Todays Ride.... and the importance of the mental game.

cycling_jedi

Aug 13, 2006
On the weekends I usually ride first thing in the morning, but when I woke up today it was raining so I waited....

We went to the mall mid afternoon and when we got home it was still overcast, but no rain. I sat on the couch and told myself I needed to get up and ride, but I couldnt move... I had been having a lazy day and did not feel like doing anything.

About 20 minutes later I finally got up and went out for a ride. I started off as normal, but my legs started hurting a bit and it seemed as if I was struggling just to keep going. I felt every bump on the road and couldnt stay focused.

After about 2 miles I told myself I would head home after 5 miles and just be done for the day... I took a slightly different route so that I would hit the 5 mile mark and head home, but when I got to five I said to myself that I have to at least do double digits. I went further and down to the river... The ride was still a rough one, but as I pushed myself I started feeling better. I ended up riding a little more than 10 miles, which is my usual ride during the week, but is only half of what I do on each weekend day.

So overall it was a bad ride... couldnt get in the groove... took me longer than normal... legs hurting.... sweating more than normal... couldn't get my gears right.... couldn't stay focused in the beginning.... and struggled 90 % of the ride.....

and I think all of that because of my mind set before I left.

How you're feeling psychologically is always part of it, but I suspect bad/good rides have more to do with your physiological state and the conditions outside than anything else. I've been on rides where I had low motivation to start out with but my attitude turned around once I realized my legs were feeling particularly well. The same works in reverse.

Usually when I am having a bad ride I find a mechanical problem with bike (even if I have to make one up). then when I get home I mess around with my bicycle until I think Its fixed. Sometimes I can pick out the softest little noise and I have to get off my bike and look at it/fix it. Does anyone else do that?

Sometimes you just do not feel like riding. On those days, if I analyse things, there is probably a good reason (pigged out the day before, too much alcohol, too little sleep, stressful week at work, etc).

If I do not feel like riding, I do not ride. No one (unfortunately) pays me to ride, so I have to be in the mood to enjoy it.

I have also noticed that if I always ride at a particular time (early morning, evening, etc) riding at a different time of time wreaks havoc with my system and I ride like ****.

Having said that, I think you actually did the right thing. I often find that I do not feel great, go out riding, and then hit the groove about 10~15 kms out from home, and come back in a great mood.

I seem to have no ability to predict how I will ride on any given day. The best I can do is stick to my routine. Sometimes I start weak and gain strength, sometimes the opposite.

I'm much the same. Living in Ireland, i'm always watching for the rain, wondering whether i can take a chance...knowing that if i go for a cycle, it'll **** with rain...and if i don't, it's sure to stay overcast but nice.

I rarely decide what exact route i'm going when i go for a spin, but i too find once i break that 10-15 km barrier, i could go for ages.