Todays happy snap... me!

On May 8, 1:51 pm, gplama <gplama.2q8...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > Titanium or stainless steel?

> I didn't ask, hopefully Ti... but it looks like a skewer from a
> Huffy... I'll ask when I'm in for review next week.
>
> lama
>
> --
> gplama

Mines titanium. Not supposed to ever need to take it out either.
Although I do wonder if that means that you just transfer the force
elsewhere if you have another crash...

PiledHigher said:
On May 8, 1:51 pm, gplama <gplama.2q8...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > Titanium or stainless steel?

> I didn't ask, hopefully Ti... but it looks like a skewer from a
> Huffy... I'll ask when I'm in for review next week.
>
> lama
>
> --
> gplama

Mines titanium. Not supposed to ever need to take it out either.
Although I do wonder if that means that you just transfer the force
elsewhere if you have another crash...

I believe titanium's used by default because the body deals with it better, stand to be corrected. The plate in my leg doesn't need to be taken out but apparently most people do get it taken out. Very different injury though so same rules may not apply.

On May 8, 5:38 pm, EuanB <[email protected]>
wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
>

> > On May 8, 1:51 pm, gplama <gplama.2q8...@no-
> > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> > > I didn't ask, hopefully Ti... but it looks like a skewer from a
> > > Huffy... I'll ask when I'm in for review next week.

> > > lama

> > > --
> > > gplama

> > Mines titanium. Not supposed to ever need to take it out either.
> > Although I do wonder if that means that you just transfer the force
> > elsewhere if you have another crash...

> I believe titanium's used by default because the body deals with it
> better, stand to be corrected. The plate in my leg doesn't need to be
> taken out but apparently most people do get it taken out. Very
> different injury though so same rules may not apply.
>
> --
> EuanB- Hide quoted text -

As you can see from the plama xray it is right inside the bone, my
xray looks very similar.

It would be very significant surgery to get it back out. I was told
from the start that the pin was unlikely to come out. That was nearly
two years ago.

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

> Hehehe. So you think catastrophic failureof the helmet means it worked
> too? Catastrophic failure of a crumple zone in a car means that there was
> intrusion into the cabin. Helmets have crumple zones too, it's the
> styrofoam. It stops being protective when it shatters. That's when
> intrusion happens.

Theo, you just want to be stroppy today?

You know full well that bike helmets are single use devices. The whole thing
is a 'crumple zone'. Once the foam has been compressed it will no longer
absorb the required energy to protect your brain. So if there has been one
solid impact that damaged the helmet to the point it has broken (and in all
liklihood deformed) it has done it's job of protecting you - that is
assuming you are still alive. Any questions about later impacts are a bit
academic - there may well be later impacts that could cause a mortal injury,
but dead is dead, whether it's the first or second impact.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

On May 8, 3:09 pm, PiledHigher <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 8, 1:51 pm, gplama <gplama.2q8...@no-
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Bleve Wrote:

> > > Titanium or stainless steel?

> > I didn't ask, hopefully Ti... but it looks like a skewer from a
> > Huffy... I'll ask when I'm in for review next week.

> > lama

> > --
> > gplama

> Mines titanium. Not supposed to ever need to take it out either.
> Although I do wonder if that means that you just transfer the force
> elsewhere if you have another crash...

My knee's held together with some exotic Ti alloy screws (ACL
replacement, hamstring graft). You can feel the end of one of the
screws, the other is buried under quadraceps. They're permanent too
(sometimes they get removed, but generally not ... avoid surgery at
almost any cost ...) Welcome to the bionic club :)

Bleve said:
On May 8,,,(ouch)

Welcome to the bionic club :)
had some pins as a kid, but they yanked em out...glad as I have enough trouble going through airport security with two 'puters, RM Williams boots and my favouite reversible belt buckle....not as bad as my 83 yo mom, she has two hi-tech knees, and I took her to the States with me last trip and at every airport over there I spent 20 mins on the other side while she entertained security with her light and sound show...

hope you guys don't have such trouble in your dotage...she says it's not fun being a geriatric terror suspect

On May 9, 1:04 am, rooman <rooman.2q9...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:> On May 8,,,(ouch)
>
> > Welcome to the bionic club :)

> had some pins as a kid, but they yanked em out...glad as I have enough
> trouble going through airport security with two 'puters, RM Williams
> boots and my favouite reversible belt buckle....not as bad as my 83 yo
> mom, she has two hi-tech knees, and I took her to the States with me
> last trip and at every airport over there I spent 20 mins on the other
> side while she entertained security with her light and sound show...
>
> hope you guys don't have such trouble in your dotage...she says it's
> not fun being a geriatric terror suspect

My ti alloy bits don't seem to set anything off, at current
sensitivity levels anyway.

