Today's recreational.food.cooking

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by serene, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. serene

    serene Guest

    For dinner at Guy's: My version of spaghetti carbonara -- fry bacon and
    onions together. Cook spaghetti(ni) until al dente. Add hot spaghetti
    to eggs in a bowl and toss to set the eggs. Add bacon (and some bacon
    fat if desired, quantity at your discretion) and parmesan cheese. Serve.

    Once I got home: Two spice cakes for T-day. A pot of split-pea soup --
    split peas, carrots, onions, a little olive oil, water, and some
    seasoned salt. Really yummy. Also baked the sweet potatoes for the pie
    (I use canned pumpkin, but I find canned sweet potato to be too sweet.)

    Tomorrow begins the serious cooking prep. Make cranberry sauce; Chop
    onions and celery and saute for stuffing; anything else I can think of
    that's a do-days-ahead chore. Then Wednesday, bake a zillion pies (4-6
    pumpkin, one sweet-potato, two apple. That's the plan, anyway. Nine
    pies is a zillion, right?) and do whatever else can be done ahead.

    Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
    and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
    bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
    it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

    It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie
    and cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)

    serene

    Tags:

  2. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "serene" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > For dinner at Guy's: My version of spaghetti carbonara -- fry bacon and
    > onions together. Cook spaghetti(ni) until al dente. Add hot spaghetti to
    > eggs in a bowl and toss to set the eggs. Add bacon (and some bacon fat if
    > desired, quantity at your discretion) and parmesan cheese. Serve.

    Oh, it's a mix of carbonara and matriciana! No pepper?

    > Once I got home: Two spice cakes for T-day. A pot of split-pea soup --
    > split peas, carrots, onions, a little olive oil, water, and some seasoned
    > salt. Really yummy. Also baked the sweet potatoes for the pie (I use
    > canned pumpkin, but I find canned sweet potato to be too sweet.)
    >
    > Tomorrow begins the serious cooking prep. Make cranberry sauce; Chop
    > onions and celery and saute for stuffing; anything else I can think of
    > that's a do-days-ahead chore. Then Wednesday, bake a zillion pies (4-6
    > pumpkin, one sweet-potato, two apple. That's the plan, anyway. Nine pies
    > is a zillion, right?) and do whatever else can be done ahead.
    >
    > Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30 and
    > out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the bird
    > this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and it's a
    > food-safety problem, from what I read.

    Why have you got your dinner at 3? 3 PM or 3AM?
    It's very strange for me :)
    Have good preparatives!

    > It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie and
    > cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)

    Send us some photos!!!!
    cheers
    Pandora

    > serene

  3. Pan Ohco

    Pan Ohco Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene wrote:

    >Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
    >and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
    >bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
    >it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

    If you are going to cook the bird un stuffed, rethink you cooking
    time. Seven hour will result in a burnt bird. Unless your cooking a
    full emu, or slow roasting ( Pulled turkey ) :). Happy Thanksgiving.
    >serene

  4. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    serene wrote:

    > Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
    > and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3.

    ?? How big is this turkey? I got a 12 pounder and unstuffed it will take
    maybe 90 minutes to cook.

    Dawn

  5. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

  6. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:10:18 -0600, Pan Ohco <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene wrote:
    >

    >>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
    >>and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
    >>bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
    >>it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

    >If you are going to cook the bird un stuffed, rethink you cooking
    >time. Seven hour will result in a burnt bird. Unless your cooking a
    >full emu, or slow roasting ( Pulled turkey ) :). Happy Thanksgiving.
    >>serene

    I thought this same thing. 7 hours is the sure way to deliver a dry
    tasteless turkey.

    Even a 20 pounder shouldn't take that long, and especially unstuffed.
    Get a Polder type digital thermometer, and use it. That way you can
    be sure of taking the turkey out just when it is done.

    Christine

  7. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    snip

    >It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie
    >and cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)
    >
    >serene

    Did I miss this recipe for the brie, cranberries and walnuts? I'm
    assuming the cranberries are cooked with sugar and perhaps orange
    juice/rind. Sounds delicious and I would like tomake it but want to
    be certain that I do it right!

  8. serene

    serene Guest

    Pandora wrote:

    > "serene" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>For dinner at Guy's: My version of spaghetti carbonara -- fry bacon and
    >>onions together. Cook spaghetti(ni) until al dente. Add hot spaghetti to
    >>eggs in a bowl and toss to set the eggs. Add bacon (and some bacon fat if
    >>desired, quantity at your discretion) and parmesan cheese. Serve.

    > Oh, it's a mix of carbonara and matriciana! No pepper?

    Oh, yes, salt and pepper. What is matriciana? I could look it up, but
    I like the way you explain things.

    >>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30 and
    >>out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the bird
    >>this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and it's a
    >>food-safety problem, from what I read.

    > Why have you got your dinner at 3? 3 PM or 3AM?

    3pm. It's my family tradition.

    >>It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie and
    >>cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)

    > Send us some photos!!!!

    I'll do that! :)

    serene

  9. serene

    serene Guest

    Pan Ohco wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene wrote:
    >

    >>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
    >>and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
    >>bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
    >>it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

    > If you are going to cook the bird un stuffed, rethink you cooking
    > time.

    That time was for the stuffed bird. I haven't looked up the time for
    unstuffed yet. Will probably still get up at 7, though. There's lots
    to do. :)

    serene

  10. serene

    serene Guest

    Audrey Lemons wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >

    >>It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie
    >>and cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)
    >>
    >>serene

    > Did I miss this recipe for the brie, cranberries and walnuts? I'm
    > assuming the cranberries are cooked with sugar and perhaps orange
    > juice/rind. Sounds delicious and I would like tomake it but want to
    > be certain that I do it right!

    I just put down a layer of brie (cubed), a layer of walnuts, and a layer
    of dried sweetened cranberries. People scoop it up with crackers or
    baguette slices.

    serene

  11. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    wrote:

    >Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
    >and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
    >bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
    >it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

    >serene

    That must be a monster bird. When I cook turkey it never takes more
    than 3 hours tops, stuffed.

  12. Thanks. That's simple enough and sounds really good. I will
    certainly make this one.