Today's little jaunt

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, May 29, 2003.

  1. Thursday, 29 May 2003

    Today's little jaunt went well.

    Hot weather, so cycling gave a nice breeze. I was smothered in factor 30 and copious quantities of
    DEET to stop the wildlife reducing any exposed flesh to festering sores (I may not look a sensitive
    soul, but I am).

    Nathan & I set off from the UEA campus in Norwich and over the river to the playing fields - out
    round the back of the research park and on to the B1108 (right number??). I managed to climb the
    hill up to the A47 roundabout okay and the traffic wasn't too bad on the narrow road. Nathan stayed
    behind me so he didn't drop his aging mother on the hill by doing a Lance Armstrong on an Alpine
    stage of the Tour de France. Bless his little clipless pedals. We went along the B1108 to Hingham.
    It seemed to take an age - the road signs marking distance lie, I tell you! Most drivers were okay,
    but there was one idiot in a convertible who seemed to be under the impression that driving a
    convertible gave him carte blanche to drive at crazy speeds round sharp corners. I think he probably
    heard me question his parentage and curse the fruit of his loins for 700 generations to come.

    When Nathan and I got to Hingham we stopped for refreshments at Lincoln's café; all highly
    civilised. I was good and had a small jacket potato with cottage cheese followed by a mug of coffee,
    but Nathan had a strawberry milkshake, a large baguette filled with ham, a can of lemonade and a
    large slice of kumquat and chocolate torte with two scoops of ice cream and a beautiful spun sugar
    parasol as decoration on it. I just sat and drooled. Why is it that the boy can eat like a horse but
    look like a whippet whereas I eat like a sparrow but look like a hippo??? Life is not fair!

    After our refreshment stop we got back on the bikes and pootled across the country lanes back to
    home. Two miles from home, Nathan daydreams and cycled into my back wheel. Result is Nathan sprawled
    across the grass verge alongside his bike. The only thing hurt is his dignity. He got up, dusted
    himself down and got back on his bike.

    26 miles and a nice jaunt from Norwich through undulating Norfolk countryside to home!

    Where to cycle to tomorrow???

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter claimed:
    > ... I eat like a sparrow ...

    What, you mean 9 times your own weight every day? ;-)

    > but look like a hippo???

    I don't believe it. Jpgs.

    Thomas Paine

  3. >I don't believe it. Jpgs.

    Can't get a wide-angle lens wide enough ;-)

    The weight is heading in a downwards direction - but I am impatient - it's too slow. I wanna be slim
    *NNNNOOOOWWW*!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >I don't believe it. Jpgs.
    >
    > Can't get a wide-angle lens wide enough ;-)
    >
    > The weight is heading in a downwards direction - but I am impatient - it's
    too
    > slow. I wanna be slim *NNNNOOOOWWW*!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd

    > ~~~~~~~~~~

    Nothing wrong with that...little and often is the key. It will stay off that way, trust me...I'm
    talking from BIG experience!

    Well done I say.

    --
    Mark

  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > >I don't believe it. Jpgs.
    > >
    > > Can't get a wide-angle lens wide enough ;-)
    > >
    > > The weight is heading in a downwards direction - but I am impatient -
    it's
    > too
    > > slow. I wanna be slim *NNNNOOOOWWW*!
    > >
    > > Cheers, helen s
    > >

    > > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
    > >
    > > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    > keyboaRRRDdd
    >
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > Nothing wrong with that...little and often is the key. It will stay off that way, trust me...I'm
    > talking from BIG experience!
    >
    > Well done I say.
    >

    > --
    > Mark

    But how do you account for the 8 pints of Guinness per night at weekends???????

    --
    ---
    Don't be shy, click on the link below. http://www.justgiving.com/letour

    L'Etape du Tour 2003, rider number 3295, I must be mad!
    http://www.letapedutour.com/2003/us/index.htm

  6. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > but Nathan had a strawberry milkshake, a large baguette filled with ham, a can of lemonade and a
    > large slice of
    kumquat
    > and chocolate torte with two scoops of ice cream and a beautiful spun
    sugar
    > parasol as decoration on it. I just sat and drooled.

    I don't think you missed out. A kumquat should be eaten on its own to appreciate the mixture of
    sweet skin and tooth-numbing bitterness inside.

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Thursday, 29 May 2003
    >
    > Today's little jaunt went well.

    Same up on Tayside... Needed to go shopping so got the bike out but decided to take a rather large
    detour to Tescos when a friend in training for a 200 miler called and asked if I fancied a hack when
    she finished work in a few minutes. Size of my Tesco detour doubled in an instant and not too long
    after we headed up the riverside to Errol where we paused at the Cairn o' Mohr winery for a bottle
    for later and a couple of glasses of their sparkling elderflower right there and then: ideal given
    the rather warm and sticky evening it had become. A couple of miles past Errol and then a Uie and
    return, me having to work quite a bit harder than I usually do to keep up with my rather fitter
    friend. Ended up at about 25 miles to Tescos rather than the usual couple, but very agreeable :)

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 21:46:20 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter claimed:
    >> ... I eat like a sparrow ...
    >
    >What, you mean 9 times your own weight every day? ;-)
    >
    >> but look like a hippo???
    >
    >I don't believe it. Jpgs.

    Danny, you unbeliever. Helen has nostrils on the top of her head and really silly-looking ears.

    However, should you mention b** s******, you should be very careful of those fangs.

    James

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Alright, alright - so where's the camera hidden????

    Well, there seems to be one in the bedroom: http://www.notjustballoons.co.uk/acatalog/hippo6j.jpg

    One on the way to the shops: http://www.jeffshelly.com/images/animalimages/hippo.jpg

    One overseeing your weight loss campaign: http://www.vegsource.com/harris/common/Hippo.GIF

    and this looks like an image in full PSF mode: http://www.senegalaisement.com/images/hippo.jpg or
    perhaps this is more appropriate: http://www.debbiesbook.com/files/x/a1436/hippo.jpg

    But the garage would appear to be safe. At any rate, Google didn't find any images of a hippo riding
    a bike :-(

    I can't really see a reason to mention this one, I just liked it:
    http://tana.mattwilson.org/attic/1999/hippo.jpg

    Thomas Paine

  10. Same here but my little jaunt turned out to be 88 miles. From the Wirral to Llangollen via Worlds
    End and then over the Horseshoe Pass and then back home, 8 hours later. I think I'll have a rest
    Saturday! Thanks, John