On May 9, 9:26 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 9, 1:04 am, rooman <rooman.2q9...@no-
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Bleve Wrote:> On May 8,,,(ouch)

> > > Welcome to the bionic club :)

> > had some pins as a kid, but they yanked em out...glad as I have enough
> > trouble going through airport security with two 'puters, RM Williams
> > boots and my favouite reversible belt buckle....not as bad as my 83 yo
> > mom, she has two hi-tech knees, and I took her to the States with me
> > last trip and at every airport over there I spent 20 mins on the other
> > side while she entertained security with her light and sound show...

> > hope you guys don't have such trouble in your dotage...she says it's
> > not fun being a geriatric terror suspect

> My ti alloy bits don't seem to set anything off, at current
> sensitivity levels anyway.

I took my x-rays on my first visit to the states post pinning, just in
case!

Bleve said:
My ti alloy bits don't seem to set anything off, at current
sensitivity levels anyway.

Speaking of setting things off... The heart machine they had me hooked into in recovery kept beeping loudly when I dropped below 50bpm. My resting HR yesterday was 42, so I was moving my legs to get my HR > 50 to stop it beeping - damn nurses caught onto my game and changed the threshold to 40. I wasn't ninja enough and couldn't get below 40 :(

On 2007-05-09, gplama (aka Bruce)

> Bleve Wrote:
>>
>> My ti alloy bits don't seem to set anything off, at current
>> sensitivity levels anyway.

> Speaking of setting things off... The heart machine they had me hooked
> into in recovery kept beeping loudly when I dropped below 50bpm. My
> resting HR yesterday was 42, so I was moving my legs to get my HR > 50
> to stop it beeping - damn nurses caught onto my game and changed the
> threshold to 40. I wasn't ninja enough and couldn't get below 40 :(

HAW. 30.

I win at scaring the nurses.

--
TimC
Can't open /usr/share/games/fortunes/fortunes. Lid stuck on cookie jar.

TimC said:
HAW. 30.

I win at scaring the nurses.

--
TimC
Can't open /usr/share/games/fortunes/fortunes. Lid stuck on cookie jar.
TimC - the living dead .... ..... wooooooohhhhhh; .......woooooOOOOOooooohhh......

gplama said:
Speaking of setting things off... The heart machine they had me hooked into in recovery kept beeping loudly when I dropped below 50bpm. My resting HR yesterday was 42, so I was moving my legs to get my HR > 50 to stop it beeping - damn nurses caught onto my game and changed the threshold to 40. I wasn't ninja enough and couldn't get below 40 :(

All the best for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery Lamaman. Apparently you'll do anything for attention :p But isn't your HR meant to go up when the nurses attend to you??? :p

gplama said:
It was up against a steep embankment.. which was soft..ish. Head/shoulder took all the impact. Helmet was doa.

Owaa! Been there..

Get whatever treatment you can and get it done fast!

The docs kept pissing about with mine (at the same time saying how bad it looked - great) and as such they didn't re-break it when I went for the op because it had set. I now have a stickyoutty colar bone. Nice. Twats.

My mate did his shoulder and paid for private treatment, hunted down a top surgeon and paid for it. He has no trouble now.

Mend soon gpl and mend properly!

hippy

gplama said:
Speaking of setting things off... The heart machine they had me hooked into in recovery kept beeping loudly when I dropped below 50bpm. My resting HR yesterday was 42, so I was moving my legs to get my HR > 50 to stop it beeping - damn nurses caught onto my game and changed the threshold to 40. I wasn't ninja enough and couldn't get below 40 :(

I had the same thing but it wasn't low HR it was low oxygen density or something. I would be just about to doze off when BEEP BEEP BEEP DAMN!!!
So I didn't get any proper sleep for a few nights because I don't breath enough or something. Stupid medical tech.

hippy
"brains brains BRAINS!"