Today's Ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Carol Hague, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    An unplanned excursion today.

    I discovered this morning that I needed to take the Senior Cat Of The Household to visit the Evil
    Man With The Needles, so having secured an appointment, cat was secured in the trailer (cat carrier
    swathed in blanket and old waterproof jacket to keep the weather off him) and the pair of us set off
    into the headwind and rain. Ick.

    Now, I'm slow at the best of times, but I averaged just over 6mph for this trip (about 5 miles),
    which is flat apart from a motorway bridge. Aargh.

    Vet asked if Senior Cat is eating. I restrained myself with difficulty from bursting into hysterical
    laughter and explained that Senior Cat rarely does anything else, at least by choice.

    Evil Needles having been put to use, and cat prevented from escaping backwards from the vet's
    table, I re-swathed him in his carrier and set off home. At half again the speed I'd attained
    coming out. Whee!

    About 2 miles from home I detected a slackening of the pace, although I was still pedalling as hard
    as ever. Yep, the P*nct*re Fairy had paid me a long overdue visit. Bugger.

    Fear not, thought I, I always carry a spare tube, shouldn't take too long to swap them over. An
    extensive rummage through the pannier reveals that I have in fact been deluding myself and there is
    no spare tube to be had. Bugger 2.

    Not wanting to leave cat in trailer for any longer than strictly necessary, I pumped up the tyre as
    much as I could (i.e. enough to keep from trashing the rim) and set off again. Fortunately it held
    enough pressure to get me back to the level crossing at the edge of the village where I live,
    although crossing the tracks seemed to be the last straw and I had to stop and pump it up again on
    the far side. That was enough to get through the last half mile or so. Phew.

    In case people think I'm cruel to take the cat in the bike trailer, experience has shown that he
    (and indeed the Junior Cat) is much more relaxed after traveling thus than if they go somewhere by
    motorised transport - the bike is quieter and less smelly after all, albeit probably a bit bumpier.

    Other observations from the ride :-

    - Karrimor fleece trousers are not waterproof, but remain nice and warm on the inside even when
    the outside is damp.

    - My new Freestyle jacket is considerably more waterproof than my old knackered one, not to mention
    considerably more yellow....

    - I need some Slime for my tyres.

    Senior Cat, for those interested, is to remain indoors under observation for 48 hours, and if
    symptoms persist is to return to the vet on Wednesday (don't tell him that though :))

    --
    Carol Hague "There's no need for a piece of sculpture in a home that has a cat."
    - Wesley Bates

    Tags:

  2. >Senior Cat, for those interested, is to remain indoors under observation for 48 hours, and if
    >symptoms persist is to return to the vet on Wednesday (don't tell him that though :))

    Give Senior Cat some ear scritches from me. If Senior Cat were Waffles, I'd be having to watch out
    for revenge when I least expect it. Possibly in the form of steaming, vomited, partially digested,
    small rodent innards just where I put my foot of a morning when getting out of bed...

    I hope it's nothing seriously wrong with Senior Cat.

    Waffles is due to go to TED (all evil men with needles are called TED. Stands for The Evil Doctor
    and applies if TED is male or female) for her annual booster jabs this month.

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:

    : In case people think I'm cruel to take the cat in the bike trailer, experience has shown that he
    : (and indeed the Junior Cat) is much more relaxed after traveling thus than if they go somewhere by
    : motorised transport - the bike is quieter and less smelly after all, albeit probably a bit
    : bumpier.

    I always take my cat to the vet on the bike - put him in the cat box then pop bike box on the bob
    trailer. He seems fine with it all.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <1g5c1sx.15xxk8e1rxzdbxN%[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

    > The difference being that until comparatively recently many people (of

    Not if you're below about retirement age ...

    Throughout my lifetime, there has been a pretty relentless feminist agenda. Like other social
    agendas, it's done both good and bad. It tends to make men feel put upon.

    One outcome is that noone believes - indeed is *allowed* to believe in the traditional role of
    women, but men are routinely put down. Mother-in-law jokes may be slightly tolerated but only so
    long as they're clearly labelled as coming from a *tradition* and we-know-better-today. But they
    same kind of comments are made *in all seriousness* about men; things like the BBC's "womens hour"
    takes our inferiority for granted.

    Is it any wonder people get touchy?

    BTW, I had no problems with Helen's post: it clearly does fall into the category of acceptable
    mother-in-law jokes.

