Todays happy snap... me!

Wilchemy said:
Nasty - all the best for a quick healing.

But for something positive to aim at -According to cycnews a rider from Skil-Shimano team broke his collarbone in the Ronde van Overijssel on the weekend & he hopes to be racing in 4 weeks!! :D
Maybe the pro teams have better "recovery tonics" than the general public can get ;)

Theo Bekkers said:
Ever hear anybody say "My seat-belt snapped and thus saved my life"? Ever
see a motor-cycle helmet that shattered and the rider survived?

Are you being serious ????

The slight difference is that Helmets are designed to be DOA like that. Seat belts are designed NOT to break so you don't end up going through the windscreen.

Theo Bekkers said:
MikeyOz wrote:
> rooman Wrote:

>> depends on what you mean, failure??... or actually doing its
>> job...lama said doa, that suggests it did its job., not failed...
>> helmets are oncers...

> oh sh*t are we going to go over all this again......

Yeah why not. :) But feel free to not respond.

> <sarcasm>
> Helmets don't do anything for you, the reason everyone wears them is
> because they look cool. Oh there is a law thing as well. Mine just
> smashed to bits when I was hit by the car, what good is
> that!?!?</sarcasm>

That's a good question. If the helmet shatters when you hit the car, what
happens when you bounce off and hit the road/lamp-post? Seat-belts are also
single use, but what would people do if, in one third of all crashes, the
belt broke during the crash? How much longer do you think that brand of
seat-belt would be allowed to be installed in cars?

Ever hear anybody say "My seat-belt snapped and thus saved my life"? Ever
see a motor-cycle helmet that shattered and the rider survived?

Theo
I guess there has been a trade off in bicycle helmet size, bulk & cost to produce one that has some effectiveness but not a 100% solution to every scenario, read the link I quoted and what Franlkin says is his "ideal" bicycle helmet which covers just that scenario ( the second impact)...also on Motor Cycle helmets the force vectors statistically are different for the bulk of Motor Bike incidents so the more rubust and higher engineered helmet follows, but still lifestyle wishes for some have brought resistance to this too as commented on below by Henderson.

Henderson's study The Effectiveness of Bicycle Helmets:A Review Revised Edition Prepared by Dr. Michael Henderson for the Motor Accidents Authority of New South Wales, Australia.1995
[Reorder Number MAARE-010995] [ISBN 0 T310 6435 6] back in 95 covers some of this on M/B H's,
" Excellent evidence from all over the world consistently shows that bicycle riders who go without head protection are roughly three times more likely to suffer head injuries in a crash than those who wear a helmet. Further, a bicyclist who sustains a head injury is some 20 times more likely to die than a rider who suffers other kinds of injury.

But the notion that pedal cyclists should wear protective helmets was once seen as ridiculous. Helmet use for motorcycle riders was "different". Motorcycles were perceived as fast and dangerous machines, and crashing the bike carried a clear and unarguable risk of death or injury. Therefore, opposition to helmet use for motorcyclists has always been (in Australia) muted, and based on arguments for civil liberty rather than on the effectiveness of helmets On the other hand, pedal cycles have long been perceived as relatively slow, and falls and collisions merely inconveniences mostly suffered by children. The freedom to have one's hair flying in the wind was seen as much more important than the small risk of head impact if a rider was so unfortunate as to fall, or be knocked off the bicycle. But some twenty years ago, these perceptions started to change...."

as for seat belts... haven't seen one on a bike lately unless you mean in the bike trailers for kids (, dogs and groceries).

If you have a serious accident, and stress is put through your belt, insist on it being replaced...the law requires it, the unsurers know that..don't ***** foot on it. To compare car belts with bicycle helmets isnt doing apples with apples. Different force vectors again and different load application to different parts of the body, especially when one involves localised impact of a head and the other restraint of movement and inertia of a torso. I've seen the aftermath of broken seatbelts...it's not pretty...the aftermath of a damaged helemt is usally much better than the aftermath of a head without one.

Check out this graphic

In a lab test graphs of the impact energy the brain sees look like this, with a smooth curve extending over 6ms for the good helmet (on the left below), and a huge spike for a bare head (right).

trace1a.jpg
trace2a.jpg

Somewhere about half way up that spike is where permanent brain damage begins.

