Today's Ride

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

No, she didn't. That was me. Please keep your attributions straight.

> I'm not. This discussion is making me itch. Please take it elsewhere. rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> seems most suitable.

I was attempting to actually inject a ride report into the endless morass of h*lm*t rants and
speed camera drivel. The cat was instrumental in bringing the ride about so I thought it germane
to mention him. As for instance, someone describing a ride to the pub might mention what the
beer was like.

--
Carol Hague "I've given that viewpoint a lot of thought sir, and reached the following conclusion:
arseholes to the lot of 'em sir"

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Carol Hague) writes:

> > So do I. TED (I like that!) says he's most likely eaten a Warfarin-poisoned rodent
>
> Oi! I resemble that remark.

Why? Are you a vet? I don't mean to say that vets are evil - just that they must seem that way from
the cat's point of view...

Or are you a rodent ? Must be difficult getting a bike to fit in that case :)

--
Carol Hague "The glassblower's cat is bompstable"
- Dorothy L. Sayers, _Clouds of Witness_

Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

> The one that *really* confused him was when I moved to the house next door but one....

Now that's just *evil* :)

--
Carol Hague "I used to be confused, but now I just don't know."
- A-ha, "Blue Skies"

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
> >
> > Indeed. This is the only point to having a man about the house, isn't it? To have one's own
> > personal bike mechanic. Do they have any other uses?
> >

> Now if I said the only point in having a woman about the house is to clean,

The difference being that until comparatively recently many people (of

honestly believes that men's only use is repairing cycles.

I certainly don't consider Rob's only function to be that of an unpaid bike mechanic and I doubt
that Helen really looks on Vernon that way.

The humour is in the reversal of the stereotype, but if you don't find it funny, fair enough.

Rob is considerably more dextrous and has much more "mechanical sympathy" than I do, so it makes
sense for him to do any complicated mechanical work, because he'll make a much better job of it than
I would, in much less time. This being the case, I'm happy to be his assistant, finding parts and
tools, making tea and generally making the job easier if possible. (Although he's Not Very Good at
giving instructions :))

Even with less complex stuff, like changing inner tubes, he'll be much quicker than I am, so if he's
not too busy, he doesn't mind doing them for me, just as I don't mind dong things like checking
spelling for him.

--

Carol Hague wrote:

> I was attempting to actually inject a ride report into the endless morass of h*lm*t rants and
> speed camera drivel. The cat was instrumental in bringing the ride about so I thought it germane
> to mention him. As for instance, someone describing a ride to the pub might mention what the beer
> was like.

But was the cat wearing a h*lm*t? Could it be frightened by the flash from a speed camera?

I'll get my coat....

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

[email protected] (Carol Hague) writes:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Carol Hague) writes:
>
> > > So do I. TED (I like that!) says he's most likely eaten a Warfarin-poisoned rodent
> >
> > Oi! I resemble that remark.
>
> Why? [...] Or are you a rodent ? Must be difficult getting a bike to fit in that case :)

No, warfarin poisoned. 4.5Mg a day until January at least :-(

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately ;; 99% of users are using the
1% of browsers that can... [seen on /. 08:04:02]

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1g5c1sx.15xxk8e1rxzdbxN%[email protected]...

> > Now if I said the only point in having a woman about the house is to
clean,

> The difference being that until comparatively recently many people (of

> honestly believes that men's only use is repairing cycles.

Yawn, some people just don't have a SOH, do they?
___
Michael MacClancy

John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:

> Talking about cats and stuff, in the window of a pet shop in Holland I saw a dog trailer. Standard
> aluminium trailer, resembling a child trailer.

The one I used is a two-wheel Bluebird trailer. The standard trailer is a base to which you can add
different top sections. We have the side bars, but there are also child or dog trailer options
available.

I generally use a Bob Coz for the shopping, but I thought the Bluebird would be more stable for
transporting the cat.

> I guess though for cats you would need the accessory rhinoceros-skin gloves and the
> Daktari gun :)

<g> I doubt any cat would stay voluntarily in the trailer. And as for strapping one in a harness,
you probably would need those accessories.....The dogs I've seen riding in trailers seem to be
enjoying themselves, as far as I can tell.

> Sigh - just so. so many people there cycling in normal clothes. I saw soem people with two child
> seats on a normal bicycle, taking the kids to school.

Both child seats on the same bike? How did that fit? One on the rack and one on the crossbar?

--
Carol Hague

John Hearns wrote:

> Sigh - just so. so many people there cycling in normal clothes. I saw soem people with two child
> seats on a normal bicycle, taking the kids to school.

Sorry, John, but now you're just being ridiculous. It's /impossible/ to take children to school on a
bicycle or cycle in normal clothes. And in the rain. And try carrying shopping on one. Next you'll
be telling us that bicycles are a perfectly valid form of transport! Tch!

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Now if I said the only point in having a woman about the house is to clean,

> Ack, Tony - get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? If I recall correctly, there is
> often much mirth & merriment on this NG about various

> fairly recently

I think everybody's taken too many Grumpy Pills this week.

Possibly including me, as I've been a little sharper than usual in some of my replies.

Never mind, I shall take my trike out again tomorrow and bore you all rigid with my opinion of the
new "ergonomic" seat it's just been fitted with. So there.

--
Carol Hague "Oddly enough, I did once see a meteor explode. 1970s over Waterloo. Left an odd double
cloud. Scared the hell out of our goat, who had just begun to try to eat the oil truck fuel hose

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I was attempting to actually inject a ride report into the endless morass of h*lm*t rants and
> >speed camera drivel. The cat was instrumental in bringing the ride about so I thought it germane
> >to mention him. As for instance, someone describing a ride to the pub might mention what the beer
> >was like.
>
> And it was on topic! It was about cycling - with a cat as a passenger. Entirely on topic in this
> newsgroup.

Thanks Helen. Can't please everyone, I guess...

> Cheers, helen s (who has decals of a one-eyed black cat on her bikes)

And that Ian's always waffling on about his Cat-trike :)
--
Carol Hague "Regulation of acupuncture is a thorny issue." - Adrian White on Radio 4

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:41:16 +0000 (UTC), Chris Gerhard <no_spam@not_btclick.com> wrote:

> Carol Hague wrote:
>>
>> I was attempting to actually inject a ride report into the endless morass of h*lm*t rants and
>> speed camera drivel. The cat was instrumental in bringing the ride about so I thought it germane
>> to mention him. As for instance, someone describing a ride to the pub might mention what the beer
>> was like.
>>

> But was the cat wearing a h*lm*t?

You mean something like this...

http://www.ximenes.org.uk/img/cat41.jpg