    --
    Things money can usually buy: (1) The Meeja (2) The Courts
    (3) A member of parliament (4) A government policy

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:

    : In case people think I'm cruel to take the cat in the bike trailer, experience has shown that he
    : (and indeed the Junior Cat) is much more relaxed after traveling thus than if they go somewhere by
    : motorised transport - the bike is quieter and less smelly after all, albeit probably a bit
    : bumpier.

    I always take my cat to the vet on the bike - put him in the cat box then pop bike box on the bob
    trailer. He seems fine with it all.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. Nick Kew

  7. Carol Hague wrote:

    > In case people think I'm cruel to take the cat in the bike trailer, experience has shown that he
    > (and indeed the Junior Cat) is much more relaxed after traveling thus than if they go somewhere by
    > motorised transport - the bike is quieter and less smelly after all, albeit probably a bit
    > bumpier.

    Mine howl all the way to the vet, but are always silent on the way home. Either they know it's all
    over or they're shell-shocked. I look upon this annual torture as my revenge for all their evil
    doings over the previous year...breaking into the bedroom, bringing live mice into the lounge,
    walking on freshly washed cars, crapping in the neighbours' flower beds...

  8. Carol Hague wrote:

    > In case people think I'm cruel to take the cat in the bike trailer, experience has shown that he
    > (and indeed the Junior Cat) is much more relaxed after traveling thus than if they go somewhere by
    > motorised transport - the bike is quieter and less smelly after all, albeit probably a bit
    > bumpier.

    Mine howl all the way to the vet, but are always silent on the way home. Either they know it's all
    over or they're shell-shocked. I look upon this annual torture as my revenge for all their evil
    doings over the previous year...breaking into the bedroom, bringing live mice into the lounge,
    walking on freshly washed cars, crapping in the neighbours' flower beds...

  9. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Senior Cat, for those interested, is to remain indoors under observation for 48 hours, and if
    > >symptoms persist is to return to the vet on Wednesday (don't tell him that though :))
    >
    > Give Senior Cat some ear scritches from me.

    Thanks - I will.

    > If Senior Cat were Waffles, I'd be having to watch out for revenge when I least expect it.
    > Possibly in the form of steaming, vomited, partially digested, small rodent innards just where I
    > put my foot of a morning when getting out of bed...

    One reason why the cats aren't allowed upstairs in our house :)

    I just need to watch him around the new sofa....

    > I hope it's nothing seriously wrong with Senior Cat.

    So do I. TED (I like that!) says he's most likely eaten a Warfarin-poisoned rodent and has given him
    Vitamin K to counter that possibility and antibiotics in case it's an infection (he's been passing
    blood, hence the unscheduled trip). He seems better this morning (Tiger, not TED!), although he's
    still sulking :)

    > Waffles is due to go to TED (all evil men with needles are called TED. Stands for The Evil Doctor
    > and applies if TED is male or female) for her annual booster jabs this month.

    I hope she behaves better than Tigs, who once tried to bite TED rather than submit to the injection.
    Most embarassing, even if TEDs are used to
    it....

    ObCycling - the number of bikes in the house is now significantly reduced, Rob having banished my
    old uprights to the new shelving in the garage, although my trike is temporarily in the lounge for
    puncture repair purposes - which Rob did for me, thus earning major brownie points. Yes, I *can*
    repair punctures, but why bark yourself, right? :)

    --
    Carol Hague "....a cat is a diagram and pattern of subtle air." - Doris Lessing

  10. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Senior Cat, for those interested, is to remain indoors under observation for 48 hours, and if
    > >symptoms persist is to return to the vet on Wednesday (don't tell him that though :))
    >
    > Give Senior Cat some ear scritches from me.

    Thanks - I will.

    > If Senior Cat were Waffles, I'd be having to watch out for revenge when I least expect it.
    > Possibly in the form of steaming, vomited, partially digested, small rodent innards just where I
    > put my foot of a morning when getting out of bed...

    One reason why the cats aren't allowed upstairs in our house :)

    I just need to watch him around the new sofa....

    > I hope it's nothing seriously wrong with Senior Cat.

    So do I. TED (I like that!) says he's most likely eaten a Warfarin-poisoned rodent and has given him
    Vitamin K to counter that possibility and antibiotics in case it's an infection (he's been passing
    blood, hence the unscheduled trip). He seems better this morning (Tiger, not TED!), although he's
    still sulking :)

    > Waffles is due to go to TED (all evil men with needles are called TED. Stands for The Evil Doctor
    > and applies if TED is male or female) for her annual booster jabs this month.