(see: http://www.helmets.org/general.htm)

All the best of luck for the op and subsequent recovery (and that x-ray is definitely going to be one to show to the grandkids!!).

On 2007-05-07, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)

> rooman Wrote:
>> depends on what you mean, failure??... or actually doing its job...lama
>> said doa, that suggests it did its job., not failed... helmets are
>> oncers...

> oh sh*t are we going to go over all this again......
>
> <sarcasm>
> Helmets don't do anything for you, the reason everyone wears them is
> because they look cool. Oh there is a law thing as well. Mine just
> smashed to bits when I was hit by the car, what good is
> that!?!?</sarcasm>

It gets you sympathy too when you show people your helmet crushed liek
bug.

--
TimC
TELESCOPE, n.

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MikeyOz wrote:
>> rooman Wrote:

>>> depends on what you mean, failure??... or actually doing its
>>> job...lama said doa, that suggests it did its job., not failed...
>>> helmets are oncers...

>> oh sh*t are we going to go over all this again......

> Yeah why not. :) But feel free to not respond.
>
>> <sarcasm>
>> Helmets don't do anything for you, the reason everyone wears them is
>> because they look cool. Oh there is a law thing as well. Mine just
>> smashed to bits when I was hit by the car, what good is
>> that!?!?</sarcasm>

> That's a good question. If the helmet shatters when you hit the car, what
> happens when you bounce off and hit the road/lamp-post? Seat-belts are
> also single use, but what would people do if, in one third of all crashes,
> the belt broke during the crash? How much longer do you think that brand
> of seat-belt would be allowed to be installed in cars?
>
> Ever hear anybody say "My seat-belt snapped and thus saved my life"? Ever
> see a motor-cycle helmet that shattered and the rider survived?

Yeah, it's like all those cars with the shonky crumple zones that just fold
up when you hit something. I mean, what if you hit a bus, bounce off and hit
a lamppost?

With this thread well and truely hijacked - looks like basso is in teh sh1t now.

Hope the op went well lama

Ash

rooman said:
In a lab test graphs of the impact energy the brain sees look like this, with a smooth curve extending over 6ms for the good helmet (on the left below), and a huge spike for a bare head (right).

I've probably done far more damage to my brain head banging over the years.

gplama said:
3 in the last 9 months... 4 all up... :)
Mate that is courier like stats.

Just imagine, if you were couriering when you did that you would be getting paid to play playstation and sit at the pub.

a5hi5m said:
Hope the op went well lama

Ash

All done. In today 7:30am, woke up around 8:30am. Done at the Epworth in Box Hill by Martin Richardson. A very straight forward operation with lots of friendly people along the way.

Happy snap: http://tinyurl.com/2zyexp

No more griding together of bones, very little pain (for now). They've OK'ed cardio work on the trainer... woot! I'll keep my feet up until the weekend though. 3 weeks until I can put any real weight on it, then I can ramp things up towards the 6 week mark where I'll be 100%. Yeehar!

lama - 'now with internal bling'

byron27 wrote:
> gplama Wrote:
>> 3 in the last 9 months... 4 all up... :)

> Mate that is courier like stats.
>
> Just imagine, if you were couriering when you did that you would be
> getting paid to play playstation and sit at the pub.

I thought couriers were all sub contractors, so no work = no pay. Well
that was the case when I were a lad (in my very very brief stint as a
bike courier).

DaveB

On May 8, 1:28 pm, gplama <gplama.2q8...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> lama - 'now with internal bling'

Titanium or stainless steel?

On May 8, 1:28 pm, gplama <gplama.2q8...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> a5hi5m Wrote:

> > Hope the op went well lama

> > Ash

> All done. In today 7:30am, woke up around 8:30am. Done at the Epworth
> in Box Hill by Martin Richardson. A very straight forward operation
> with lots of friendly people along the way.
>
> Happy snap:http://tinyurl.com/2zyexp
>
> No more griding together of bones, very little pain (for now). They've
> OK'ed cardio work on the trainer... woot! I'll keep my feet up until
> the weekend though. 3 weeks until I can put any real weight on it,
> then I can ramp things up towards the 6 week mark where I'll be 100%.
> Yeehar!
>
> lama - 'now with internal bling'
>
> --
> gplama

That's who did mine! Nearly asked, as mentioned earlier was pleased
with the outcome.

