todays guardian (saturday)- free 100 page guide to cycling

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:eek:[email protected],
> Matthew Haigh <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
> to tell us:
>
>> What are the typical time limits/average speeds for the rides? I'm
>> assuming that they will vary by terrain.

> For Brevet Randonneur rides (200 km and longer):
>
> "5.7
>
> Speeds: events shall be run within maximum and minimum overall speeds and
> riders checked through a series of controls which have predetermined opening
> and closing times and which must be published in the brevet card for
> calendared events.
>
> (i) The minimum speeds may not be altered and shall be:
> for events up to 699km - within the range 14.3 to 15kph;
> for events from 700 to 1299 km - 13.3kph;
> for events from 1300 to 1899 km - 12kph;
> for events from 1900 to 2499 km - 10kph; and
> for events over 2499 km, 200 km per day.
>
> (ii) The maximum speed set by the organiser for the whole or any part of an
> event may be any speed up to 30kph. Minimum and maximum speeds will be noted
> in the Calendar."
>
> Though les chaps at Audax Club Parisien like nice round numbers, so allow
> 13.5 hours for a 200 and 27 for a 400 for PBP qualifiers and other Brevet
> Randonneurs Mondiaux rides.
>
> For shorter (Brevet Populaire) events, the organisator is at liberty to set
> his own minimum speed as well; for example the Kent Invicta Grimpeur on
> Sunday (100 km) has a speed range of 12-25 km/h.

Thanks. That seems quite a reasonable pace. There's a 200K (and
simultaneous 100K if I wimp out) close to me at the end of April, which
should give me time to do some work on my old 1980s 10-speed to see if
it is still up to the job and get in a few shorter rides on it first.

I have a 10 mile each way commute which has kept my legs going over the
winter, though I've been doing that on my hybridised hard tail mountain
bike. That bike isn't ideal for 100K+ on roads, even though I use it to
get up to around 60K mixed on/off road with the guys from work during
the summer.

Matt

Quoting Matthew Haigh <[email protected]>:
>Dave Larrington wrote:
>>While there /are/ nutters who will attempt to thrash round a 200 in eight
>>hours, I'm not one of them. I prefer to get my money's worth...

>What are the typical time limits/average speeds for the rides? I'm
>assuming that they will vary by terrain.

Min 15kph, max 30kph are the Brevet Randonneur speeds. Brevets Populaire
often have lower minimum speeds. I am pretending I know what the
difference is meant to be.

Climbing does not necessarily vary these limits. Since the high-AAA rides
are a bizarre kind of masochism anyway, being allowed to slow down would
ruin it. :)
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

Quoting Matthew Haigh <[email protected]>:
>Dave Larrington wrote:
>>While there /are/ nutters who will attempt to thrash round a 200 in eight
>>hours, I'm not one of them. I prefer to get my money's worth...

>What are the typical time limits/average speeds for the rides? I'm
>assuming that they will vary by terrain.

Min 15kph, max 30kph are the Brevet Randonneur speeds. Brevets Populaire
often have lower minimum speeds. I am pretending I know what the
difference is meant to be, at least until I look it up (distance) and
surreptitously supersede the previous article. Apologies to people for
whom Supersedes don't work...