Today's recreational.food.cooking

serene

Guest
For dinner at Guy's: My version of spaghetti carbonara -- fry bacon and
onions together. Cook spaghetti(ni) until al dente. Add hot spaghetti
to eggs in a bowl and toss to set the eggs. Add bacon (and some bacon
fat if desired, quantity at your discretion) and parmesan cheese. Serve.

Once I got home: Two spice cakes for T-day. A pot of split-pea soup --
split peas, carrots, onions, a little olive oil, water, and some
seasoned salt. Really yummy. Also baked the sweet potatoes for the pie
(I use canned pumpkin, but I find canned sweet potato to be too sweet.)

Tomorrow begins the serious cooking prep. Make cranberry sauce; Chop
onions and celery and saute for stuffing; anything else I can think of
that's a do-days-ahead chore. Then Wednesday, bake a zillion pies (4-6
pumpkin, one sweet-potato, two apple. That's the plan, anyway. Nine
pies is a zillion, right?) and do whatever else can be done ahead.

Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie
and cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)

serene

"serene" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> For dinner at Guy's: My version of spaghetti carbonara -- fry bacon and
> onions together. Cook spaghetti(ni) until al dente. Add hot spaghetti to
> eggs in a bowl and toss to set the eggs. Add bacon (and some bacon fat if
> desired, quantity at your discretion) and parmesan cheese. Serve.

Oh, it's a mix of carbonara and matriciana! No pepper?

> Once I got home: Two spice cakes for T-day. A pot of split-pea soup --
> split peas, carrots, onions, a little olive oil, water, and some seasoned
> salt. Really yummy. Also baked the sweet potatoes for the pie (I use
> canned pumpkin, but I find canned sweet potato to be too sweet.)
>
> Tomorrow begins the serious cooking prep. Make cranberry sauce; Chop
> onions and celery and saute for stuffing; anything else I can think of
> that's a do-days-ahead chore. Then Wednesday, bake a zillion pies (4-6
> pumpkin, one sweet-potato, two apple. That's the plan, anyway. Nine pies
> is a zillion, right?) and do whatever else can be done ahead.
>
> Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30 and
> out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the bird
> this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and it's a
> food-safety problem, from what I read.

Why have you got your dinner at 3? 3 PM or 3AM?
It's very strange for me :)
Have good preparatives!

> It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie and
> cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)

Send us some photos!!!!
cheers
Pandora

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene wrote:

>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
>and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
>bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
>it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

If you are going to cook the bird un stuffed, rethink you cooking
time. Seven hour will result in a burnt bird. Unless your cooking a
full emu, or slow roasting ( Pulled turkey ) :). Happy Thanksgiving.

serene wrote:

> Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
> and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3.

?? How big is this turkey? I got a 12 pounder and unstuffed it will take
maybe 90 minutes to cook.

Dawn

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:10:18 -0600, Pan Ohco <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene wrote:
>

>>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
>>and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
>>bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
>>it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

>If you are going to cook the bird un stuffed, rethink you cooking
>time. Seven hour will result in a burnt bird. Unless your cooking a
>full emu, or slow roasting ( Pulled turkey ) :). Happy Thanksgiving.
>>serene

I thought this same thing. 7 hours is the sure way to deliver a dry
tasteless turkey.

Even a 20 pounder shouldn't take that long, and especially unstuffed.
Get a Polder type digital thermometer, and use it. That way you can
be sure of taking the turkey out just when it is done.

Christine

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
wrote:

snip

>It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie
>and cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)
>
>serene

Did I miss this recipe for the brie, cranberries and walnuts? I'm
assuming the cranberries are cooked with sugar and perhaps orange
juice/rind. Sounds delicious and I would like tomake it but want to
be certain that I do it right!

Pandora wrote:

> "serene" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>For dinner at Guy's: My version of spaghetti carbonara -- fry bacon and
>>onions together. Cook spaghetti(ni) until al dente. Add hot spaghetti to
>>eggs in a bowl and toss to set the eggs. Add bacon (and some bacon fat if
>>desired, quantity at your discretion) and parmesan cheese. Serve.

> Oh, it's a mix of carbonara and matriciana! No pepper?

Oh, yes, salt and pepper. What is matriciana? I could look it up, but
I like the way you explain things.

>>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30 and
>>out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the bird
>>this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and it's a
>>food-safety problem, from what I read.

> Why have you got your dinner at 3? 3 PM or 3AM?

3pm. It's my family tradition.

>>It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie and
>>cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)

> Send us some photos!!!!

I'll do that! :)

serene

Pan Ohco wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene wrote:
>

>>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
>>and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
>>bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
>>it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

> If you are going to cook the bird un stuffed, rethink you cooking
> time.

That time was for the stuffed bird. I haven't looked up the time for
unstuffed yet. Will probably still get up at 7, though. There's lots
to do. :)

serene

Audrey Lemons wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:14:22 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> snip
>

>>It's a lot of work, but I'm excited. And I can't wait to see my brie
>>and cranberries and walnuts in my new chafing dish. :)
>>
>>serene

> Did I miss this recipe for the brie, cranberries and walnuts? I'm
> assuming the cranberries are cooked with sugar and perhaps orange
> juice/rind. Sounds delicious and I would like tomake it but want to
> be certain that I do it right!

I just put down a layer of brie (cubed), a layer of walnuts, and a layer
of dried sweetened cranberries. People scoop it up with crackers or
baguette slices.

serene

wrote:

>Thursday, up at 7 to clean the turkey so it can be in the oven by 7:30
>and out by 2:30. Dinner is at 3. Have decided to try not stuffing the
>bird this year. I prefer the taste of stuffing, but it makes a mess and
>it's a food-safety problem, from what I read.

>serene

That must be a monster bird. When I cook turkey it never takes more
than 3 hours tops, stuffed.

Thanks. That's simple enough and sounds really good. I will
certainly make this one.