MikeyOz wrote:
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>> Ever hear anybody say "My seat-belt snapped and thus saved my life"?
>> Ever
>> see a motor-cycle helmet that shattered and the rider survived?
>>

> Are you being serious ????
>
> The slight difference is that Helmets are designed to be DOA like
> that. Seat belts are designed NOT to break so you don't end up going
> through the windscreen.

Helmets are designed to shatter on impact?
Are you being serious????

Theo

rooman wrote:

> I guess there has been a trade off in bicycle helmet size, bulk & cost
> to produce one that has some effectiveness but not a 100% solution to
> every scenario, read the link I quoted and what Franlkin says is his
> "ideal" bicycle helmet which covers just that scenario ( the second
> impact)...also on Motor Cycle helmets the force vectors statistically
> are different for the bulk of Motor Bike incidents so the more rubust
> and higher engineered helmet follows, but still lifestyle wishes for
> some have brought resistance to this too as commented on below by
> Henderson.

I read the whole thing mate.

> Henderson's study *The Effectiveness of Bicycle Helmets*:A Review
> revised edition prepared by dr. michael henderson for the motor
> accidents authority of new south wales, australia.1995
> -[Reorder Number MAARE-010995] [ISBN 0 T310 6435 6]- back in 95 covers
> some of this on M/B H's,
> " - Excellent evidence from all over the world consistently shows that
> bicycle riders who go without head protection are roughly three times
> more likely to suffer head injuries in a crash than those who wear a
> helmet. Further, a bicyclist who sustains a head injury is some 20
> times more likely to die than a rider who suffers other kinds of
> injury. -

I'm sure many people would dispute that 'evidence'.

> -But the notion that pedal cyclists should wear protective helmets was
> once seen as ridiculous. Helmet use for motorcycle riders was
> "different".

When I got my motorcycle licence helmets were not a requirement but were
advised. I had one but didn't wear it for the test as I wanted to be able to
hear the instructor's directions.

> On the other hand, pedal cycles have long been perceived as
> relatively slow, and falls and collisions merely inconveniences
> mostly suffered by children.

And indeed, they were.

> If you have a serious accident, and stress is put through your belt,
> insist on it being replaced...the law requires it, the unsurers know
> that..don't ***** foot on it.

No question. I would replace it.

> To compare car belts with bicycle
> helmets isnt doing apples with apples. Different force vectors again
> and different load application to different parts of the body,
> especially when one involves localised impact of a head and the
> other restraint of movement and inertia of a torso. I've seen the
> aftermath of broken seatbelts...it's not pretty...the aftermath of a
> damaged helemt is usally much better than the aftermath of a head
> without one.
>
> Check out this graphic

Nice pictures.

Theo

Resound wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>> That's a good question. If the helmet shatters when you hit the car,
>> what happens when you bounce off and hit the road/lamp-post?
>> Seat-belts are also single use, but what would people do if, in one
>> third of all crashes, the belt broke during the crash? How much
>> longer do you think that brand of seat-belt would be allowed to be
>> installed in cars? Ever hear anybody say "My seat-belt snapped and thus
>> saved my life"?
>> Ever see a motor-cycle helmet that shattered and the rider survived?

> Yeah, it's like all those cars with the shonky crumple zones that
> just fold up when you hit something. I mean, what if you hit a bus,
> bounce off and hit a lamppost?

Hehehe. So you think catastrophic failureof the helmet means it worked too?
Catastrophic failure of a crumple zone in a car means that there was
intrusion into the cabin. Helmets have crumple zones too, it's the
styrofoam. It stops being protective when it shatters. That's when intrusion
happens.

Theo

gplama wrote:

> Only eTerrorists hijack threads!! Go on, get... get get get!!!! :p

My real name is David Hicks. Sorry about your thread.

Theo