    I hope she behaves better than Tigs, who once tried to bite TED rather than submit to the injection.
    Most embarassing, even if TEDs are used to
    it....

    ObCycling - the number of bikes in the house is now significantly reduced, Rob having banished my
    old uprights to the new shelving in the garage, although my trike is temporarily in the lounge for
    puncture repair purposes - which Rob did for me, thus earning major brownie points. Yes, I *can*
    repair punctures, but why bark yourself, right? :)

    --
    Carol Hague "....a cat is a diagram and pattern of subtle air." - Doris Lessing

  11. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : In case people think I'm cruel to take the cat in the bike trailer, experience has shown that he
    > : (and indeed the Junior Cat) is much more relaxed after traveling thus than if they go somewhere
    > : by motorised transport - the bike is quieter and less smelly after all, albeit probably a bit
    > : bumpier.
    >
    > I always take my cat to the vet on the bike - put him in the cat box then pop bike box on the bob
    > trailer. He seems fine with it all.

    On one of our house moves, the two places were less than a mile apart so we moved a lot of stuff by
    bike, including the fridge freezer, two large bookcases - and the cats. The cats settled into the
    new house much better on that occasion than any of the times they've moved by van.

    That was when we had the Columbus trailer though. I don't think that particular freezer would fit in
    the Bob, although the Bluebird might cope. Not sure about the bookcases.

    --
    Carol Hague "Be yourself, no matter what they say."
    - Sting, "An Englishman In New York

  12. Carol Hague

  13. On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:13:28 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mine howl all the way to the vet, but are always silent on the way home. Either they know it's all
    > over or they're shell-shocked. I look upon this annual torture as my revenge for all their evil
    > doings over the previous year...

    > walking on freshly washed cars,

    Evil?

    Colin
    --

  14. On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:13:28 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mine howl all the way to the vet, but are always silent on the way home. Either they know it's all
    > over or they're shell-shocked. I look upon this annual torture as my revenge for all their evil
    > doings over the previous year...

    > walking on freshly washed cars,

    Evil?

    Colin
    --

  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (Carol Hague) writes:

    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > >Senior Cat, for those interested, is to remain indoors under observation for 48 hours, and if
    > > >symptoms persist is to return to the vet on Wednesday (don't tell him that though :))
    > >
    > > Give Senior Cat some ear scritches from me.
    >
    > Thanks - I will.

    Our (extremely) senior cat has got a lot more relaxed and co-operative at the vets of recent years.
    It's not as if she goes that often, so she can't really be accused of 'getting used to it'.

    > > If Senior Cat were Waffles, I'd be having to watch out for revenge when I least expect it.
    > > Possibly in the form of steaming, vomited, partially digested, small rodent innards just where I
    > > put my foot of a morning when getting out of bed...

    > So do I. TED (I like that!) says he's most likely eaten a Warfarin-poisoned rodent

    Oi! I resemble that remark.

    ;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14? -- user 'Tackhead', in /.
    discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02

  16. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:

    : On one of our house moves, the two places were less than a mile apart so we moved a lot of stuff
    : by bike, including the fridge freezer, two large bookcases - and the cats. The cats settled into
    : the new house much better on that occasion than any of the times they've moved by van.

    hm. Curious. When I moved into my current house, the stuff went by van (about 2 miles away) but the
    cat went on the bike. Had no problems with the move.

    The one that *really* confused him was when I moved to the house next door but one....

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (Carol Hague) writes:

    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > >Senior Cat, for those interested, is to remain indoors under observation for 48 hours, and if
    > > >symptoms persist is to return to the vet on Wednesday (don't tell him that though :))
    > >
    > > Give Senior Cat some ear scritches from me.
    >
    > Thanks - I will.

    Our (extremely) senior cat has got a lot more relaxed and co-operative at the vets of recent years.
    It's not as if she goes that often, so she can't really be accused of 'getting used to it'.

    > > If Senior Cat were Waffles, I'd be having to watch out for revenge when I least expect it.
    > > Possibly in the form of steaming, vomited, partially digested, small rodent innards just where I
    > > put my foot of a morning when getting out of bed...

    > So do I. TED (I like that!) says he's most likely eaten a Warfarin-poisoned rodent

    Oi! I resemble that remark.

    ;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14? -- user 'Tackhead', in /.
    discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02

  18. Arthur Clune