing for
groups they are members of.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 20:34:43 +0100 someone who may be Pyromancer
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>It reminded me of the infamous comment by some legal bod at the Lady
>>Chatterly's Lover trial, "is this the sort of book you would want
>>your wife or servant to read?"

>That was more a case of culture clash between different generations with
>wildly different viewpoints than anything else, methinks.

I don't think so. All sorts of people of all ages rightly pointed
out that the book had been badly misrepresented by those who would
protect us from ourselves and was in many ways a very moral book.

>>>Paul Boateng said when the pavement cycling fixed penalties
>>>were introduced these were NOT intended to target people who are
>>>intimidated off the roads.

>Much as I agree with your general perception of many politicians, in
>this case if the letter really was sent to the Chief Constables then
>presumably he's telling the truth?

Mr Liar had several dossiers sexed up at the behest of Alastair
Campbell. The dodgy dossiers were published, but that does not mean
Mr Liar was telling the truth.

In a similar vein we are told about many "terror plots" that are
nothing of the sort. Much as I recognise the cockup theory I find it
difficult to believe officials and party politicians are telling the
truth all the time. Indeed, I know that they are not, because the
"ricin plot" is still wheeled out by both groups even though Porton
Down have said there was no ricin. The article at
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2006/10/352464.html outlines some
other cases.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote

{snip]

>>It reminded me of the infamous comment by some legal bod at the
>>Lady
>>Chatterly's Lover trial, "is this the sort of book you would want
>>your wife or servant to read?"

[snip]

Didn't somebody in the House of Lords reply that wife, or daughter,
would be ok, but he wouldn't want his gamekeeper to read it.

Jeremy Parker